Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:44:00 +0100 (BST), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:44:16 GMT, Phil Addison wrote:

There is also a pdf on the site at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/beta/FAQ_Pr...tents_List.pdf but it
is fixed at the fully expanded hierarchy so not so convenient.

Does the fully expanded one actually include real article titles? It looks
as if it does.

By 'fully expanded' I simply meant that is showing everything that is in
the document, i.e. nothing folded as can be done in the MS doc version.
Its basically the same as a txt version.

I can't really imagine that there are a dozen or so pages
relating to Central Heating Design, Installation, Setting up Pipework
Copper Small Bore (15, 22, 28mm).

I'm not claiming the hierarchy in it is either complete or the best one,
it was just given as a proposal for others to comment on - no one did!!
This was some time ago.

I just started at the top level and drilled down through the tasks
subdividing as seemed appropriate. I figure the best hierarchy is one
where you minimize the number of tasks that could fit into more than one
place.

I should think the category levels can stop at Pipework.

Best to postpone that decision. A good hierarchy will have the branches
more or less equal sized, so if you find one section drilling down a lot
deeper than others its probably time to re-think if the higher levels
could be done better.

If you don't go deep enough you have a category spilling over several
screens, e.g. with only 1 category (the diy wiki) you would have 384
linear items.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 12:54*am, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:40:57 -0700 (PDT), in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

Phil's pdf looks like a great start. Personally I'd like to limit the
depth of the levels, and probably not list any individual articles but
end up directing the user to the applicable wiki category. More or
less everything on that list has a wiki category, and new cats can
always be created.

See my comments to DL's post.

Phil I can dl your doc file no prob, but opening it things go wrong.
If you wanted to post it in plain text I'd be happy to work on it, see
if we can move toward the finished article.

The pdf content is identical to a plain text dump, but I have done a
fair bit of work on it since that outline which is a few years old. I'll
hopefully complete a new version over the next couple of days and see
what you think of it.

Rather than downloading the doc, I just dbl-click on the url and it
opens in word; you might get better luck with that, otherwise I can mail
you the current in-work version. If d/l-ing it you have to treat it as a
binary file not txt, maybe thats the prob. I prolly have my puter setup
for firefox to open docs in word rather than wordpad.

Phil

Alright, let me keep it short: if you post it in plain text, which is
a file with .txt ending, I'll see what I can do.

NT