Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elfin safety at B&Q

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The storeperson told me she 'couldn't under any circumstances' sell
the device to me, for 'Health and Safety' reasons. When I asked what
those reasons were, she told me that some of the packaging seemed to
missing. I persisted. She insisted that "You might not have all the
instructions, and cut your finger off. Then you could sue us. It's for
your own good......"

I pointed out that, in the more than 50-odd years I'd been using
tools, powered and unpowered, I'd somehow managed to hang on to my
original ten fingers.... but she was adamant. It would not be sold.

So I left without the table saw - and the trolley-full of other stuff
I'd selected.

Would someone please tell me how we can rid ourselves of these
creatures?

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
Safety first Nick UK diy 14 April 26th 06 10:40 PM
TS Safety Tanus Woodworking 10 April 18th 06 10:02 PM
Safety First Moe Home Repair 1 December 26th 05 03:27 PM