Default removing cobwebs from exterior walls of house?

I just moved into a house where the exterior was poorly maintained.
There are cobwebs all over with other debris caught in the webs. Using
a vacuum is quite tedious and a hose with water is not doing that great
of a job.
Any of suggestions?
I thought of a pressure washer, but was concerned that it could damage
the wood or push stuff into the cracks.
Thanks

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved into a house where the exterior was poorly maintained.
There are cobwebs all over with other debris caught in the webs. Using
a vacuum is quite tedious and a hose with water is not doing that great
of a job.
Any of suggestions?
I thought of a pressure washer, but was concerned that it could damage
the wood or push stuff into the cracks.
Thanks

First thing you need to do is get rid of the cobs so they won't build any
more webs.

I think Home Depot has cob traps on sale this week......

;-]

No

The KISS principle applies here in my opinion. Use a broom, you could
have been done by now if you didn't kill time by running in to your
computer to post this question. Yea, you may need a ladder. Go buy one
if you don't have one. Sounds like you will have future use for it.

Pop

"No" wrote in message
oups.com...
: The KISS principle applies here in my opinion. Use a broom, you
could
: have been done by now if you didn't kill time by running in to
your
: computer to post this question. Yea, you may need a ladder. Go
buy one
: if you don't have one. Sounds like you will have future use for
it.
:

Actually, a pressure washer does a great job for things like
that. You just use a wand with a wide pattern instead of a
pencil pattern, and it cleans it right up. Stay three feet or so
from the siding and you'll never even push much water up
underneath but still get a good strong gush of air/water to work
out the spidercrap and all the dirt that catches in them.
I do it yearly and concentrate on the corners and edges where
flies like to lay their egss. Haven't had much of a fly or wasp
problem since.

HTH

The Ortho Home Defender will keep them coming back for a few months.
If you don't treat the surface with something, they'll be back.

Pop

Yes spiders do do all the things you mentioned, far as I know.

I think the case in point here though is esthetics. They're not
talking about a few neat, fuzzy cobwebs in a corner or two. In
fact, they're not even necessarily all spider webbings; some are
just spore growths from things that float in the air.
In the country especially the cobwebs will often cover the
entire north wall of a building, especially if there is
vegetation along it any higher than grass. Then it starts
collecting dust, insects, dead and/or eaten, pollen, spores,
anything light enough to float in the air.
Especially after a humid summer as we've had here lately, first
the side of the building begins to look a little dingy, then
gray, and then more black than anything else by the end of the
summer. My sister next door has one of the most text-book
examples of it I've ever seen this year. She tried sweeping and
that got rid of the fuzzies but not the black film. She tried
washing but that was a huge task, too huge for her. We've found
the pressure washer does the best job of cleaning and also has
enough force to remove the black from the vinyl without damaging
it since no soaps have been needed. Yet, anyway.
I normally wash down my siding a couple of times a summer and
it seems to suffice. No chemicals, soap or anything else
necessary.

HTH,
PopS

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: wrote:
: The Ortho Home Defender will keep them coming back for a few
months.
: If you don't treat the surface with something, they'll be
back.
:
: I can understand wanting to clean out spiderwebs occasionally,
: especially if they're full of debris, but in general, they're a
good
: thing, right? Spiders eat flies, ants, mosquitoes, aphids,
termites,
: etc, and the vast majority are harmless. Why would you want to
keep
: spiders away long-term?
:
: --
: Jennifer
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

replying to No, Mary Schimmele wrote:
That is an opinion-nor helpful!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...use-35472-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 04:44:01 +0000, Mary Schimmele
wrote:

replying to No, Mary Schimmele wrote:
That is an opinion-nor helpful!

How can you be replying to yourself?

And what is the point of saying what you did without saying what
you're referring to?.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...use-35472-.htm

It figures.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

replying to No, Gina wrote:
Too bad a broom doesnt work all that well on rough sewn cedar. You put in
hours of work with a broom and it doesnt look much better

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...use-35472-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2020 7:14 PM, Gina wrote:
replying to No, Gina wrote:
Too bad a broom doesnt work all that well on rough sewn cedar. You put in
hours of work with a broom and it doesnt look much better

Use a vacuum.

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Repair 8 March 4th 04 05:40 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM