Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whizzy round dust thingy

I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a breaker,
SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins
around & collects the dust - it even works!

ISTR having a smaller orange thing years ago that also worked, but I can't
find it.

Any idea what they are called & where I can get them. I dare not Google for
spinning rubber thingy :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a breaker,
SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins
around & collects the dust - it even works!

ISTR having a smaller orange thing years ago that also worked, but I can't
find it.

Any idea what they are called & where I can get them. I dare not Google for
spinning rubber thingy :-)

search for what it does then drill dust collector :-)

http://www.avenue35.co.uk/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=55613
£16 but its a box of 20
or search on ebay
--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a breaker,
SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins
around & collects the dust - it even works!

Not for SDS (I've not used it, so not a recommendation as such)
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...ollector/75798

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a
breaker, SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins
around & collects the dust - it even works!

Not for SDS (I've not used it, so not a recommendation as such)
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...ollector/75798

SDS makes no difference to a device over or on the actual drill bit

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2008 10:08, Kevin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Not for SDS

SDS makes no difference to a device over or on the actual drill bit

I assumed not many SDS bits would be smaller than 10mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a
breaker, SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!

Not for SDS (I've not used it, so not a recommendation as such)
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...ollector/75798

The one I'm thinking of was just a rubber cup, no batteries etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 06/09/2008 10:08, Kevin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Not for SDS

SDS makes no difference to a device over or on the actual drill bit

I assumed not many SDS bits would be smaller than 10mm

Ah true

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
On 06/09/2008 10:08, Kevin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Not for SDS

SDS makes no difference to a device over or on the actual drill bit

I assumed not many SDS bits would be smaller than 10mm

Well, if you have an SDS drill and you want to drill a hole smaller
than 10mm (such as for a normal screw/rawlplug), you'll need a
smaller bit. I have them down to 5mm.

One tip is that SDS bits in many types of masonary will make a
larger hole than the same sized bit would do in a regular drill.
I therefore always start by using a smaller bit than the hole
required. You can easily spin it out larger with a bigger bit
afterwards (and enlarging a hole in this way where little/no
hammer action is used doesn't tend to make it oversized).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins
around & collects the dust - it even works!

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply touching
it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The Karcher thing linked to looks interesting, though I can't see the
vacuum feature working to hold it in place on all but the smoothest walls.
If the suction is used to collect the dust as well that may be enough of a
plus point to make it worth while. Bluetac or similar could hold it in
place on rough surfaces.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:14:21 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I assumed not many SDS bits would be smaller than 10mm

I guess you live in a place with foam walls covered in plaster board. B-)

I use the SDS almost exclusively but then most of the walls here are
stone. Much rather a 3 sec blast with the SDS than a minute with a hammer
drill.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a little
away from the wall.

The Karcher thing linked to looks interesting, though I can't see the
vacuum feature working to hold it in place on all but the smoothest
walls. If the suction is used to collect the dust as well that may be
enough of a plus point to make it worth while. Bluetac or similar
could hold it in place on rough surfaces.

Karcher tend to market someone elses product under their name when they
enter a market sector they aren't familiar with. They learn from that &
then make their own version. I'd guess this isn't made by Karcher.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a little
away from the wall.

until you drill in that is

The Karcher thing linked to looks interesting, though I can't see the
vacuum feature working to hold it in place on all but the smoothest
walls. If the suction is used to collect the dust as well that may be
enough of a plus point to make it worth while. Bluetac or similar
could hold it in place on rough surfaces.

Karcher tend to market someone elses product under their name when they
enter a market sector they aren't familiar with. They learn from that &
then make their own version. I'd guess this isn't made by Karcher.

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2008 11:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I guess you live in a place with foam walls covered in plaster board. B-)

Brick/Breezeblock external walls, but egg-carton and plasterboard
internal, which I don't mind as much as the "amplifying" party wall
which only became noticeable when the decent neighbours were replaced by
a herd of partying elephants :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!
Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a
little away from the wall.

until you drill in that is

I expect it's more effective when drilling upwards into ceilings, when a gap
between it and the surface wouldn't really matter.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
Kevin wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill

bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!
Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its

positioned a
little away from the wall.

until you drill in that is

I expect it's more effective when drilling upwards into ceilings,

when a gap
between it and the surface wouldn't really matter.

--
Mike Clarke

On verticals such as walls when mess needs avoiding I masking tape an
opened poly bag below the intended hole so dust falls into it. - works
a treat

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

or even a dust pan held by the boss (wife)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
Kevin wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:39:14 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit,
spins around & collects the dust - it even works!
Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned
a little away from the wall.

until you drill in that is

I expect it's more effective when drilling upwards into ceilings,
when a gap between it and the surface wouldn't really matter.

The concept is that it grips the drill bit whilst still allowing it to go
forwards. The spinning effect seems to suck in the dust. I don't recall
ever marking a wall with the orange one I had years ago.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:14:02 +0100, Kevin wrote:

On verticals such as walls when mess needs avoiding I masking tape an
opened poly bag below the intended hole so dust falls into it.

Or a fold of scrap paper. Finding a tape that doesn't damage the wall be
that papered or painted I find the hard bit.

or even a dust pan held by the boss (wife)

Or dustbuster held by a little helper.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:42:51 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a
little away from the wall.

I'm having trouble imagining this thing. Even if it starts a couple of mm
away from the wall what happens when the drill has moved forward that
couple of mm? What shoves it further up the drill? If it started the full
depth of the hole from the wall it wouldn't catch anything, at least to
start with.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:42:51 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply
touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a
little away from the wall.

I'm having trouble imagining this thing. Even if it starts a couple
of mm away from the wall what happens when the drill has moved
forward that couple of mm? What shoves it further up the drill? If it
started the full depth of the hole from the wall it wouldn't catch
anything, at least to start with.

Hard to explain unless you have seen one. The hole through which the drill
goes through is rubber & so 'grips' the bit.

You position the bit & start drilling, the gadget spins. As you put
pressure on the drill the gadget slides up the bit as it enters the wall,
because it touches the wall.

It starts a few mm away from the wall, but then touches the wall as the bit
goes in. Doesnt seem to mark though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk