Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Planning regs/permission for river bridge?

I haven't found anything about this, so sorry if it's been asked
before.

We live near a river, and one of our neighbours has built a wooden
bridge across the river from his garden that backs onto it, across to
the other side.

Would he have needed planning permission to do this? The river is not
deep but is navigable by small craft and has been used by canoeists in
the past (although I admit I've not seen any for a few months) and I
wonder if this would obstruct the canoeists (it goes straight across,
not far above water level, so there would be no room for a canoe or
boat to get under it.)

The reason I ask is because we're not all that happy about him doing
it as we think it looks ugly (it's a bit of a cowboy job to look at,
made of various old bits of wood), and it spoils our view of the
river. I don't want to be a b******d, but I wondered what the legal
position is, before I say anything to him. If it's OK to do this, I
guess there's nothing we can do and we'll just have to get used to it.
It's a shame, because the river view was what attracted us to live
here in the first place (the house is nothing special but we liked the
location/view).

Any idea how to find out, who to contact etc.? I'm not sure what the
legalities are, but I believe there are certain responsibilities
associated with living next to a river, keeping it free from
obstruction, etc.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Flummoxed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Flummoxed" wrote:
[...]

Might be worth posting this in uk.legal if not already posted there. The
Building Control department at your local council deals with planning
permission and building regulations, so it is worth asking them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flummoxed wrote:
I haven't found anything about this, so sorry if it's been asked
before.

We live near a river, and one of our neighbours has built a wooden
bridge across the river from his garden that backs onto it, across to
the other side.

Would he have needed planning permission to do this? The river is not
deep but is navigable by small craft and has been used by canoeists in
the past (although I admit I've not seen any for a few months) and I
wonder if this would obstruct the canoeists (it goes straight across,
not far above water level, so there would be no room for a canoe or
boat to get under it.)

The Environment Agency are responsible for rivers
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...sion=1&lang=_e

If he has blocked off the navigation I reckon they might have something to
say about it.

What's the name of the river?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Flummoxed" wrote in
ps.com:

[...]

Who owns the land the other end of the bridge rests on?
Has the owner of the land on the other side given his permission for a
bridge to "sit" on it?

I am sure that it is a trespass to sit an end of a bridge on land, but
only if the owner of that land decides to take action can/will anything
be done.

Further questions: Who owns the river? Does the boundary of adjacent
land run down the middle of the river? Does anyone have a right-of-way
along the river?

All in all a legal nighmare !

Terry W.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The bridge does require planning permission and you can check with your
local planning authority to see if there is permission. He would also need
permission from the EA. If he does not own the land on the other side then
he would need permission from the landowner as well.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies so far. The person concerned owns the land on
both sides, as far as we know, so they wouldn't have had to get
permission from another landowner.

Looking into it further, I understand that probably means he owns the
riverbed too. So maybe he's allowed to do it.

I believe he has a responsibility not to block the river flow or
anything like that, but this bridge wouldn't affect the river flow.

(I'd rather not say where it is because of the possibility of him
seeing this and guessing it's me!)

Looks as if the Environment Agency might be worth contacting.

Unfortunately I doubt we will have much of a case, because it's just
our view that's affected, and these days that doesn't seem to count
for much with the authorities :-(

Cheers

Flummoxed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies so far. The person concerned owns the land on
both sides, as far as we know, so they wouldn't have had to get
permission from another landowner.

Looking into it further, I understand that probably means he owns the
riverbed too. So maybe he's allowed to do it.

I believe he has a responsibility not to block the river flow or
anything like that, but this bridge wouldn't affect the river flow.

(I'd rather not say where it is because of the possibility of him
seeing this and guessing it's me!)

Looks as if the Environment Agency might be worth contacting.

Unfortunately I doubt we will have much of a case, because it's just
our view that's affected, and these days that doesn't seem to count
for much with the authorities :-(

Far from it. The rules on development in the countryside are quite strict.
It is certainly worth talking to the local planning authority. Likewise the
EA are very strict and AFAIK have a policy against granting permission
retrospectively.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flummoxed wrote:
Would he have needed planning permission to do this? The river is not
deep but is navigable by small craft and has been used by canoeists in
the past (although I admit I've not seen any for a few months) and I
wonder if this would obstruct the canoeists (it goes straight across,
not far above water level, so there would be no room for a canoe or
boat to get under it.)

Canoeists have no rights over the water whatsoever - I am one! Unless
there's a historic right of navigation that is, and in practice that
normally seems to mean the sort of thing you could get a narrowboat
along. Basically (small) watercourses don't exist under the law in
England and Wales - they're just flooded land.

(see http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Canoeists/ if you want more info)

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flummoxed wrote:
I don't suppose you feel like mentioning what the river is do you? It
would be worth mentioning to other paddlers if a new obstruction has
appeared.
Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Feb, 12:17, "Flummoxed" wrote:
[...]

Ring the relevant agencies, and tell them you are thinking of putting
a bridge across the river, and ask them what's involved. I'm sure you
could let slip that there is one next door without meaning too :=))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was the first bridge put in because the guy didn't like canoeists ?

Nick