Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a permacoat type coating from exterior stone walls

Our has has previous had one of those spray on semi-permanent coatings
applied. I think they are advertised to last 25 years and save you the
trouble of painting etc etc

Ours is not quite so successful and is trapping water between it and
the stone walls. I've started to remove these sections by hand (well,
with a scraper and hammer) but where there is brick the coating is
stuck on hard. I don't want to damage the surface of the bricks, so
was thinking of using a paint stripper instead.

I've had someone suggest HomeStrip. Is that something that anyone here
has tried - or do you have any other suggestions?

regards

Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bitstreams wrote:
Our has has previous had one of those spray on semi-permanent coatings
applied. I think they are advertised to last 25 years and save you the
trouble of painting etc etc

Ours is not quite so successful and is trapping water between it and
the stone walls. I've started to remove these sections by hand (well,
with a scraper and hammer) but where there is brick the coating is
stuck on hard. I don't want to damage the surface of the bricks, so
was thinking of using a paint stripper instead.

Easy enough on render, but a real pig on brickwork because the surface
isn't level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
Bitstreams wrote:
Our has has previous had one of those spray on semi-permanent coatings
applied. I think they are advertised to last 25 years and save you the
trouble of painting etc etc
Ours is not quite so successful and is trapping water between it and
the stone walls. I've started to remove these sections by hand (well,
with a scraper and hammer) but where there is brick the coating is
stuck on hard. I don't want to damage the surface of the bricks, so
was thinking of using a paint stripper instead.

Easy enough on render, but a real pig on brickwork because the surface
isn't level.

Hmm.... We put external insulation over cement pargetting and the
architects insisted on having all the weathercoat removed first. The
builders got in a local *grit blaster* who blew it off with a mix of
water, sand and air.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 21:59, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes

Bitstreams wrote:
[...]

I hadn't thought of grit blasting - is this a job to do myself? I had
a look at the local hire shops and they seem to charge around £100 for
a days hire of a grit-blaster. Looking on ebay it seems that I could
buy a unit for less than that and just hire a compressor. I do have
the whole house to do.. anyone used one of these things from a hire
shop?

Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Bitstreams writes
.

Hmm.... We put external insulation over cement pargetting and the
architects insisted on having all the weathercoat removed first. The
builders got in a local *grit blaster* who blew it off with a mix of
water, sand and air.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

I hadn't thought of grit blasting - is this a job to do myself? I had
a look at the local hire shops and they seem to charge around £100 for
a days hire of a grit-blaster. Looking on ebay it seems that I could
buy a unit for less than that and just hire a compressor. I do have
the whole house to do.. anyone used one of these things from a hire
shop?

I would strongly recommend using a professional. The compressor needed
is like a young bus! Protective gear is essential. Get some prices
locally it may not be inordinate. Good bloke at Flamstead in Herts:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 08:23, Bitstreams wrote:
On 19 Aug, 21:59, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , stuart noble
writes

Bitstreams wrote:
[...]

Simon- Hide quoted text -

Grit blasters will damage the bricks

I would go to the manufacturer and ask if there is any solvent for the
set product
That is if they are still in business
Those coatings are an unmitigated disaster and most unsympathetic

My guess is that if you can get the bulk of it off with a
reciprocating cutter such as Fein multimaster - type machine
(obviously a mulitmaster is too small for the job but you may be able
to make a reciprocting cutter that does a similar job say from a cut
saw or the like) and get the bulk of it off and then see what gets rid
of it
I used a large angle grinder with masonry disc and the cover taken off
and took of the first mm or so of brick
It took three days to do a well windowed front elevation 7m wide and
10 m high and I came out of it looking like a red Indian (they were
soft red rubbers) and my next-door neighbours were none too pleased
with the dust on the cars!
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 1:03*pm, wrote:
On 20 Aug, 08:23, Bitstreams wrote:
On 19 Aug, 21:59, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , stuart noble
writes

Bitstreams wrote:
[...]

I'd avoid any of the options mentioned so far, you dont want to trash
the front of the stone.

Re stripping chemicals, the one cheap enough for large area use is
sodium hydroxide. Although it destroys wallpaper paste, if made up
mild enough the 2 can be mixed and used - if its effective on your
coating.

Failing that there's a water vortex device used to do these jobs, but
I cant remember the name of it. Best ask on the periodpropertyuk
forum. This is one of those jobs where I really wouldnt act on the
advice here until you've checked it out with people with more
knowledge on this. This is not a PP expert forum.

NT