sten

Default diverting gas from a boiler to a blowlamp

I want to cast an aluminium plate and I'd love some advice (around 10"
x 10" and 1" thick).
Ideally id just use a blowlamp over coke cans and foil in a steel pan.
I thought I might save some money on gas cylinders if I ran a blowlamp
on the natural gas that fuels my boiler (british gas). Think that
might work? I wonder how Id connect things up etc. anyway its just a
thought, thanks!
geoff

In message , sten
writes
I want to cast an aluminium plate and I'd love some advice (around 10"
x 10" and 1" thick).
Ideally id just use a blowlamp over coke cans and foil in a steel pan.
I thought I might save some money on gas cylinders if I ran a blowlamp
on the natural gas that fuels my boiler (british gas). Think that
might work? I wonder how Id connect things up etc. anyway its just a
thought, thanks!

I'd say that you are in seriously dubious legal territory here.

I'd use a propane cylinder with the appropriate burner
--
geoff
nightjar

"sten" wrote in message
om...
I want to cast an aluminium plate and I'd love some advice (around 10"
x 10" and 1" thick).
Ideally id just use a blowlamp over coke cans and foil in a steel pan.

If you want a uniform plate, you will need to heat the pan and allow the
aluminium to melt into a pool of aluminium in it. You will also probably
need false teeth if you drink enough Coke to make a plate that size out of
the cans. That is about 4.5kg, which is roughly what an agricultural
chemical sack (the most common thing scrap metal merchants round here hand
out) full of aluminium scrap turnings weighs.

I thought I might save some money on gas cylinders if I ran a blowlamp
on the natural gas that fuels my boiler (british gas). Think that
might work? I wonder how Id connect things up etc. anyway its just a
thought, thanks!

A 13kg propane gas cylinder is not that expensive and it is easy to get all
the right fittings. However, if you only want to do a one-off, you would
probably be better off asking a local blacksmith if he can do it, or perhaps
even let you do it, in his forge.

Colin Bignell

The Natural Philosopher

sten wrote:

I want to cast an aluminium plate and I'd love some advice (around 10"
x 10" and 1" thick).
Ideally id just use a blowlamp over coke cans and foil in a steel pan.
I thought I might save some money on gas cylinders if I ran a blowlamp
on the natural gas that fuels my boiler (british gas). Think that
might work? I wonder how Id connect things up etc. anyway its just a
thought, thanks!

If you have a gas stove, that may be hot enough for what you want.
Use an old iron saucepan of course.

BillR

sten wrote:
I want to cast an aluminium plate and I'd love some advice (around 10"
x 10" and 1" thick).
Ideally id just use a blowlamp over coke cans and foil in a steel pan.
I thought I might save some money on gas cylinders if I ran a blowlamp
on the natural gas that fuels my boiler (british gas). Think that
might work? I wonder how Id connect things up etc. anyway its just a
thought, thanks!

Consider your neighbours.
I hope you don't live anywhere near me!
Sounds like the nutter who did welding on his motorbike in his terraced
house's integral garage, burnt down the whole row of houses..

-

In article , BillR
writes
Consider your neighbours.
I hope you don't live anywhere near me!
Sounds like the nutter who did welding on his motorbike in his terraced
house's integral garage, burnt down the whole row of houses..

Sounds on a par with the guy who was tired of having his acetylene
cylinders pinched so he welded his name into the side of one. Documented
in an article on bomb disposal I read once.

--
-- Bill
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:15:43 +0000, - wrote:

Sounds on a par with the guy who was tired of having his acetylene
cylinders pinched so he welded his name into the side of one. Documented
in an article on bomb disposal I read once.

Ouch.
--

Dave

Boiling boiler Lazy Beetle UK diy 2 October 28th 03 11:30 AM
New boiler operation/settings John UK diy 3 October 27th 03 10:57 PM
Digital cylinder 'stat? Martin Angove UK diy 9 October 12th 03 08:32 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM