Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lino expert Lino expert is offline

Default DIY re-enamelling of a bath - Tubby or not tubby?

On 14 Dec, 15:41, Edgar wrote:
John wrote:

8----

I've stayed in hotels where the re-coating is flaking off.

We have had our bath re-coated twice. The first time it was supposed to be
some fancy coating (not paint). It took them three attempts to get a
satisfactory finish - once it was gritty, next time the goo slumped and
made an uneven bottom. The final go worked and lasted for quite a few years
until it started developing blisters. I patched it a few times and then
decided to have it done again. The next company were much quicker. They
used some kind of acrylic paint and didn't need the heat lamps and so forth
that the others used. Before long this surface started blistering too. They
came back and repaired it but it kept happening. Eventually I sanded down
the blisters and sprayed the damaged part with appliance paint from B & Q
or Screwfix. That has held up for some years now. It isn't invisible but
it's only because the repaired surface is slightly proud and the masking
ridges show.

Neither company could really convince me that they knew what was going on
but the second one suggested it might be shampoo that was causing the
trouble. We've been very careful with shampoo since and so far seem to be
clear of problems.

If shampoo does that to bath paint I wonder what it does to us.

Next time it needs doing I think I might try doing it by building up that
appliance paint in lots of very thin layers.

I don't change the bath because it's a good size, comfortable and a previous
owner tiled it in. Replacing it and making good would be a big job.

Edgar

PlastiKote-type stuff? Do you reckon that would work?