Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler trips rcd when weather is wet and windy

Hello,
For the last 2 or 3 months the RCD in our consumer unit has started to
trip intermittently. All the sockets and boiler are on this circuit.
The RCD only ever trips when it is wet and windy and always happens in
the evening. After much unplugging and testing sockets I've finally
traced the problem to the boiler. The last time the RCD tripped and I
reset it I noticed that it stayed on for a few seconds, then when the
boiler fired up it trips. So here's what I have done so far:

RCD tripped (Wet and windy weather outside)
Turned boiler off and room thermostat to zero
Reset RCD - it stayed up
Turned on boiler - RCD still OK
Turned room thermostat up to fire up boiler - RCD tripped straight
away

To discount the pump I unwired it - the RCD still tripped when
turning the thermostat to fire up the boiler.

So I was thinking that this could be the room thermostat but then
thought it's more likely to be the boiler. With just the hot water on
the RCD didn't trip but this could be due to the hot water cylinder
being full so the boiler wasn't heating any water.

What's puzzling me is why this only happens in wet and windy weather
and only when the boiler fires up. The boiler is in the garage and has
a vent pipe that goes out the side of the garage wall. What would be
the next best cause of action? Get an electrician or plumber in or is
there something else that I can do to further diagnose?

Thanks

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:

[...]

you already know how to divice and conquer, just carry on, divide more
until youre only left with one thing that must be at fault. Then it
will likely be easy enough to see why its tripping.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:

[...]

What actually switches the boiler on? Have you got any motorised valves? If
so - certainly in CH-only mode - it will be a valve actuator which switches
the boiler on after the programmer/room stat have told the valve to motor to
the CH position.

So it could be a valve - rather than the boiler itself - which is causing
the RCD to trip. I've no idea why this only happens in wet and windy
conditions - unless the valve is located somewhere where rain water could be
blown into its electrics.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello,
Thanks for the replys - the RCD tripped again today (wet and windy
weather again).
With the central heating off, the RCD trips when the hot water comes on
as well.
The winds died down and the rains stopped and I can get CH and HW both
on without tripping the RCD.

I had a look at the vent that comes out of the top of the boiler and
I'm wondering if this could be the problem - the boiler vents out of
the top, theres then a 90 degree bend and the the vent pipe goes
through the garage wall and outside - this horizontal vent pipe to the
outside is actually at an angle - it slopes down to the boiler - I
would have tought that it should slope away from the boiler - could it
be that the wind is blowing rainwater into the vent and then this is
running into the boiler?

I'm unable to see any other valves that could get wet.

Thanks

Pete

Roger Mills wrote:
Pete wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Pete
writes
Hello,
For the last 2 or 3 months the RCD in our consumer unit has started to
trip intermittently.

What boiler ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:

I had a look at the vent that comes out of the top of the boiler and
I'm wondering if this could be the problem - the boiler vents out of
the top, theres then a 90 degree bend and the the vent pipe goes
through the garage wall and outside - this horizontal vent pipe to the
outside is actually at an angle - it slopes down to the boiler - I
would have tought that it should slope away from the boiler - could it
be that the wind is blowing rainwater into the vent and then this is
running into the boiler?

Is it a condensing boiler? If so then then flue should slope back toward
the boiler, and it will be designed to accept water running into the
flue. If however it is a conventional boiler then the flue should slope
away from it a little.

Perhaps positioning a baffle a little in front of the flue to block the
wind/rain would help diagnose if tis is the problem?

--
Cheers,

John.

Comsumer unit RCD trips on non-RCD protected circuit activity ian UK diy 4 April 25th 06 08:59 PM
Nuisance RCD TRips puffernutter UK diy 18 May 24th 05 04:53 PM
RCD Trips puffernutter UK diy 18 April 27th 05 12:05 AM
RCD - all MCBs off (no L) + no N-output from RCD connected (no N) = still trips instantly dorothy UK diy 11 November 3rd 04 11:15 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM