Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soak away and Planning Regs

Planning regs say that a soak away has to be 5 metres form the house but the
front boundary is less than 5 metres from the house.
Does that mean that planning wont be granted?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Planning regs say that a soak away has to be 5 metres form the house but
the front boundary is less than 5 metres from the house.
Does that mean that planning wont be granted?

Kevin

Building regs surely?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Zen83237 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Planning regs say that a soak away has to be 5 metres form the house but
the front boundary is less than 5 metres from the house.
Does that mean that planning wont be granted?

Kevin

Building regs surely?...

Building regs, almost certainly, but the answer should still be "No".

Anyone living in that house should be pleased that "No" is the answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Planning regs say that a soak away has to be 5 metres form the house but the
front boundary is less than 5 metres from the house.
Does that mean that planning wont be granted?

Kevin

No. You need to talk to the BCO and architect and use a system that is
specced for such: I have seen bloody great deep holes with some sort of
porous rings lining it for 'close to the house' soakaways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...

Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

I am not sure it works that way.

you can surely have planning permission for something without specifying
te details of how its built. My sketches got planning permission: It was
only later on that the details were drawn up to comply with building
regulatons

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Zen83237" writes:
Planning regs say that a soak away has to be 5 metres form the house but the
front boundary is less than 5 metres from the house.
Does that mean that planning wont be granted?

You may be able to get permission from the company who handles
your sewage waste for you to discharge rain water into the
sewage system. It depends if they think their system in that
location can safely handle the volume from the surface area
affected. This is routine in older urban areas where there's
no space for soakaways and just one water disposal system.
A friend who lives in a rural area got permission without
any problems (much to my surprise).

If you do this, you will need to show a copy of the letter
granting this permission to the BCO, and include the sewer
modifications in your building regs application. You will
also be charged for the rainwater disposal in your water
bill (although it seems many people are already charged
for this, even though they aren't doing so).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...

Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

That seems ridiculas then. At the moment the rain falls on my front garden
and soaks into the ground that is closer to the house than 5 metre. I want
to pave over the front garden and the soak away has to be more than 5
metres.
So I leave it as it is and it is ok.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...

Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

That seems ridiculas then. At the moment the rain falls on my front garden
and soaks into the ground that is closer to the house than 5 metre. I want
to pave over the front garden and the soak away has to be more than 5
metres.
So I leave it as it is and it is ok.

Kevin

There is a big difference between water falling on the bare compared to
water running on a paved patio. When the rain falls on the bare ground, it
soaks through to find its own level and disperse slowly away. If a patio
catches the water, if it not to a proper standard, it can lie against the
building and other structures and cause rising damp and rot.

That is why drainage and structure are important in all things attached or
built around your property. Drainage and sewage come under the water act,
so need permission if changes are to be made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...

Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

That seems ridiculas then. At the moment the rain falls on my front garden
and soaks into the ground that is closer to the house than 5 metre. I want
to pave over the front garden and the soak away has to be more than 5
metres.
So I leave it as it is and it is ok.

Well thats the way the building regulations work.

You can have a single glazed tar paper covered house and no one
minds..until you do major work on it. At that point you had better do
that work to the correct standards, or face a lot of trouble.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Zen83237 wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...
Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

That seems ridiculas then. At the moment the rain falls on my front
garden and soaks into the ground that is closer to the house than 5
metre. I want to pave over the front garden and the soak away has to be
more than 5 metres.
So I leave it as it is and it is ok.

Well thats the way the building regulations work.

You can have a single glazed tar paper covered house and no one
minds..until you do major work on it. At that point you had better do
that work to the correct standards, or face a lot of trouble.

Or learn to keep quiet ;-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...
Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if the
drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.

Owain

That seems ridiculas then. At the moment the rain falls on my front
garden and soaks into the ground that is closer to the house than 5
metre. I want to pave over the front garden and the soak away has to be
more than 5 metres.
So I leave it as it is and it is ok.

Well thats the way the building regulations work.

You can have a single glazed tar paper covered house and no one
minds..until you do major work on it. At that point you had better do
that work to the correct standards, or face a lot of trouble.

Or learn to keep quiet ;-

But they catch you out with the introduction of "the seller has to have the
property surveyed" not the buyer, now-a-days. Then you have to show that
all installations have been carried out to the current requirements of the
time.

OK if you know that you ain't gonna' move house again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

But they catch you out with the introduction of "the seller has to have
the
property surveyed" not the buyer, now-a-days. Then you have to show that
all installations have been carried out to the current requirements of the
time.

OK if you know that you ain't gonna' move house again.

Not actually the case. The HIP doesn't (yet) cover any of this. The buyer's
solicitor may (probably will) ask for details of any Part P and Part L work
undertaken. You are free to decline to answer. In practise, buyer's
solicitors are easily pacified with the offer to buy indemnity insurance at
around 100 quid (been down that road).

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Owain wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Building regs surely?...

Planning regs can specify how surface water is disposed of, and if
the drainage in an area is inadequate then planning can be refused.
Owain

I am not sure it works that way.

you can surely have planning permission for something without
specifying te details of how its built. My sketches got planning
permission: It was only later on that the details were drawn up to
comply with building regulatons

A cautionary tale... my grandfather had a substantial T shaped house
built in Cambridgeshire, sometime in the '30's. I don't know what the
subsoils are (possibly chalk) but the surface is alluvial sand.

A local builder got the job and misread the plans with the result that
the sink waste from the kitchen arrived at 90deg. to the inspection pit
alignment. Rather than build an additional (brick) pit he simply
installed a 90deg. bend part way along the route.

By the time my aunt inherited the place in 1950 it was impossible to
open the bathroom window (metal frame Crittal). As an impoverished
spinster teaching infants at the local school, my aunt had neither
interest or funds to attempt repairs. Gradually it became apparent that
one leg of the T was subsiding. Still nothing was done!

Eventually, my Aunt suffered a stroke and came to live at the farm, the
house was sold. I kept in touch with the new owners who had immediately
set about underpinning.

Apparently, the entire cause of the subsidence was damage to the 90deg.
bend caused by over vigorous rodding. From memory, this would put
kitchen dirty water into the ground less than 2m from the house
foundation.

regards

--
Tim Lamb