Phil Laird

Default Sharp whizzy thingy

Hullo boys and girls

Been a long while since I had a look in here . . .. ...

But I have a question that someone might be able to shed a bit of light on
for me . . . .

I am looking at replacing my trusty old and bedraggled compound mitre saw -
a Hitachi something or other - and I am leaning towards a DeWalt DW708 with
a 12" whizzy thing on it .. . .. . and then I am leaning towards a Makita
305mm slide compound saw (LS1214).
And then I am leaning towards not bothering at all - but would like a
slightly bigger cutting depth than my old one . .. . .

Both are around the same price - so this is not an issue.
Just wondered if any of you blokes has had any experience with either of
these machines . .. . ... good, bad, indifferent . !

Or perhaps someone has yet another toy that they might favour.

Ta

Phully

The Nannup Furniture Gallery
Support Local small business ~ Save a Species Today ~ ME!
www.swanriverfurniture.com.au

jo4hn

Phil Laird wrote:
[...]

Hey Phully,
Good to hear from you again. My personal endeavours with CMSs is
limited to owning a 10" Craftsman and using a 12" Ridgid on a jobsite.
Both of these contraptions suffered from the same problem: move the
blade off 90d crosscut and it wandered off perpendicular. Hence if you
head off to you neighborhood CMS store, bring a try square. Bosch
(IIRC) got good grades from one of the magazines. Makita sliders always
get pats on the upper back (as opposed to the lower back). Perhaps one
of you folks out there with a better memory than mine can recall the mag
with the tests (FWW?).

mahalo,
jo4hn
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:56:24 +0800, the opaque "Phil Laird"
clearly wrote:

Hullo boys and girls

Been a long while since I had a look in here . . .. ...

Phullykins! Great to hear from you, old sport.
How is ya?

But I have a question that someone might be able to shed a bit of light on
for me . . . .

I am looking at replacing my trusty old and bedraggled compound mitre saw -
a Hitachi something or other - and I am leaning towards a DeWalt DW708 with
a 12" whizzy thing on it .. . .. . and then I am leaning towards a Makita
305mm slide compound saw (LS1214).

Wot the 'ell you use THAT for? The pineywood?

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:56:24 +0800, "Phil Laird"
wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear you're still alive there Phil.

Can't help with the DW708, but I have had the DW705 for the past 5 years
and have been very satisfied with its performance. With a good blade
(Forrest Woodworker), it makes very clean cuts, seems to hold its settings
very well and has been a good performer. OTOH, I don't use it near as much
as someone like yourself would, so can't say anything about durability.

The Nannup Furniture Gallery
Support Local small business ~ Save a Species Today ~ ME!
www.swanriverfurniture.com.au

Phil Laird

Cheers boysies

Good to see that a few of me olde mates is still around.... . .

Speaking of old . . .. I turned the big 50 last week . . .. . . and
managed to sprain my ankle the day before , which allowed me the thrill of
spending me birthday flat on my back . . . . . .

And - No , it was not because of me having a wobbly boot on . .. or the
residual effect of a wobbly boot . .. the culprit was a honkey net that I
rolled my foot on whilst walking back from the top shed to the humpy me and
the old boiler live in .. ..

Getting better now - I can walk mostly unaided now - but will continue to
use a stick when I go into town for effect . . specially since one of the
local ladies has taken a shine to me and is baking lots of nice cookies and
stuff for me . . .. . ...

Dont get much of a chance to play on the group any more - and have just
upped my waiting list to 11 to 12 months. . . . now thats freaky . . . . .

ta for the nod on the saw....

Phully

"Phil Laird" wrote in message
[...]

Sharp, but not scary Michael Press Woodworking 9 April 30th 04 06:23 AM
Jointer/Planer knives - How sharp should I expect Dave Rowell Woodworking 11 January 4th 04 11:36 PM
Sharp vcr model:VC-H988U idler plate? Sidney Electronics Repair 1 December 19th 03 04:15 PM
Failure to get sharp RWL Metalworking 21 October 10th 03 03:23 AM
Sharp R7380 Microwave Craig Electronics Repair 0 July 10th 03 10:50 PM