Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default F Connectors

Came across a funny today - a DAB tuner with the input F socket 'square'
at the end rather than tapered. Which means certain makes of plugs simply
won't grip tightly - even with the nut tight the body still spins round.
Can't do much for the signal.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Came across a funny today - a DAB tuner with the input F socket 'square'
at the end rather than tapered. Which means certain makes of plugs simply
won't grip tightly - even with the nut tight the body still spins round.
Can't do much for the signal.

Not sure I understand, I thought they were all square

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17061/...lug-Pack-of-10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chewbacca
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Came across a funny today - a DAB tuner with the input F socket 'square'
at the end rather than tapered. Which means certain makes of plugs simply
won't grip tightly - even with the nut tight the body still spins round.
Can't do much for the signal.

Not sure I understand, I thought they were all square

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17061/...ads-Connectors
/Philex-Coaxial-F-Plug-Pack-of-10

I think you will find that Dave was referring to the end of the socket
being square, you can see a slight chamfer on the end of the ones in
this photo.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...onid=2EHZMIPSU
YF32CSTHZOSFFA?productId=79447&imageNo=null&ts=949 79
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chewbacca wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Came across a funny today - a DAB tuner with the input F socket
'square' at the end rather than tapered. Which means certain makes of
plugs simply won't grip tightly - even with the nut tight the body
still spins round. Can't do much for the signal.

Not sure I understand, I thought they were all square

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17061/...lug-Pack-of-10

That shows the plug which screws onto the socket. And it is the socket
that was unusual in that the end was near completely square - just like a
thread cut through with a hacksaw. Most of the others I've seen have a
small taper. And if you look at the design of the plug, the socket end
needs to clamp on the plug body - with this arrangement the thread
bottomed in the nut part before gripping the body.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
I think you will find that Dave was referring to the end of the socket
being square, you can see a slight chamfer on the end of the ones in
this photo.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=94979

Yup - that's it. I've got two different type of twist on plugs and one
locked ok - the other not. But they're both fine on the tapered one.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Why are tap connectors so expensive? The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 November 18th 07 03:29 AM
Looking for connectors Barry Electronics 4 March 11th 07 09:15 AM
where to get N connectors [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 June 5th 05 08:30 AM
Pan connectors wounded horse UK diy 1 October 27th 04 03:32 PM
1/2" bsp tap connectors Smokeyone UK diy 2 October 17th 04 07:01 AM