Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio Electronics, February 1986

Hello Everybody.

I'm looking for an article published in Radio Electronics, February
1986, starting on page 16 about a plywood dish (I think this is just a
correction of the main article on Radio Electronics, October 1985).

If anyone haves the magazine and can send the pages I want to
( I prefer this email) or to
I will be very pleased.

Thank you very much for reading me, and continue keeping the group
alive and interesting as it is

Regards,
Francisco.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

[x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv where I know it will be of interest]

Hello Everybody.

I'm looking for an article published in Radio Electronics, February
1986, starting on page 16 about a plywood dish (I think this is just a
correction of the main article on Radio Electronics, October 1985).

If anyone haves the magazine and can send the pages I want to
( I prefer this email) or to
I will be very pleased.

Thank you very much for reading me, and continue keeping the group
alive and interesting as it is

Regards,
Francisco.

I wonder what the correction was. Wrong warp factor I guess!
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 11:10, "Graham." wrote:
[x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv where I know it will be of interest]

I wonder what the correction was. Wrong warp factor I guess!

I wonder it too, so hopefully anyone will have it and can scan and
send it to me

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards,
Francisco.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia wrote:
Hello Everybody.

I'm looking for an article published in Radio Electronics, February
1986, starting on page 16 about a plywood dish (I think this is just a
correction of the main article on Radio Electronics, October 1985).

I have a copy of "Amateur Radio" September 1987 next to me.
Preserved under a pile of papers as it has the complete article and
circuit board diagrams for the 20 Amp PSU I built for my practical
electronics course..
........ I thought it was a bit of a long shot.

Wonder why it took 4 months to realise the mistake on the dish. Perhaps
the original design wooden' work?

:¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 11:10, "Graham." wrote:
[x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv where I know it will be of interest]

I wonder what the correction was. Wrong warp factor I guess!

I wonder it too, so I hope anyone has it an can send the scan to
or

Thank you very much for your reply.

Francisco

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia wrote:
Hello Everybody.

I'm looking for an article published in Radio Electronics, February
1986, starting on page 16 about a plywood dish (I think this is just a
correction of the main article on Radio Electronics, October 1985).

I have a copy of "Amateur Radio" September 1987 next to me.
Preserved under a pile of papers as it has the complete article and
circuit board diagrams for the 20 Amp PSU I built for my practical
electronics course..
....... I thought it was a bit of a long shot.

Wonder why it took 4 months to realise the mistake on the dish. Perhaps
the original design wooden' work?

:¬)

Its likely that te sketches on the back of a piece of used bogpaper that
the author supplied the artwork department, were so clueless as to lead
to the original problem, and the article so unilluminating that it took
several months for anyone to spot the mistake, and by then, another
couple to work the correction back into the magazine..

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia" wrote in
message
On 24 sep, 11:10, "Graham." wrote:
[x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv where I know it will be of interest]

I wonder what the correction was. Wrong warp factor I guess!

I wonder it too, so I hope anyone has it an can send the scan to
or

Thank you very much for your reply.

Francisco

Back in the '80s people would go to all sorts of lengths
to construct a dish, as the little that was available to the
public was expensive.
I knew someone who was a sound engineer for the BBC,
he borrowed a microwave radio-link dish to use
as a template or former for the one he moulded with
fibre-glass.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 11:10, "Graham." wrote:
[x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv where I know it will be of interest]

I wonder what the correction was. Wrong warp factor I guess!
I wonder it too, so I hope anyone has it an can send the scan to
or

Thank you very much for your reply.

Francisco

Back in the '80s people would go to all sorts of lengths
to construct a dish, as the little that was available to the
public was expensive.
I knew someone who was a sound engineer for the BBC,
he borrowed a microwave radio-link dish to use
as a template or former for the one he moulded with
fibre-glass.

well that was in essence no different to how they were made
'professionally'

Large plaster moulds from CNC cut formers, lovingly smoothed, and chicken
wire and fiberglass applied over..might have had a coat of conducting
paint or something or a metal loaded gel coat..

But a wooden dish?
I found this
http://www.vetrun.net/forums/showthread.php?t=481
but I am taking it with more than a pinch of salt.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:25:37 +0100, Graham. wrote:
But a wooden dish?

How about using trees as antennas?

From http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?
verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD08 89658

Abstract : Communications over short ranges through dense wooded or
jungle terrains remains a major problem for our armies today. An approach
to solving this problem is to use a Hybrid Electromagnetic Antenna
Coupler (HEMAC) toroid as a transformer-coupler to excite secondary
radiation from the vegetation. The combination of the electric and
magnetic fields emitted by the toroid are shown to be as effective as a
whip antenna for communicating in the wooded areas adjacent to Fort
Monmouth. Initial experiments comparing a HEMAC toroid to a whip antenna
are discussed. (Author)

And a Scientific American article at
http://www.rexresearch.com/squier/squier.htm

QUOTE

It is not a joke nor a scientific curiosity, this strange discovery of
Gen. George O. Squire, Chief Signal Officer, that trees --- all trees, of
all kinds and all heights, growing anywhere --- are nature's own wireless
towers and antenna combined. The matter first came to his attention in
1904, through the use of trees as grounds for Army buzzer and telegraph
and telephone sets, which, in perfectly dry ground and in a dry season,
functioned poorly or not at all with ordinary grounds. Right then he
began experiments with a view to seeing what possibilities, if any, the
tree had as an aerial. But in 1904 radiotelegraphy was far more
undeveloped than at present, and vacuum amplifying tubes were not thought
of.

