Posted to uk.d-i-y
ad ad is offline

Default Cannot light Blowlamp

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Too much gas flow.

Open the valve just a crack so you're lighting a little candle flame.
Then *gently* increase the gas flow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"ad" wrote in message
All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Does it have an adjustable collar to regulate the amount of air mixing with
the gas? If not enough air it can blow itself out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 11:29*am, ad wrote:
All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) *).

Andrew

I guess either the flow rate is too high, or their is not enough air
being pulled through with the gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 11:43*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:29*am, ad wrote:

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) *).

Andrew

I guess either the flow rate is too high, or their is not enough air
being pulled through with the gas.

Great ... that makes me look like a right numpty!

I did post this before I read the other replies .... honest

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sep 24, 11:29 am, ad wrote:
All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

I guess either the flow rate is too high, or their is not enough air
being pulled through with the gas.

Or could be too much air. Close off the air inlet holes by gripping with
thumb and forefinger, not too much gas flow, it should light with a soft
yellow flame. The nozzle will warm up which helps evaporation of the gas,
gradually let more air in and it should stay lit OK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message
All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

Screw the cartridge on then back it off and finally screw it home as tight
as you can screw it home.
Open the valve a touch and try lighting it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ad wrote:

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

As others have said, don't turn it on too much to start with, or the rush of
gas will blow the match out.

My wife has a little blowlamp for cooking, which has an inbuilt spark
generator for lighting it. I always borrow that to light my big plumbing
blowlamp - far better than using matches!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

As everyone else has said, but also hold the match in front of but below the
nozzle so that it is the flame only in front of the nozzle, not the match
head itself.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
ad wrote:

[...]

My plumbing blowlamp has piezo ignite: only works on low gas flow. But
it makes a handy fag lighter when the others cant be found, or are out
of fuel/flints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 11:48*am, "George" wrote:
"ad" wrote in message

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) *).

Andrew

Screw the cartridge on then back it off and finally screw it home as tight
as you can screw it home.
Open the valve a touch and try lighting it again.

Dangerous move with some cartridges.

Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Screw the cartridge on then back it off and finally screw it home as tight
as you can screw it home.
Open the valve a touch and try lighting it again.

Dangerous move with some cartridges.

What are you on about?

Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

Heh?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 11:50*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
ad *wrote:

[...]

of fuel/flints.- Hide quoted text -

Geez man! Not still smoking; in this enlightened day and age?
Neighbour died of lung cancer recently, once was heavy smoker.
What a waste! Ten years younger than I am now, excellent wood worker;
nice man.
Going for blood tests on fairly regular basis every month or two,
cigarette smokers and cigarette butts galore around hospital
entrances! Bl**dy amazing.
Maybe we could stick another ten dollar tax on fags/tobacco for the
'National E'alth'.
Cheers. Ex scouser.
PS. I'm in Canada
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ad ad is offline

On 24 Sep, 17:45, "The Medway Handyman"
On Sep 24, 11:43 am, "
wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:29 am, ad wrote:

[...]

I think it makes you look like a nice helpful bloke. *Not like some of the
trolls around here.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies - I tried turning on the butane/propane mix
(Its the Wickes canisters that are made in France) less
vigorously and it lights ok.

As for the fire triangle - yes thats still part of the compulsory set
of on-line training aids that Cable & Wireless make all
staff and contractors do. I believe its a legal requirement for all
Co's over a certain size.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 5:25*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
George wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

Whatever mix comes out of a blowlamp it meets the surrounding air, and
a too rich mix will thus burn, even if not behave well, since it will
always mix with the surrounding air to form a burnable mix. Close the
air holes right off and try it - it burns.

I'm reasonably assuming the blowlamp be operated with the usual air
atmosphere around it

I've never yet seen anyone unable to light a lamp with the airholes
closed - in fact its pretty much a guaranteed way to light it if its
being difficult. Light it, you get a yellow flame, then slowly open
the holes to get the right mix.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message

[...]

Oh dear. You must tell that to God.

Or whoever sets teh laws of cjhemistry,.

But to make it easy, here's *a hint: combustion requires fuel AND and
oxidant. Without BOTH, no flame.

well done Captain Obvious. Now, with a torch adjusted to put out pure
bottled gas, how exactly do you propose to keep that gas stream away
from the air in the vicinity, thus keeping it unburnable?

Its perfectly possible to blow a light out with pure propane..

demo?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message
[...]

The gas does that all by itself..

Its perfectly possible to blow a light out with pure propane..

demo?

Try it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message
[...]

I think you'll find gases mix pretty rapidly, and where the gas meets
the air it will inevitably mix. There will inevitably be a region
where the mix is within limits for burning. If what you were saying
were true, gas escapes would never ignite.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

Whatever mix comes out of a blowlamp it meets the surrounding air, and
a too rich mix will thus burn, even if not behave well, since it will
always mix with the surrounding air to form a burnable mix. Close the
air holes right off and try it - it burns.

I'm reasonably assuming the blowlamp be operated with the usual air
atmosphere around it

I've never yet seen anyone unable to light a lamp with the airholes
closed - in fact its pretty much a guaranteed way to light it if its
being difficult. Light it, you get a yellow flame, then slowly open
the holes to get the right mix.

Yes, other than a demonstration that you didn't understand the point and
that you wanted to teach your grandmother to suck eggs was there any
reason for your post?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message
[...]

