Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood thermal cutout

I've got a cooker hood, something similar to
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/c...rhoods/F70.2SS that
has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use,
then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of
thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I've cleaned the filters (it's ducted outside, so I'm not using the
carbon recirculation filters) and checked that the fan itself seems to
run freely, which it does.

Any ideas what could cause this? I don't mind taking it apart and
cleaning/replacing anything, but I don't really know what to look
for... I wonder if anyone has had this problem before?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 12:42*pm, Matthew wrote:
I've got a cooker hood, something similar tohttp://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/catalogue/cookerhoods/F70.2SSthat
has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use,
then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of
thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I've cleaned the filters (it's ducted outside, so I'm not using the
carbon recirculation filters) and checked that the fan itself seems to
run freely, which it does.

Any ideas what could cause this? I don't mind taking it apart and
cleaning/replacing anything, but I don't really know what to look
for... I wonder if anyone has had this problem before?

I dont know either - is the motor covered with insulating muck? Does
it only do this on the max speed setting, or on all? (Only on max
might suggest a partial short)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the reply and good question - it has 3 levels, I usually
use it on max no 3. It seems to run fine on no 2 for as long as I like
- then when I turn it up to 3 and it turns off after about 2 mins,
until such time as it (presumably) cools down and then starts again.

Any ideas? It would be a major PITA to have to replace it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matthew wrote:
I've got a cooker hood, something similar to
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/c...rhoods/F70.2SS that
has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use,
then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of
thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I'd be surprised if it has. A hairdrier or fan heater has an obvious need
for one - but a plain fan not. More likely to be protected by a thermal
fuse in the windings.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:53:38 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
Matthew wrote:
I've got a cooker hood, something similar to
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/c...rhoods/F70.2SS that
has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use,
then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of
thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I'd be surprised if it has. A hairdrier or fan heater has an obvious need
for one - but a plain fan not. More likely to be protected by a thermal
fuse in the windings.

Page 23 of the instruction manual (linked from above) says that if it
stops during operation, the safety cutout has probably tripped...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 7:29*pm, Matthew wrote:
Thanks for the reply and good question - it has 3 levels, I usually
use it on max no 3. It seems to run fine on no 2 for as long as I like
- then when I turn it up to 3 and it turns off after about 2 mins,
until such time as it (presumably) cools down and then starts again.

Any ideas? It would be a major PITA to have to replace it

Doesnt it move enough air left on 2?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:53:38 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
Matthew wrote:
I've got a cooker hood, something similar to
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/c...rhoods/F70.2SS that
has recently started turning itself off after about 5 minutes use,
then coming back on again a bit later. I assume it's some kind of
thermal cutout mechanism like eg a hairdryer has.

I'd be surprised if it has. A hairdrier or fan heater has an obvious
need for one - but a plain fan not. More likely to be protected by a
thermal fuse in the windings.

Page 23 of the instruction manual (linked from above) says that if it
stops during operation, the safety cutout has probably tripped...

Ah. Right. Sounds like they've economised on the motor rating.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
range hood ducting with thermal break brent Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 12:56 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM