Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windy Cellar Photos

I've finally finished the windy cellar. I thought those who found the
interesting, might like to see the end product.

Here's a picture of the stairs. They wound to the right at the top, so
I rejigged them to go more straight on:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...tairsF-1-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the rear of the cellar and the subterranian
window. Is that clutter gathering already?
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...larRearF-2.jpg

The front of the cellar showing the location of the fault in the floor
and the wall. I've made both openings a little smaller.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...ntRightF-1.jpg

A close up of where the wind comes from:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...ckRightF-1.jpg

And finally the fault as it goes up the other wall. The opening is now
about 1/2 the size it was.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...ackLeftF-1.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've finally finished the windy cellar. I thought those who found the
interesting, might like to see the end product.

Fascinating - I'll send you some pictures of my damp garage caused by
a fault in the roofing!

That cellar could be turned in to quite a feature, it looks good now.
Why not block the hole up or find out exactly where the wind is
coming from?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Impressive - looks like an igloo!

How did you go about treating/painting the walls to get that icy finish?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

That is utterly the dog's plums!

You just got a free room and guaranteed viewings if you every decide to
sell.

Are you going to install funky lighting or go with the oil lamps? I think
either would look good.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

I've finally finished the windy cellar.

snip

Excellent job. Istr you wrote the entrance was under a flagstone at the
front of the house - is that right? Does that make it awkward to use the
cellar? Any indication as to why it was filled in, at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 08:35, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

I've finally finished the windy cellar.

snip

Excellent job. Istr you wrote the entrance was under a flagstone at the
front of the house - is that right? Does that make it awkward to use the
cellar? Any indication as to why it was filled in, at all?

A piccie of the outside and flagstone etc., would be interesting!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

The stairs go up inside my house, near the front door. I intend to
make an oak trapdoor - I have already installed the frame in 6"x6" oak
beams - nice and sturdy!

The flagstone was outside, and covered a hole that was big enough for
a slender person to slide through. In the cellar, an area of vaulted
ceiling had been knocked out. It looked to me like the hole was made
initially for ventilation, but over time got bigger, as more of the
ceiling had collapsed. There was another smaller area of collapse
where a pipe had been taken through the ceiling to ventilate a
fireplace. Both these areas are now repaired.

The icy finish is a combination of flash photography, gloop, and
limewash. I repointed a fair bit of the stonework, but as everything
was pretty dirty and muddy, particularly where the walls were the
bedrock, I glooped the whole cellar before limewashing it. Gloop, as I
call it, is a 1:1 lime and sand mixed to the consistency of thick
paint and applied with a round brush. I tried various sands for this,
block-paving sand making the finest gloop with the sparklyest finish.
I also put in a limecrete floor.

I'm definitely keeping the fault open; it's my ready-made radon sump,
and I like the fresh air.

There will be lighting and a couple of sockets down there eventually.