Junior Member

Location: London
Question fixing hole in ceiling around light fitting

Hi hope you can help.

Whilst crawling around in the loft space today, I knocked the top of light fitting. Flush with the ceiling the light fitting measures approxmately 13cm across.This fell through the ceiling along with half the plaster surrounding around the light fitting. Caused a hell of mess right above the cooker.

Half the plaster around the light fitting remains in place. I now have a hole approximately oblong (or more accurately rather like an overlapping venn diagram) approximately 20cm across. The light fitting is hanging down precariously although is held in place with two flimsy aluminium struts.

I don't know how to refit the light fitting flush with the ceiling. Is this a job for a plasterer or more simple than that. Do you have to build up support from the loft space? any tips gratefully received
Many thanks

Dean
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

Default fixing hole in ceiling around light fitting

--
deanow27

For repairing a hole in either a plasterboard ceiling or a plaster and lath
ceiling one method is to cut back to sound plaster in the form of a square
or oblong shape then cut a piece of plaster board to fill the hole. If there
are no ceiling joists exposed that you can nail on the new piece of
plasterboard you could fix two wooden battens between ceiling joists to take
the galvanised nails. The surface of the new plasterboard patch needs to be
almost level with the existing ceiling so that the surface can be made good
and level with filler or a plaster/plaster skim coat. It is advisable to
coat the new plasterboard and the edges of the existing plaster with PVA
adhesive to prevent it absorbing the water from the filler/plaster. Relevant
websites:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/vothole.htm
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...andplaster.htm
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PL...ASTERBOARD.htm