Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting older 3 ph motor to delta

I've the task of running a Harrison wood turning lathe with a 3/4 hp
3ph motor on single phase.

I've an electronic box which converts 240v single phase to 240v 3
phase and I've had running a modern 3ph motor, but the motor from the
Harrison lathe ( Griphon from Brook Motors) is an old one and is
connected in star configuration for 415v operation.

Has anyone tackled taking an older motor such as this apart to get
access to the coil ends and reconnect as a delta connected motor? I
can't imagine that motors of this age - possibly 60 years old - are
that much different in build but I don't have quite the confidence I
had in my teenage years for taking things apart and getting them back
together again successfully so I'm looking for some words of
encouragement!!

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I've done it - it's fiddly and if the coils are shellac'd (which
they probably are) it makes getting the thing apart 'interesting'.
Make sure that you use wire and sleeving that will stand the
temperature and both lace it and shellac it to ensure no fretting. The
bigger the motor the easier it is. Smallest I've done was the suds
pump on a Colchester Student lathe - 1/6 hp iirc - all a bit tight in
there!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Andrew
Do I take it that you withdraw the rotor and work inside without
removing the coils ? Shellac I have in the form of I use for French
Polish - I take it that's the correct form? But what is suitable for
the re-lacing ?

I was just thinking that gentle application of meths will ease off the
existing shellac.

Many thanks - these are just the words I was looking for.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, rotor out and work on the coils. I wouldn't use meths - itmay go
further than you want - just gentle teasing out with a scalpel blade.
Use strong cotton for lacing, not plastic

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 08:17, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Back again already, sorry ! I've released the through bolts and
tapped out the end plate but ..... the bearing is holding it and the
rotor in. Do I need to take off the pulley block and the plate at the
front end -(I'll have to go and cadge a puller from the works up the
road a bit) and then do I have to arrange some sort of pressing action
in order to get the shaft clear of the rear bearing ?

Cheers and thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a reel of lacing cord if someone wants a few metres

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 21 Sep, 08:17, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew

wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

You may be able to get at the star point without pulling the
armature - do a bit of investigation before further dismantling

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I've the task of running a Harrison wood turning lathe with a 3/4 hp
3ph motor on single phase.

I've an electronic box which converts 240v single phase to 240v 3
phase and I've had running a modern 3ph motor, but the motor from the
Harrison lathe ( Griphon from Brook Motors) is an old one and is
connected in star configuration for 415v operation.

Has anyone tackled taking an older motor such as this apart to get
access to the coil ends and reconnect as a delta connected motor? I
can't imagine that motors of this age - possibly 60 years old - are
that much different in build but I don't have quite the confidence I
had in my teenage years for taking things apart and getting them back
together again successfully so I'm looking for some words of
encouragement!!

Thanks
Rob

Have you considered 3 x 240V isolating transformers, where the primaries are
connected in star and the secondaries in delta? Given it's a 3/4 hp motor
we're not talking large transformers?

Save dismantling the motor and disturbing the windings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 14:19, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

On 21 Sep, 08:17, "Andrew wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

... On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

I'm hoping so but I still have the problem of getting the plate off at
the end which carries the terminal block. I can see the coil ends by
taking the terminal block off - only see - but I can't progress
without separating the shaft and the bearing so that I can get the end
plate off.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 15:04, "Fred" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Geoff and Fred - thank for your offers and ideas. I'll see how I get
on and perhaps act on them.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 21, 8:50*am, geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

geoff- Hide quoted text -

Or you could perhaps use that stuff for cleaning your teeth; er, er.
got it! "Floss'. But waxed lacing twine is easier to use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 16:29, robgraham wrote:
On 21 Sep, 14:19, "Andrew Mawson"

wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

On 21 Sep, 08:17, "Andrew wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

.... On 20 Sep, 22:41, "Andrew
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Just replying to my own post to say that I found that the end bearing
is clamped into the end part of the body by inner and outer plates
screwed together through the body end, and is not tight so the end
part of the body came off with no bother after all that. I've now got
access to the coils !!

I know this is not the sort of problem we all tackle but with the
access to affordable 240v inverters, this modification is becoming
more popular, so I'm taking some photos as I go along and will post
the link to them in due course.

Rob