Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default CH problem

Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly &
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I have
set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima 1001 combi
boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher range. When
rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to advance to next
heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the programmer to off &
then switch on after a little while rads do heat again. It is quite worrying
that I can't keep a constant temperature with the baby at home.

All suggestions most welcome.

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Morrison" wrote in message
Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly &
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I have
set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima 1001
combi boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher range.
When rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to advance
to next heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the programmer
to off & then switch on after a little while rads do heat again. It is
quite worrying that I can't keep a constant temperature with the baby at
home.

All suggestions most welcome.

Andy.

Not familiar with your boiler but you don't say anything about a room
thermostat - is there one and, if so, has it been turned down during the
summer? What happens if you put the heating on with the continuous setting?

Peter

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, no room thermostat but all rads have their
own fitted. When switched to the continuous setting the rads heat up & cut
out again. Even when room cools it doesn't auto switch on again.

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Andy Morrison wrote:
Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly

And does the boiler stop running at that point? You don't have a room
thermostat somewhere as well I suppose? If the boiler carries on
running, try turning the rad thermostats up.
Sorry, not very technical, but sometimes it's the obvious things that
get overlooked.
Good luck with new babe.

&
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I
have set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima
1001 combi boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher
range. When rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to
advance to next heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the
programmer to off & then switch on after a little while rads do heat
again. It is quite worrying that I can't keep a constant temperature
with the baby at home.

All suggestions most welcome.

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Andy Morrison wrote:
[...]

The rad stats will just control the flow of water through the rads. If
the boiler is not firing then it does not matter what the rads are set
to as the water will be cold. So is the timer or some room stat
controlling the boiler. Something must be telling the boiler when to
burn and when not.

Is there a thermostat on the boiler? is that high enough? If the
circulating water is cold the problem must be with the boiler. If hot
it must be the rads. Sorry I'm not really helping at all.

Good luck with the baby, oh and many years ago our health visitor said
most babies suffered from over heated rather than underheated rooms.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chewbacca writes:
The rad stats will just control the flow of water through the rads. If
the boiler is not firing then it does not matter what the rads are set
to as the water will be cold. So is the timer or some room stat
controlling the boiler. Something must be telling the boiler when to
burn and when not.

I would start by turning all the rad valves to max, to rule them
out of the problem. Also, get a room thermometer, position it away
from the radiator (but not on the opposite wall either), and tell
us what it reports when the heating is first switched on, when the
boiler cuts off, and when it cuts back on again.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Morrison" wrote in message
Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly &
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I have
set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima 1001
combi boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher range.
When rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to advance
to next heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the programmer
to off & then switch on after a little while rads do heat again. It is
quite worrying that I can't keep a constant temperature with the baby at
home.

All suggestions most welcome.

Have you re pressurised the system lately? Is the boiler providing hot water
OK? Check the pump is running by listening to it. Try turning up the boiler
stat. Have you turned up other rads in the system? Check these and come back
with the results.

Mike

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Could the boiler be overheating - if all the thermostatic valves close and
there isn't a room stat - and maybe no proper by-pass then it could overheat
and trip.

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Morrison" wrote in message
Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly &
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I have
set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima 1001
combi boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher range.
When rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to advance
to next heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the programmer
to off & then switch on after a little while rads do heat again. It is
quite worrying that I can't keep a constant temperature with the baby at
home.

All suggestions most welcome.

Andy.

When you say All reds have a TRV, do you mean All?
I was under the impression you left one without so that the system could
continue to pump if needed. Usually the bathroom rad?
Maybe the pumps cutting out due to this?
I'd try putting one rad to max and seeing if the problem goes away..

Mat

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Mat C" wrote in message

[...]

There is usually a bypass in the combi boiler. A few things spring to mind.
One is that the pressure switch for the hot water could be faulty and
diverting the water from the radiators through the hot water heat exchange.
The other possibility is the thermostat on the boiler is faulty. It could be
that the boiler needs repressurising as mentioned earlier or that the boiler
is over heating and needs to be reset. Do you have any trouble with the hot
water system?

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Morrison" wrote in message
Newborn arrived home yesterday. First time we have used central heating
since last winter was yesterday, heating comes on at set times & all
radiators heat ok, problem is that they seem to cut out quite quickly &
don't come back on when room cools. All rads have own thermostats & I
have set them all at the number 4 position. System is a Ferroli Optima
1001 combi boiler. C.H./D.H.W. selector switch is set toward the higher
range. When rads cut out & I use the advance option on the programmer to
advance to next heating on segment but nothing happens, if I switch the
programmer to off & then switch on after a little while rads do heat
again. It is quite worrying that I can't keep a constant temperature
with the baby at home.

Can't help with the CH but babies aren't that fragile. They've been around
a lot longer than CH.

Tim

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
[...]

The Advance Option ain't going to open the Rad Thermostats is it? Is there
a fully open setting on them?

Posted to free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

Can't help with the CH but babies aren't that fragile. They've been
around a lot longer than CH.

I missed that.

The best way to control a baby's temperature is to cuddle it. A sling,
inside your coat if out in the cold, will do the trick, and give you
_some_ freedom of movement. I suppose it was the nearest I'll ever get
to being pregnant though, 10Kg of baby on my chest!

But where in the UK are you that it's cold in July?

Andy