Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood fan speed control

My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high (&
loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it if I can
add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't need gale force
extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of suitable
wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 6:10*pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high (&
loud). *No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it if I can
add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't need gale force
extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of suitable
wattage)? *I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Tim

Lamp dimmers arent suitable for inductive loads. A series capacitor
would be far neater. However there is a good reason the min speed is
what it is, and going below it greatly increases the risk of the fan
stalling and burning out. Not recommended.

Noise reduction might be a better approach, if its an acceptable
solution.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
On Aug 9, 6:10 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high
(& loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it
if I can add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't
need gale force extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of
suitable wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Tim

Lamp dimmers arent suitable for inductive loads. A series capacitor
would be far neater. However there is a good reason the min speed is
what it is, and going below it greatly increases the risk of the fan
stalling and burning out. Not recommended.

I'm also amazed it can do 'gale force extraction' All the ones I've tried
have to be on full belt to be of any use. And are still marginal.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high (&
loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it if I can
add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't need gale force
extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of suitable
wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Hi,

I would just drop the voltage to the motor with some resistance in
series, this could be done with power resistors or one or more halogen
bulbs.

For different speeds the resistors or bulbs could be bypassed with a
switch.

I did something similar to make a somewhat noisy 2kW fan heater into
an almost silent 1kW fan heater.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C ukdiy wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too
high (& loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live
with it if I can add a speed controller to slow the fan at times
when I don't need gale force extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of
suitable wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Hi,

I would just drop the voltage to the motor with some resistance in
series, this could be done with power resistors or one or more halogen
bulbs.

Thanks, I might try this. Any suggestions as to ballpark figures for values
of resistors?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:04:26 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Pete C ukdiy wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too
high (& loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live
with it if I can add a speed controller to slow the fan at times
when I don't need gale force extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of
suitable wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Hi,

I would just drop the voltage to the motor with some resistance in
series, this could be done with power resistors or one or more halogen
bulbs.

Thanks, I might try this. Any suggestions as to ballpark figures for values
of resistors?

Just try a silicon rectifier, such as a BY100, in series.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

Thanks, I might try this. Any suggestions as to ballpark figures for values
of resistors?

Is there a sticker on the hood with the power rating among other
things?

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:32*am, Pete C ukdiy wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

Wastes money, and sometimes a fire risk. Diodes cause some motors to
fry. Capacitor or inductor much better.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:02:57 +0100, Kevin

On Aug 9, 6:10 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high (&
loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it if I can
add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't need gale force
extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of suitable
wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Tim

Lamp dimmers arent suitable for inductive loads. A series capacitor
would be far neater. However there is a good reason the min speed is
what it is, and going below it greatly increases the risk of the fan
stalling and burning out. Not recommended.

Noise reduction might be a better approach, if its an acceptable
solution.

NT

all depends on what type the motor is
http://www.interaccess.org/arg/arg-list/msg00785.html

If the inlet/outlet ducting is too narrow then this can cause more
noise.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Dewalt DW423 - Bypass Speed Control - Convert to Single Speed baumgrenze Woodworking 9 March 23rd 21 09:51 PM
Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM