Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Converting older 3 ph motor to delta

On 21 Sep, 15:04, "Fred" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

I've the task of running a Harrison wood turning lathe with a 3/4 hp
3ph motor on single phase.

I've an electronic box which converts 240v single phase to 240v 3
phase and I've had running a modern 3ph motor, but the motor from the
Harrison lathe ( Griphon from Brook Motors) is an old one and is
connected in star configuration for 415v operation.

Has anyone tackled taking an older motor such as this apart to get
access to the coil ends and reconnect as a delta connected motor? *I
can't imagine that motors of this age - possibly 60 years old - are
that much different in build but I don't have quite the confidence I
had in my teenage years for taking things apart and getting them back
together again successfully so I'm looking for some words of
encouragement!!

Thanks
Rob

Have you considered 3 x 240V isolating transformers, where the primaries are
connected in star and the secondaries in delta? *Given it's a 3/4 hp motor
we're not talking large transformers?

Save dismantling the motor and disturbing the windings.

Geoff and Fred - thank for your offers and ideas. I'll see how I get
on and perhaps act on them.

Rob