Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom fan for windy area?

We are replacing an Xpelair DX100 in the ceiling of a shower room in the
loft, which is extracting vertically through a very short stack. The fan
and its back-draught shutter are not able to handle the strong gusts
that we experience here. After about 18 months with a clattering
shutter, and progressively increasing bearing rumble when the fan is
running, the fan motor has gone open-circuit.

Please can anyone recommend something that's more up to the job?

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Ian White" wrote in message

We are replacing an Xpelair DX100 in the ceiling of a shower room in the
loft, which is extracting vertically through a very short stack. The fan
and its back-draught shutter are not able to handle the strong gusts that
we experience here. After about 18 months with a clattering shutter, and
progressively increasing bearing rumble when the fan is running, the fan
motor has gone open-circuit.

Please can anyone recommend something that's more up to the job?

Remove the outlet, extend to the eaves and fit an eaves outlet facing down.
Removes the problem almost entirely

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message

We are replacing an Xpelair DX100 in the ceiling of a shower room in the
loft, which is extracting vertically through a very short stack. The fan
and its back-draught shutter are not able to handle the strong gusts that
we experience here. After about 18 months with a clattering shutter, and
progressively increasing bearing rumble when the fan is running, the fan
motor has gone open-circuit.

Please can anyone recommend something that's more up to the job?

Remove the outlet, extend to the eaves and fit an eaves outlet facing down.
Removes the problem almost entirely

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. The entire shower room is in
the loft, so that suggestion isn't a practical option.

--
Ian White