Bharat P. Baliga-Savel

Default Wall insulation (cellulose v/s fibreglass)

folks:

i just went thro' few bids about insulating my walls. All of them were
competitive, except one: while all of them were putting cellulose the
exception was putting fibreglass and hence $250 over the cellulose.

according to him, cellulose settles over time, while fibreglass does
not. this sounds like a very basic problem with cellulose. is this true?
also, cellulose is "susceptible to moisture".. not sure what that means.

any comments about these two?

thanx
=b
Bharat P. Baliga-Savel Cisco Systems Inc./RTG/CCMSBU/HFR
--
In the force, if yoda is strong, talk straight why can't he?
Tony Hwang

Bharat P. Baliga-Savel wrote:
folks:

i just went thro' few bids about insulating my walls. All of them were
competitive, except one: while all of them were putting cellulose the
exception was putting fibreglass and hence $250 over the cellulose.

according to him, cellulose settles over time, while fibreglass does
not. this sounds like a very basic problem with cellulose. is this true?
also, cellulose is "susceptible to moisture".. not sure what that means.

any comments about these two?

thanx
=b

Hi,
Cellulose tends to absorb moisture and sag compared to fiberglass.
Known fact from the field experience. Have enough on the ceiling?
Good luck,
Tony
effi

"Bharat P. Baliga-Savel" wrote in message
folks:

i just went thro' few bids about insulating my walls. All of them were
competitive, except one: while all of them were putting cellulose the
exception was putting fibreglass and hence $250 over the cellulose.

according to him, cellulose settles over time, while fibreglass does
not. this sounds like a very basic problem with cellulose. is this true?
also, cellulose is "susceptible to moisture".. not sure what that means.

any comments about these two?

thanx
=b
Bharat P. Baliga-Savel Cisco Systems
Inc./RTG/CCMSBU/HFR
--
In the force, if yoda is strong, talk straight why can't he?

cellulose settles and also causes dust in your house 24/7 when not entirely
sealed from the interior of your house (tough to do, hvac ducting breathes
and cellulose gets in); cellulose is usually recycled newspaper with fire
retardent added; cellulose can be about a 30% radiant barrier; cellulose
seals against (stops) wind - wind doesn't go through it; if cellulose gets
wet it is destroyed

fiberglass is glass fibers; fiberglass is not a radiant barrier; fiberglass
doesn't seal against (stop) wind - wind goes through it; if fiberglass gets
wet it can be dried and reused

SQLit

"Bharat P. Baliga-Savel" wrote in message
folks:

i just went thro' few bids about insulating my walls. All of them were
competitive, except one: while all of them were putting cellulose the
exception was putting fibreglass and hence $250 over the cellulose.

according to him, cellulose settles over time, while fibreglass does
not. this sounds like a very basic problem with cellulose. is this true?
also, cellulose is "susceptible to moisture".. not sure what that means.

any comments about these two?

thanx
=b

My home circa 1999 has fiberglass for all of the vertical and cellulose for
all of the horizontal.

Philip Lewis

"effi" writes:
fiberglass is glass fibers; fiberglass is not a radiant barrier; fiberglass

and in extreme temps, fiberglass loses some of it's insulative
properties... or so I've heard.

Dense pack cellulose shouldn't settle much. (top it off in 5-10 years perhaps?)

Wet pack cellulose doesn't settle at all. (held in place by a glue
matrix i think)

I also think cellulose has a higher r value.

--
be safe.
flip

effi

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
"effi" writes:
fiberglass is glass fibers; fiberglass is not a radiant barrier;
fiberglass

and in extreme temps, fiberglass loses some of it's insulative
properties... or so I've heard.

Dense pack cellulose shouldn't settle much. (top it off in 5-10 years
perhaps?)

fiberglass = no need to top it off in 5-10 years

Wet pack cellulose doesn't settle at all. (held in place by a glue
matrix i think)

I also think cellulose has a higher r value.

it can

unless more fiberglass is used ; )

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

Philip Lewis

"effi" writes:

fiberglass = no need to top it off in 5-10 years

well... with less R in the walls.

I also think cellulose has a higher r value.

it can [...] unless more fiberglass is used ; )

don't have it in front of me, but i thought the OP was retrofiting
wall cavities. kinda hard to put a 2 inch thick layer in a 3.5 inch
thick cavity....

I've been pondering the best route to go insulation wise for a while
now. I'd really like to go foam... best R per inch and seals air
leaks. Cellulose is a close second. (next best R and some air
infiltration protection)

I can't seem to find anyone who'll do the foam locally.
there is a DIY site with a low expanding DIY foam... www.fomofoam.com
IIRC. Kinda expensive, but then so is our winter gas bill.

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

George E. Cawthon

Bharat P. Baliga-Savel wrote:
folks:

i just went thro' few bids about insulating my walls. All of them were
competitive, except one: while all of them were putting cellulose the
exception was putting fibreglass and hence $250 over the cellulose.

according to him, cellulose settles over time, while fibreglass does
not. this sounds like a very basic problem with cellulose. is this true?
also, cellulose is "susceptible to moisture".. not sure what that means.

any comments about these two?

thanx
=b

Depends on how it is put in. Fiberglass in batts doesn't sag.
Fiberglass blown in does. Flat on the ceiling, 15 inches of blown in
fiber glass will compress to about 1/2inch when stepped on and will
stay that way. a 6 inch batt will rise back to 5-1/2 inches almost
immediately. Don't know how you would put stuff in your walls
without blowing it in. The blown in dry fiberglass will settle, so
will blown in dry cellulose.