UNQUOTE

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 11:10, "Graham." wrote:
[...]

Sure. Stick foil on it and its a pretty fair mirror to Ghz frequencies,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 sep, 16:47, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:
Francisco Jos Ca izares Santofimia wrote:

Hello Everybody.

I'm looking for an article published in Radio Electronics, February
1986, starting on page 16 about a plywood dish (I think this is just a
correction of the main article on Radio Electronics, October 1985).

I have a copy of "Amateur Radio" September 1987 next to me.
Preserved under a pile of papers as it has the complete article and
circuit board diagrams for the 20 Amp PSU I built for my practical
electronics course..
....... I thought it was a bit of a long shot.

Wonder why it took 4 months to realise the mistake on the dish. Perhaps
the original design wooden' work?

: )

Maybe they forgot to add some information (for example on how to find
satellites, which was unclear in this dish). However, is interesting
that AFAIK, it's a correction and not an added text. Anyways, If I
manage to get it, I will publish it here.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Francisco.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 18:16, "Graham." wrote:

Back in the '80s people would go to all sorts of lengths
to construct a dish, as the little that was available to the
public was expensive.
I knew someone who was a sound engineer for the BBC,
he borrowed a microwave radio-link dish to use
as a template or former for the one he moulded with
fibre-glass.

Yeah. And I think many of the designs were interesting to try, even
today. In fact, some of then were of "high gain", and the LNBs there
had a high noise figure and the satellites were not so powerful, so,
what will happen if we apply the designs today, but with a low noise
figure block (and knowing that satellites are powerful thna in the
80's)? I hope I'll get a good result (or a not bad result).

However, as you may know, in the times of good old analogues signals,
If a signal was weak, you can see a image with many sparklies, but
still viewable. Instead, today, with digital signals, I can get the
whole signals or no signal at all (or an unusable pixelized image), so
this can be a big failure.

Regards,
Francisco.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 20:25, "Graham." wrote:

But a wooden dish?
I found thishttp://www.vetrun.net/forums/showthread.php?t=481
but I am taking it with more than a pinch of salt.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

But that is a "regular" parabolic prime focus dish. The antena that is
explained in the Radio Electronics I have (and in the correction I
want is a flat "dish" -in fact, is not a dish itself, but a lens-).

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards,
Francisco
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24 sep, 21:07, J G Miller wrote:
How about using trees as antennas?

They seem nteresting. I will take a look into them.

Thank you for your reply.

Francisco.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Francisco José Cañizares
Santofimia wrote:

Yeah. And I think many of the designs were interesting to try, even
today. In fact, some of then were of "high gain", and the LNBs there
had a high noise figure and the satellites were not so powerful, so,
what will happen if we apply the designs today, but with a low noise
figure block (and knowing that satellites are powerful thna in the
80's)? I hope I'll get a good result (or a not bad result).

If a standard dish gives you an acceptable fade margin, then a larger,
higher gain one will give you an unnecessarily high fade margin. Go
large enough and you'll be able to stand right in front of it and
still get a good signal - for all the use that may be.

The down-side is that the satellite will become harder to find. Big
dishes can be a real pig to set-up. In fact, above a certain size*,
the fact that the satellites aren't properly geo-stationary becomes a
problem. Then You'll need a tracking system to follow the satellite's
little figure-of-eight movements.

*I've long-since forgotten what the critical size was. 5 metres seems
to ring a bell.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Might also be worth posting your query over in uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:
[...]

I think John Graham did that in the first reply (second message of
this thread). However I'm crossposting this message to:
uk.tech.digital-tv

However, If in a week or so I haven't had any answers I will repost
the answer there.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards,
Francisco

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Might also be worth posting your query over in uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Cheers,

John.

I think John Graham did that in the first reply (second message of
this thread). However I'm crossposting this message to:
uk.tech.digital-tv

However, If in a week or so I haven't had any answers I will repost
the answer there.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards,
Francisco

I suspect there are some hoarders of old mags in u.t.d-tv.
AFAIK there isn't a specific UK electronics group. I wonder
why that is?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25 sep, 12:22, "Graham." wrote:

I suspect there are some hoarders of old mags in u.t.d-tv.
AFAIK there isn't a specific UK electronics group. I wonder
why that is?

In fact, Electronics groups on Usenet are almost non-existant or
without users. The only group that helped me in the search for
similar infos was this (d-i-y).

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards
Francisco.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia wrote:
snip
The only group that helped me in the search for
similar infos was this (d-i-y).

Not quite, Francisco! This reply comes to you courtesy of the
uk.tech.digital-tv newsgroup!

As Radio Electronics was an American magazine with only a small
readership in the UK, I'm puzzled why you haven't made your request to
US based newsgroups?

Anyway, I've found you Feb 1986 issue of Radio Electronics. It will cost
you $6.29 plus shipping and it is available on e-bay - fascinating what
Google will find for you if you ask it nicely!

Look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Electronic...d=p3286.c0.m14

This link might be better for you:

http://tinyurl.com/4c8y79

Good luck!

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia wrote:

In fact, Electronics groups on Usenet are almost non-existant or
without users.

sci.electronics.design seems as active as ever - over 67,000 articles
available on news.individual.net at the moment.

--
Andy