Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fibreglass insulation / inhalation...

I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 1:58*am, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Less than a day IME.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Less than a day IME.

Bugger...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 7:58*pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

You used fiberglass without protection, its glass in your lungs, why
would vomiting help. a mask is not good a respitator is. You know of
asbestos, smoke, pollution. So you have glass in your lungs, some
might never go away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

Sounds like you may have acquired a throat infection...

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Usually no more than a day, perhaps two at most. The irritation from
glass fibre tends to be respiratory rather than in the throat IME.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Wilson
o.uk saying something
like:

I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Worst I've had with that has been a few days of throat irritation - for
ages now I've been using decent masks up lofts. The worst stuff is
ancient f/glass that's went powdery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You used fiberglass without protection, its glass in your lungs, why
would vomiting help. a mask is not good a respitator is. You know of
asbestos, smoke, pollution. So you have glass in your lungs, some
might never go away.

I know - bad move...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like you may have acquired a throat infection...

It just seems odd that I didn't have it when I went up there, and did
an hour later...

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Usually no more than a day, perhaps two at most. The irritation from
glass fibre tends to be respiratory rather than in the throat IME.

It is slightly respiratory (I get it if I breath through my nose or
mouth), but feels more like a clump is wedged in the back of my throat

I really was breathing hard though (bad back / regd disabled) and I
literally couldn't move for over an hour to even get a drink when I
got out - next time my missus wants me to try DIY I think i'll have to
tell her to give it a go first :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sounds like you may have acquired a throat infection...

It just seems odd that I didn't have it when I went up there, and did
an hour later...

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

Usually no more than a day, perhaps two at most. The irritation from
glass fibre tends to be respiratory rather than in the throat IME.

It is slightly respiratory (I get it if I breath through my nose or
mouth), but feels more like a clump is wedged in the back of my throat

I really was breathing hard though (bad back / regd disabled) and I
literally couldn't move for over an hour to even get a drink when I
got out - next time my missus wants me to try DIY I think i'll have to
tell her to give it a go first :-(

Definitely time to get a good mask. I got on OK today playing amongst the
glass wool and mouse plops with a decent but simple nose/mouth mask. Mine
was better that the ones down B&Q but still basically a bit of paper with
two bits of elastic.

And I do have good ventilation to the area.

Could you cope with a full face mask?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Definitely time to get a good mask

I know...

Could you cope with a full face mask?

Probably, but hopefully this will be a one-time-only job (putting in
loft boards) so it probably won't be worth going too overboard :-}

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Definitely time to get a good mask. I got on OK today playing amongst the
glass wool and mouse plops with a decent but simple nose/mouth mask. Mine
was better that the ones down B&Q but still basically a bit of paper with
two bits of elastic.

The 3M disposable respirators are very good IMHO. About £15 a pop, and
one lasts a fair bit of time with occasional use. They fit the face very
well and make a good seal. They have a exhaust vent that directs the hot
wet air away from goggles / glasses etc, and filter fine particulates
and vapour.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The 3M disposable respirators are very good IMHO. About £15 a pop, and
one lasts a fair bit of time with occasional use. They fit the face very
well and make a good seal. They have a exhaust vent that directs the hot
wet air away from goggles / glasses etc, and filter fine particulates
and vapour.

Funnily enough I was just looking at one of them...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/...ar/Protective-
Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator

(or http://tinyurl.com/5ad5g4 )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:

I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

Sounds like you may have acquired a throat infection...

I had the same problem, turned into a bad cold and sore throat,
initially I blamed it on the rockwool too, but I wore a mask. Since
then I have recovered from the cold and done some more and had no
problems, it was just strange the way infection hit at the same time,
just coincidence I reckon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 1:58*am, Colin Wilson wrote:
I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and I've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat.

It sounds to me that you did the job at the least auspicious time for
you to do so. I think you are prone to the sort of virus that causes
rhinitis and to aches and pains related to arthritis and rheumatism.

The most immediate relief is cooling the neck /.top of the chest and
taking a few aspirin.

Cut out all sugary foods and eat vitamin D rich ones. A vitamin C
boost will also help. I've been watching the same effect on my own
half decrepit remains at the same time as you.

Here is a thread you might find interesting:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...3b47fcfd77091c
(or not, as the case might be.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Definitely time to get a good mask. I got on OK today playing
amongst the glass wool and mouse plops with a decent but simple
nose/mouth mask. Mine was better that the ones down B&Q but still
basically a bit of paper with two bits of elastic.

The 3M disposable respirators are very good IMHO. About £15 a pop, and
one lasts a fair bit of time with occasional use. They fit the face
very well and make a good seal. They have a exhaust vent that directs
the hot wet air away from goggles / glasses etc, SNIP

Does that mean they don't make your glasses steam up? In which case I'll
have to get one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Definitely time to get a good mask. I got on OK today playing
amongst the glass wool and mouse plops with a decent but simple
nose/mouth mask. Mine was better that the ones down B&Q but still
basically a bit of paper with two bits of elastic.

The 3M disposable respirators are very good IMHO. About £15 a pop, and
one lasts a fair bit of time with occasional use. They fit the face
very well and make a good seal. They have a exhaust vent that directs
the hot wet air away from goggles / glasses etc, SNIP

Does that mean they don't make your glasses steam up? In which case I'll
have to get one.

Yup, there is a rubber baffle over the filters on the inside that
prevents the exit air going back out of them, instead it all goes via
the little grill on the nose section - which is angled down and away
from the eyes.

They have good straps and adjusters as well that means you can get them
to pull against the face in all the right places so you don't just end
up breathing through a gap.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

I ended up inhaling a load of the stuff in the loft on Monday last
week, and i've been suffering ever since with irritation at the back
of my throat (ranges from feeling uncomfortable making me cough to try
to clear it, to wanting to throw up to see if it helps :-} )

How long does it take to clear your system normally, because it's
driving me feckin' crackers ?

I did read many years ago that glass fibres that lodge in the lung
take about sixty days to dissolve in lung fluid, rendering their
potential harmful effects as being far less likely to occur than those
of asbestos, which doesn't dissolve at all in lung fluid...

Your throat problem, as others have said, is probably unrelated to the
glass-fibre, possibly more to do with dust and bacteria disturbed
while carrying out the work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cod Roe writes:

I had the same problem, turned into a bad cold and sore throat,
initially I blamed it on the rockwool too, but I wore a mask. Since
then I have recovered from the cold and done some more and had no
problems, it was just strange the way infection hit at the same time,
just coincidence I reckon.

Doesn't seem implausible that irritation and soreness
provided better opportunity for entry of a virus, but
could just be coincidence. OTOH, it could have been
purely a cold, and not the rockwool at all.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Fields writes:
I did read many years ago that glass fibres that lodge in the lung
take about sixty days to dissolve in lung fluid, rendering their
potential harmful effects as being far less likely to occur than those
of asbestos, which doesn't dissolve at all in lung fluid...

Providing you aren't a smoker, there's a steady stream of mucus
moved up from your lungs to your throat which clears this sort
of debris from the lungs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been watching the same effect on my own half decrepit
remains at the same time as you.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt... diseased disc in the base of
my spine, neck and arm problems following a collision with a HGV back
in 2001 etc etc.