Posted to alt.home.repair
ww

Default recessed ceiling light troubles

i have had a recessed ceiling light over a shower in my home for twenty
years. i have always have had the light go out periodically for maybe
5 to 10 minutes. recently i remodeled the shower area and changed out
the entire light unit with an "IC" rated can light. trouble is the
light still goes out periodically for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. can
anybody recommend a remedy?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"ww" wrote in message
oups.com...
i have had a recessed ceiling light over a shower in my home for twenty
years. i have always have had the light go out periodically for maybe
5 to 10 minutes. recently i remodeled the shower area and changed out
the entire light unit with an "IC" rated can light. trouble is the
light still goes out periodically for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. can
anybody recommend a remedy?

What type and wattage of bulb are you using? Usually an IC fixture is only
rated for 75 watts. It sounds as though it is going off on thermal
protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

Yeah that was what I was thinking. That black gizmo at the top of the can
detects the heat and cuts the power.

The can lights are not really rated for high wattage bulbs, and you also
have to look at the Baffle you use too. If its an enclosed baffle with a
Lens, it might lower the wattage you can use as the hear will build up
faster.

Scott-
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"ww" wrote in message
oups.com...
i have had a recessed ceiling light over a shower in my home for twenty
years. i have always have had the light go out periodically for maybe
5 to 10 minutes. recently i remodeled the shower area and changed out
the entire light unit with an "IC" rated can light. trouble is the
light still goes out periodically for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. can
anybody recommend a remedy?

What type and wattage of bulb are you using? Usually an IC fixture is
only
rated for 75 watts. It sounds as though it is going off on thermal
protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
"ww" wrote in message
i have had a recessed ceiling light over a shower in my home for twenty
years. i have always have had the light go out periodically for maybe
5 to 10 minutes. recently i remodeled the shower area and changed out
the entire light unit with an "IC" rated can light. trouble is the
light still goes out periodically for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. can
anybody recommend a remedy?

What type and wattage of bulb are you using? Usually an IC fixture is only
rated for 75 watts. It sounds as though it is going off on thermal
protection.

Lots of recessed lights have thermostats these days, but 20 years ago?
Sounds more like a broken wire or loose connection somewhere.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
JGolan

In addition to the other two replies, which I agree with, your thermal
sensor is most likely the cause. If when you installed the can you
packed insulation material around it you may want to take the can down
and remove some to allow it to better disburse the heat, the more
breathing room the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

wrote in message
John Grabowski wrote:
"ww" wrote in message
i have had a recessed ceiling light over a shower in my home for twenty
years. i have always have had the light go out periodically for maybe
5 to 10 minutes. recently i remodeled the shower area and changed out
the entire light unit with an "IC" rated can light. trouble is the
light still goes out periodically for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. can
anybody recommend a remedy?

What type and wattage of bulb are you using? Usually an IC fixture is
only
rated for 75 watts. It sounds as though it is going off on thermal
protection.

Lots of recessed lights have thermostats these days, but 20 years ago?
Sounds more like a broken wire or loose connection somewhere.

Nick

We installed a light in the overhead of our fibreglass bath tub shower unit.
It was designed for 115v AC and carries a warning to only use a bulb of a
certain wattage (60 watt I think?). Although it has a ceramic bulb socket;
we being conservative would therefore, if it were connected to 115 volts,
use 40 watt maximum.
IIRC it has a small black "thermal cut out" which is wired in series with
the black (hot lead). The recessed type fixture (pot light?) came with a
warning to ventilate around it; i.e. not surround it with insulation, to
avoid heat build up. Since our is in free space above the tube enclosure,
not mounted in the ceiling itself, it is well ventilated anyway.
I recall the wiring up was somewhat fiddly, due to the extra two connections
on top of the fixture before inserting and mounting it up into the mounting
hole.
There is other wise more than sufficient light in our bathroom, but no
windows. So we used our over-bath light as an emergency light; using a 24
volt, 25 watt RV type bulb powered from the two x 12 volt ex-truck
batteries in our basement that power our computers during extremely rare
power hits/failures.
BTW. We also keep a candle/holder and matches in the vanity. Amazing how
much light one candle can give with the candle holder standing in the sink,
the mirror behind reflecting the lit candle out through the open bathroom
door into the bedroom passageway. Candle can burn down safely for an hour or
two.
Meanwhile one can enjoy listening on a battery operated radio to find out
storm conditions, what caused the power outage etc. and to short wave
without all the disgusting RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) that today's
electrical gadgets produce.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Quick fix- maybe try 15w CF bulb?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

Yes 20 years ago. I was selling them at the time. 40 years no, but they
came in durring the 70's if memory hasn't cut out.

Most lensed recessed are limited to 40 watts, a few at 60 and only very
rarely more.

RickR