Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default enamelling an old bath

We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but I
would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stewart" wrote in message
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with
the bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is
long and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but
I would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

My in-laws had their bath re-enamelled. I was dubious when they told me they
were getting it done but it was a first class job making the bath look brand
new again.

Sorry can't remember the price but I remember thinking it was dear but on
the whole worth it.

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stewart
writes
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but I
would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

Well, it must be 8 years now since I bought some Tubby and
"re-enamelled" with it

It cost about £50 and is just now beginning to lose its shine

It has the advantage that you don't need to call anyone in to do the job
or move the bath

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart wrote in message
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with

the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but

would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

There are two ways to have a bath restored, Re-surfacing which is just a
paint on epoxy coating or Re-vitreous enamelling. Vitreous enamelling will
make the bath as good as new again, but expensive, how much do you love your
old bath.
http://www.uniqueenamellingservicesltd.co.uk/

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The bath will have to be recoated in situ otherwise it will be thrown out.
To remove it intact is just too much bother so if it had to be taken away to
be recoated then we would break it up and take it downstairs that way.
Thanks everybody

"Mark" wrote in message
om...

Stewart wrote in message
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with

the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but

would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

There are two ways to have a bath restored, Re-surfacing which is just a
paint on epoxy coating or Re-vitreous enamelling. Vitreous enamelling will
make the bath as good as new again, but expensive, how much do you love
your
old bath.
http://www.uniqueenamellingservicesltd.co.uk/

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart wrote:
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but I
would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.

Go for the refurbishment! I don't know anything about the process, but
if you're used to a nice big bath you'll hate a standard modern plastic
one. I know I do with the titchy thing in my house :-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
om...

"Stewart" wrote in message
The bath will have to be recoated in situ otherwise it will be thrown out.
To remove it intact is just too much bother so if it had to be taken away
to be recoated then we would break it up and take it downstairs that way.
Thanks everybody

My in-laws had theirs recoated in situ. They masked everything up like a car
respray job. I'm sure it was a 2 day job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:53:26 +0100, Stewart wrote:

We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do with the
bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer shiny. It is long
and deep enough to almost let me float in it when full.
My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side height but I
would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.

Before going to such lengths, are you in a hard water area and if so, have
you tried descaling the bath? Limescale forms a hard matt white film on
surfaces so can make a bath look as if it's lost more of its shine than it
has. Sulphamic acid-based limescale removers will deal with thin
encrustations, or phosphoric acid or formic acid will deal with thicker
ones. Hydrocloric acid will stain chrome and may even attack enamel.

Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?

I have clients who've had it done on roll-top baths with varying results
(one outstandingly good, the other had a few runs and had to get the bloke
back to sort it out), and one on a rectangular type cast-iron bath where
the finish had a few dust specs and, for what the bath was, I thought
wasn't worth it.

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
YAPH writes:
Before going to such lengths, are you in a hard water area and if so, have
you tried descaling the bath? Limescale forms a hard matt white film on
surfaces so can make a bath look as if it's lost more of its shine than it
has. Sulphamic acid-based limescale removers will deal with thin
encrustations, or phosphoric acid or formic acid will deal with thicker
ones. Hydrocloric acid will stain chrome and may even attack enamel.

Sulphamic acid-based limescale removers will dissolve the
polished enamel surface, as will anything stronger like
hydrocloric acid. It's very difficult to remove hard water
scale from an enameled bath without also damaging the enamel
(which is why they all emphasise the importance of quickly
fixing dripping taps, etc). It's important to only use
cleaners which state they are OK on enameled baths.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart wrote:
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do
with the bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer
shiny. It is long and deep enough to almost let me float in it when
full. My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side
height
but I would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

You don't say where you are but, if you're in the north west, this guy is
absolutely brilliant and very professional:

http://www.radiantbaths.co.uk/

Talk to (IIRC) Nigel on 01772 740097

I've got no connection with him or his company other than being a very
satisfied customer. When my mam died and we inherited her house, the cast
iron bath in there was at least 60 years old that I know of, and it really
showed. Add in various builders' debris, scratches, scuffs from bricks,
tools and other various detritus falling in during the house renovation and
it was quite a mess - but when he'd finished it you'd think it had just come
out of the factory brand new.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Stewart wrote:
We are going to modernise our bathroom and cannot decide what to do
with the bath. it is cast iron in good condition but no longer
shiny. It is long and deep enough to almost let me float in it when
full. My wife would like to buy a new plastic bath with a lower side
height
but I would rather have the existing bath re-enamelled in place.
Does anyone have experience of this and what would be the best option?
Thank you

been there got the tea shirt unless you are luckier than me and have no
kids the new stuff will chip off, and they possibly wont cover damage
under the guarantee, we ended up with a new bath after the re-cond one
looked even worse than it did before
You don't say where you are but, if you're in the north west, this guy is
absolutely brilliant and very professional:

http://www.radiantbaths.co.uk/

Talk to (IIRC) Nigel on 01772 740097

I've got no connection with him or his company other than being a very
satisfied customer. When my mam died and we inherited her house, the cast
iron bath in there was at least 60 years old that I know of, and it really
showed. Add in various builders' debris, scratches, scuffs from bricks,
tools and other various detritus falling in during the house renovation and
it was quite a mess - but when he'd finished it you'd think it had just come
out of the factory brand new.

John

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart wrote:
Thanks both, we live in Fife and the water there tends be hard, no problems
with lime scaling.

Hard? I thought Fife had mostly soft water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 01:10, YAPH wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I also am fixing up my bathroom and fitting a Bath and shower not sure
if this helps but i got a great deal on a bathroom suite from
http://www.truerooms.com/ they offer free UK delivery.

Hope this helps,

John.