Often they don't.

You can if you are quick about it, does a match in a saucer of petrol..

My blowlamp is non adjustable and will only ignite if the flow rate is
turned down. Turned right up, it blows itself out.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ad" wrote in message
All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing
the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing
cartridges.
Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.
It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat
up the nozzle with
a hot air gun first ?.
I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to
photo to come) and I
getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

Matches?

No need for all that blowing out and scrabbling around these days.

Get something like these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71851/...d-Pencil-Flame
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41409/...-Lobular-Flame

These Screwfix ones seem a bit more expensive than when I got mine, so I
expect the old hands here can root out a much better price for you (same
goes for the canisters: if you buy mail order from S, get some refills at
the same time as they tend to be expensive in ordinary diy outlets.) I have
one similar to the one with the tilted up burner (they seem to have changed
the position of the regulator knob - on mine it is at the back, and rather
difficult to turn with bare fingers), and thanks to the simplicity of the
click start, find it so useful, I could do with one in the garage, one in
the shed, one in the kitchen...

Brilliant!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Try using the right end of the binoculars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 1:59*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:
how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Try using the right end of the binoculars.

try reading whats written and not guessing at dumb conclusions, as
several people did for whatever reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Try using the right end of the binoculars.

try reading whats written and not guessing at dumb conclusions, as
several people did for whatever reason.

Good advice, you should take it. Because you've failed to understand
what I said.

OTOH, "meow", so you have to be a gold-plated ****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 11:29, ad wrote:

Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all
the matches. What's gone wrong ?.

Some jolly interesting answers.

The real answer (probably) is that the retaining screw on the nozzle
is loose and the nozzle has slid forward slightly. This changes the
position of the gas outlet nozzle to the air-inlet holes enough to
cause said problem.
How did I learn this gem of wisdom? Sodding useless sodding Wickes
carp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Try using the right end of the binoculars.

try reading whats written and not guessing at dumb conclusions, as
several people did for whatever reason.

Good advice, you should take it. Because you've failed to understand
what I said.

OTOH, "meow", so you have to be a gold-plated ****wit.

....here's your brainless response quoted:

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.

Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...here's your brainless response quoted:

The "brainless" is only your worthless opinion. Since you don't appear
to have understood it, the brainless responses are yours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.
Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

...here's your brainless response quoted:

The "brainless" is only your worthless opinion. Since you don't appear
to have understood it, the brainless responses are yours.

You took a wild guess, one that contradicts the basics about fire
we're all taught at school at age 9, one thats just dumb, completely
misunderstood the situation, and stated it as a fact. Then you keep
insisting you interpreted things correctly, despite the foolishness of
it.

To make it worse it was also stated (by whom I dont recall) that if it
has too rich a mix it wont burn, when anyone can figure out that the
rich mix will meet air and dilute & burn. Now, I'm done, say whatever
you want. As many personal sillies as you like, all yours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.
Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

...here's your brainless response quoted:

The "brainless" is only your worthless opinion. Since you don't appear
to have understood it, the brainless responses are yours.

You took a wild guess, one that contradicts the basics about fire
we're all taught at school at age 9, one thats just dumb, completely
misunderstood the situation, and stated it as a fact. Then you keep
insisting you interpreted things correctly, despite the foolishness of
it.

Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're talking
crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,
not too little.
Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

...here's your brainless response quoted:

The "brainless" is only your worthless opinion. Since you don't appear
to have understood it, the brainless responses are yours.

You took a wild guess, one that contradicts the basics about fire
we're all taught at school at age 9, one thats just dumb, completely
misunderstood the situation, and stated it as a fact. Then you keep
insisting you interpreted things correctly, despite the foolishness of
it.

Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're talking
crap.- Hide quoted text -

I do hate to interrupt a good flame war, but it seems to have burnt
itself out.

So, may I just point out that the flame velocity in natural gas is
about 13.5 fps and a gas velocity above this, even if it is a
stoichiometric gas/air mix, can blow the flame off the end of the
torch.

Sorry to interrupt, please do carry on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
[...]

Never muddy a good flame war with facts.

However its completely consistent with my experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
meow wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch
with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch
with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.

Yawn, no one was arguing such a thing. Like most morons you grasped the
wrong end of the stick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 2:35*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:

Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch
with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.

Yawn, no one was arguing such a thing. Like most morons you grasped the
wrong end of the stick.

yet here you are being silly again...

"Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're
talking
crap."

its gotten funny. enjoy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch
with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.

Yawn, no one was arguing such a thing. Like most morons you grasped the
wrong end of the stick.

yet here you are being silly again...

"Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're
talking
crap."

its gotten funny. enjoy.

You deserve one another.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch
with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.

Yawn, no one was arguing such a thing. Like most morons you grasped the
wrong end of the stick.

yet here you are being silly again...

"Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're
talking
crap."

its gotten funny. enjoy.

You deserve one another.

Please please please - can we have fewer ad hominem attacks and a bit
more proper discussion of real matters?

Certain posters seem to relish picking on others - this ng appears to
be getting worse...

After all, it's (supposed to be) all about d-i-y, where nobody is a
professional at the subject.

Less of these 'Mr Silly", "morons" and so on please. Even 'gotten'
isn't really current English :-)

--
Frank Erskine