Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY re-enamelling of a bath - Tubby or not tubby?

Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lino expert" wrote in message
Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Looks good in the adverts but bloody difficult in reality. If you're in the
north-west, I can thoroughly recommend this guy
http://www.radiantbaths.co.uk/ He resurfaced a 50-year old cast iron bath
for me and it's absolutely brilliant.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 14:01, "John" wrote:
"Lino expert" wrote in message

Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Looks good in the adverts but bloody difficult in reality. If you're in the
north-west, I can thoroughly recommend this guyhttp://www.radiantbaths.co.uk/He resurfaced a 50-year old cast iron bath
for me and it's absolutely brilliant.

John

Darnit, couldn't be further away if I tried, bound to be pricier too -
but thanks anyway )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 14:04, Lino expert wrote:
On 14 Dec, 14:01, "John" wrote:

"Lino expert" wrote in message

Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Looks good in the adverts but bloody difficult in reality. If you're in the
north-west, I can thoroughly recommend this guyhttp://www.radiantbaths.co.uk/Heresurfaced a 50-year old cast iron bath
for me and it's absolutely brilliant.

John

Darnit, couldn't be further away if I tried, bound to be pricier too -
but thanks anyway )

OK, we're possibly even further away, but we had a guy out from
Edinburgh to do ours - £200 and excellent. That was 4 years ago and I
have absolutely no complaints. I wouldn't have tackled it as he had
all the spray gear and face mask, etc.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 14:01, "John" wrote:

"Lino expert" wrote in message

Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Looks good in the adverts but bloody difficult in reality. If you're in the
north-west, I can thoroughly recommend this guyhttp://www.radiantbaths..co.uk/Heresurfaceda 50-year old cast iron bath
for me and it's absolutely brilliant.

John

Darnit, couldn't be further away if I tried, bound to be pricier too -
but thanks anyway )

OK, we're possibly even further away, but we had a guy out from
Edinburgh to do ours - £200 and excellent. That was 4 years ago and I
have absolutely no complaints. I wouldn't have tackled it as he had
all the spray gear and face mask, etc.

Rob- Hide quoted text -

Ooh you're further than a far thing, but handy to know about the gear
- sounds like it's not such a walk in the park as it maybe first seems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 14:01, "John" wrote:

[...]

I've stayed in hotels where the re-coating is flaking off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

8----
I've stayed in hotels where the re-coating is flaking off.

We have had our bath re-coated twice. The first time it was supposed to be
some fancy coating (not paint). It took them three attempts to get a
satisfactory finish - once it was gritty, next time the goo slumped and
made an uneven bottom. The final go worked and lasted for quite a few years
until it started developing blisters. I patched it a few times and then
decided to have it done again. The next company were much quicker. They
used some kind of acrylic paint and didn't need the heat lamps and so forth
that the others used. Before long this surface started blistering too. They
came back and repaired it but it kept happening. Eventually I sanded down
the blisters and sprayed the damaged part with appliance paint from B & Q
or Screwfix. That has held up for some years now. It isn't invisible but
it's only because the repaired surface is slightly proud and the masking
ridges show.

Neither company could really convince me that they knew what was going on
but the second one suggested it might be shampoo that was causing the
trouble. We've been very careful with shampoo since and so far seem to be
clear of problems.

If shampoo does that to bath paint I wonder what it does to us.

Next time it needs doing I think I might try doing it by building up that
appliance paint in lots of very thin layers.

I don't change the bath because it's a good size, comfortable and a previous
owner tiled it in. Replacing it and making good would be a big job.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 15:41, Edgar wrote:
John wrote:

8----

[...]

PlastiKote-type stuff? Do you reckon that would work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:

8------

PlastiKote-type stuff? Do you reckon that would work?

That's the stuff I used. "Plasti-kote 619 Appliance Gloss White".

Edgar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 16:08, Edgar wrote:
Lino expert wrote:

8------

PlastiKote-type stuff? Do you reckon that would work?

That's the stuff I used. "Plasti-kote 619 Appliance Gloss White".

Edgar

Aha! Useful. I'll investigate that, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Lino
expert writes
Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Yes I have

Following an initial problem of a stuck roller which buggered things up
(they sent me a new kit FOC), I "Tubby'd" my bath about 5 years ago. I
still have a good finish which hasn't peeled or deteriorated yet

I think the secret of a successful finish is all down to good
preparation, i.e. a lot of hard work

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-14, Lino expert wrote:
Anyone tried the stuff and, if so, how were the results?

Yes. Easy to apply. Not hard to get a good finish.
I followed their suggestion of mixing it all, then putting the surplus
in the freezer until needed.

What's difficult is preparing the bath! I tried to remove all the
limescale, but discovered that the "enamel" also comes away.

After about 18 months of use it became apparent that Mr. Tubby wasn't
properly bonded to the underlying surface, if you looked critically.
I left the house over 5 years ago, so can't comment on further longevity.

Aside: (Until then I'd assumed that steel baths were still vitreous
enamelled:-( I'd love to find a current manufacturer of vitreous
enamelled baths, preferably cast iron.)

Jan at t a r a s o w k a dot o r g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to robgraham, Sazzle wrote:
Who did you use in Edinburgh?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...by-443477-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2018 18:14, Sazzle wrote:
replying to robgraham, Sazzle wrote:
Who did you use in Edinburgh?

Please look at the date of the original post. You are probably now
asking the question to his grand children.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 April 2018 19:06:42 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 27/04/2018 18:14, Sazzle wrote:
replying to robgraham, Sazzle wrote:
Who did you use in Edinburgh?

Please look at the date of the original post. You are probably now
asking the question to his grand children.

Come here via a saner portal than hoh or most regulars won't see your posts. This is news:uk.d-i-y

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, the date is quite clear on the web site, the problem is that the
site files by month, not year so old posts get regurgitated all the time it
seems.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

Re-Bath? Goomba38 Home Repair 2 January 9th 07 01:49 PM
Fitting bath. Tile first or fit bath first? Ian Maguire UK diy 8 February 27th 06 03:01 PM
Tiling behind bath? or tile down to bath? xxx UK diy 7 January 10th 06 02:41 AM
Looking for a bath overflow that is flush with the bath surface? Peter UK diy 0 October 18th 05 02:07 PM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM