Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling light fitting

I've bought some hanging lights from John Lewis and the fittings are new to
me. At the top, the pyramid-shaped cover unscrews and moves down, revealing
a vertical bracket with two screw holes at the top. These look like they
would screw into the something attached to the ceiling which the
pyramid-shaped cover would move up over.

But what do you call this ceiling bracket for this type of fitting?

Thanks, Rob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:24:14 +0100, "Rob Nicholson"
wrote:

I've bought some hanging lights from John Lewis and the fittings are new to
me. At the top, the pyramid-shaped cover unscrews and moves down, revealing
a vertical bracket with two screw holes at the top. These look like they
would screw into the something attached to the ceiling which the
pyramid-shaped cover would move up over.

It's probably to attach to the vertical face of a joist. You'll
probably have to lift a floorboard above (assuming there's a floor
above!).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Nicholson wrote:
I've bought some hanging lights from John Lewis and the fittings are new to
me. At the top, the pyramid-shaped cover unscrews and moves down, revealing
a vertical bracket with two screw holes at the top. These look like they
would screw into the something attached to the ceiling which the
pyramid-shaped cover would move up over.

But what do you call this ceiling bracket for this type of fitting?

Thanks, Rob.

I would have thought all you need to hang them should be in the box

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would have thought all you need to hang them should be in the box

Ahh, end of line - I got the two ones on show without boxes.

Rob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Nicholson wrote:
I would have thought all you need to hang them should be in the box

Ahh, end of line - I got the two ones on show without boxes.

I would suggest something is missing - prolly still attached to the display
ceiking :-)

Picky would help.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've bought some hanging lights from John Lewis and the fittings are new to
me. At the top, the pyramid-shaped cover unscrews and moves down, revealing
a vertical bracket with two screw holes at the top. These look like they
would screw into the something attached to the ceiling which the
pyramid-shaped cover would move up over.

But what do you call this ceiling bracket for this type of fitting?

Thanks, Rob.

If it's like a light fitting I have then the bracket is like a piece
of metal about 2 1/2 "across with two bits at the ends that are turned
down at r/angles and fits with 2 screws to a block of wood that is
fitted in to the ceiling ( screwed to a joist) .A dome shaped cover
slides up the centre rod and is held by two small screws that fit in
to the side of the aforementioned bracket .That covers the power
connection. I got one from Poole Lighting ( in Poole strangely enough)
...B+Q sell their lights .
http://www.poolelighting.com/
They sent me one for free ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it's like a light fitting I have then the bracket is like a piece
of metal about 2 1/2 "across with two bits at the ends that are turned
down at r/angles and fits with 2 screws to a block of wood that is
fitted in to the ceiling ( screwed to a joist) .A dome shaped cover
slides up the centre rod and is held by two small screws that fit in
to the side of the aforementioned bracket .That covers the power
connection. I got one from Poole Lighting ( in Poole strangely enough)
..B+Q sell their lights .
http://www.poolelighting.com/
They sent me one for free ....

That sounds like the same thing. In the end, I resorted to a slightly heath
robinson affair with a bit of wood and a lot of swearing. It's certainly not
going to fall off the ceiling!

But I have two of them to fit so expect more swearing.

Cheers, Rob.