Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

I live in a Glasgow Victorian tenement flat .The flats are about 100
years old . The flat two floors down from me has been having an
ongoing problem for some time with water ingress from the flat above
and the owner ( the flat is presently rented out while he is in
Germany) has been dragging his feet to get it sorted .Recently the
bathroom in the rented flat was renovated ,incl tiling the floor
(silly) .A week ago a burst in this flat while the tenant was out
caused the ceiling in the lower flat to cave in .The owners had to
seek the help of Fire & Rescue to break in to the flat above to sort
the problem ( they turned the CH water supply off as it was hot water
that was coming down).

The owner of the lower flat showed me the damage ( which is in two
rooms as a previous occurence had brought part of another ceiling
down) . While In the room affected by the most recent event he
muttered that someone had told him that the ceiling might have
asbestos in it but to me this sounds very unlikely . It's just the
original L+P ceiling as far as I could tell from what I saw when
looking up at the hole.

Is it really likely that asbestos was used in a ceiling ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 10:36*am, wrote:
[...]

no, why would one add expensive asbestos to cheap effective lime

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's
the boundary between flats though, it's possible that the fire
protection was upgraded at some point - possibly from above when the
dodgy pipework was installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 10:44, " wrote:
Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible. Send some double-
bagged samples to an analysing lab ib your area. £25 or £30 a sample,
I'd guess, calim on his insurance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:53:52 -0800 (PST), Onetap
wrote:

On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

I'm sure it was just a flat L+P ceiling .No Artex or anyhting
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:44:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's
the boundary between flats though, it's possible that the fire
protection was upgraded at some point - possibly from above when the
dodgy pipework was installed.

I very much doubt that .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:
On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

Only up to about 1984 IIRC - after that it is ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Nov 10, 10:36 am, wrote:
[...]

Never asbestos, but often some fibrous material added. Eraly composites
:-) Horsehair was a fairly normal additive I think.

Anna Kettle probably knows what is likely.

Anyway, nothing hazardous. Rip and skip it all out and plasterboard.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Onetap writes:
On 10 Nov, 10:44, " wrote:
Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible. Send some double-
bagged samples to an analysing lab ib your area. £25 or £30 a sample,
I'd guess, calim on his insurance.

Even if it does, it's perfectly safe as long as the ceiling stays
wet ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel