DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/264475-asbestos-old-victorian-ceiling.html)

[email protected] November 10th 08 10:36 AM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

I live in a Glasgow Victorian tenement flat .The flats are about 100
years old . The flat two floors down from me has been having an
ongoing problem for some time with water ingress from the flat above
and the owner ( the flat is presently rented out while he is in
Germany) has been dragging his feet to get it sorted .Recently the
bathroom in the rented flat was renovated ,incl tiling the floor
(silly) .A week ago a burst in this flat while the tenant was out
caused the ceiling in the lower flat to cave in .The owners had to
seek the help of Fire & Rescue to break in to the flat above to sort
the problem ( they turned the CH water supply off as it was hot water
that was coming down).

The owner of the lower flat showed me the damage ( which is in two
rooms as a previous occurence had brought part of another ceiling
down) . While In the room affected by the most recent event he
muttered that someone had told him that the ceiling might have
asbestos in it but to me this sounds very unlikely . It's just the
original L+P ceiling as far as I could tell from what I saw when
looking up at the hole.

Is it really likely that asbestos was used in a ceiling ?

Stuart

[email protected] November 10th 08 10:42 AM

On Nov 10, 10:36*am, wrote:
[...]

no, why would one add expensive asbestos to cheap effective lime

NT

[email protected] November 10th 08 10:44 AM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's
the boundary between flats though, it's possible that the fire
protection was upgraded at some point - possibly from above when the
dodgy pipework was installed.

Onetap November 10th 08 10:51 AM

On 10 Nov, 10:44, " wrote:
Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible. Send some double-
bagged samples to an analysing lab ib your area. £25 or £30 a sample,
I'd guess, calim on his insurance.

Onetap November 10th 08 10:53 AM

On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

[email protected] November 10th 08 11:36 AM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:53:52 -0800 (PST), Onetap
wrote:

On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

I'm sure it was just a flat L+P ceiling .No Artex or anyhting

[email protected] November 10th 08 11:37 AM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:44:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's
the boundary between flats though, it's possible that the fire
protection was upgraded at some point - possibly from above when the
dodgy pipework was installed.

I very much doubt that .

John Rumm November 10th 08 11:38 AM

Onetap wrote:
On 10 Nov, 10:51, Onetap wrote:

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible.

Possible, that is, if the lath & plaster ceiling had suffered later
embellishment with the ubiquitous textured coating.

Only up to about 1984 IIRC - after that it is ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher November 10th 08 12:53 PM

wrote:
On Nov 10, 10:36 am, wrote:
[...]

Never asbestos, but often some fibrous material added. Eraly composites
:-) Horsehair was a fairly normal additive I think.

Anna Kettle probably knows what is likely.

Anyway, nothing hazardous. Rip and skip it all out and plasterboard.

NT

Grimly Curmudgeon November 10th 08 01:06 PM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

While In the room affected by the most recent event he
muttered that someone had told him that the ceiling might have
asbestos in it but to me this sounds very unlikely . It's just the
original L+P ceiling as far as I could tell from what I saw when
looking up at the hole.

Is it really likely that asbestos was used in a ceiling ?

Nup. Highly unlikely - I know those old Glasgow ceilings from having
some fall on me as a kid and I can tell you there's all sorts of ****e
in the void, but asbestos is highly unlikely.
Did you notice if the ceiling void was filled with a clinkery material
for soundproofing?

[email protected] November 10th 08 01:15 PM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:06:07 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

While In the room affected by the most recent event he
muttered that someone had told him that the ceiling might have
asbestos in it but to me this sounds very unlikely . It's just the
original L+P ceiling as far as I could tell from what I saw when
looking up at the hole.

Is it really likely that asbestos was used in a ceiling ?

Nup. Highly unlikely - I know those old Glasgow ceilings from having
some fall on me as a kid and I can tell you there's all sorts of ****e
in the void, but asbestos is highly unlikely.
Did you notice if the ceiling void was filled with a clinkery material
for soundproofing?

Not that I noticed .If it's anything like what's under my floorboards
it will be any old **** as you say . It helps with soundproofing.

Anytime I had boards up I just swept the crap lying around in to the
gap .

Andrew Gabriel November 10th 08 02:56 PM

Asbestos In Old Victorian Ceiling

In article ,
Onetap writes:
On 10 Nov, 10:44, " wrote:
Not as far as I'm aware in lathe and plaster ceilings. Because it's

White asbestos was used in Artex, so it is possible. Send some double-
bagged samples to an analysing lab ib your area. £25 or £30 a sample,
I'd guess, calim on his insurance.

Even if it does, it's perfectly safe as long as the ceiling stays
wet ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel