Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default OT Mattress Smell

Well - not entirely OT. I did assemble and modify the base myself!

Towards four years ago we bought a Millbrook mattress - and have been
very satisfied with it.

Needing a mattress for another bed we decided to buy another one. Of
course, various issues mean it is not identical but is similar spec. It
arrived last week.

On opening the packaging, there was quite a strong smell. We did not get
this with the original mattress but nonetheless thought that it would
soon dissipate. The smell is still there. The room has had the window
open most of the time. The bedding that was put on it also smells. The
room smells.

We think the smell is very like that of untreated sheep's wool - with
the lanolin still on it. (The mattress does have wool as a component.)
But various internet sources suggest that mattress smells are often due
to flame retardants.

Of course we are raising the issue with the supplier and manufacturer.
But in the meantime thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar
experience? What they did about it? Did anyone identify the source? What
is a reasonable length of time to have to wait to use a new mattress?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Sep, 07:11, Rod wrote:
[...]

Although I've not had any direct experience of this, I'd have to
recommend Oust spray, it really does do what it says on the tin and
will neutralise niffs very effectively.

Hope the hand's healing swiftly and cleanly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Lino expert wrote:
On 30 Sep, 07:11, Rod wrote:
[...]

Thanks - will consider that. We did get a response from Millbrook and
they did say it could take three weeks. But can you imagine a big order
to replace all the mattresses in a hotel - and it has to shut down for
almost a month until the niff goes!

Odd one on the hand. Got a phone call yesterday morning asking me to go
in to be seen by a senior clinical person today. Sounded like they will
see me today to decide if they want to see me in a few days time! Never
had anything like that before.

Still, definitely much better, thanks - at least until I hit it in the
early hours (while asleep) - must have risen at least a foot straight
up. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Mattress Dimension why it is Important Find Mattress Sales! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 31st 08 03:23 AM
Handmade Mattress for Home Crib Boat RV: Beds By Design, The Mattress Makers, MI [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 17th 07 07:03 PM
mattress D'Olier Home Repair 9 December 12th 04 07:02 AM
Mattress encasing that preserves the feel of memory foam mattress Sanjay Punjab Home Ownership 10 August 27th 04 11:08 AM