Posted to uk.d-i-y
xxx

Default Tiling behind bath? or tile down to bath?

Hi

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to it,
grout and seal? Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath, install
the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is swearing
the latter is better.

--
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

xxx wrote:

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to it,
grout and seal?

Yes.

Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath, install
the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is swearing
the latter is better.

No, it's not better.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"xxx" wrote in message
Hi

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to it,
grout and seal? Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath, install
the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is swearing
the latter is better.

--
Bob

Every time I've been advised to install bath, then tile. Better to have a
bit of an overhanging lip to aid water running down the walls to go into the
bath rather than have to divert it into the bath. In some cases, with a
tight fit there won't be room for any tiles at the side.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

xxx wrote:

Hi

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to
it, grout and seal? Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath,
install the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is
swearing the latter is better.

Fix the bath to the wall, and tile *virtually* down to it - leaving a slight
gap (3mm?) for a bead of sealant. [Do not use grout between the bath and
tiles].

The purists would also tell you to keep the bath full of water while the
sealant cures.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

xxx wrote:

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to it,
grout and seal? Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath, install
the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is swearing
the latter is better.

Most baths have a slight rolloff at tht edge, so if you install tem
against a tiled wall you end up with a small moisture trap to go mouldy.

In many cases it is better to even chop them into the wall a little bit
and then tile down to them. This adds rigidity to even the most flimsy
of plastic baths.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Amor

"xxx" wrote in message
Hi

Whats the recommendation/convention? Install bath then tile down to it,
grout and seal? Or tile the wall to below the level of the bath, install
the bath and seal? I think the former, but someone I know is swearing
the latter is better.

--
Bob

I've just installed my bath and have tiled down onto it. I've also used a
sealing strip from B&Q that goes behind the bottom tiles (in the adhesive)
and then projects out from the tiles, forming a seal onto the bath. It looks
very professional and should last longer than a bead of silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:14:01 -0000, "Set Square"
wrote:

Fix the bath to the wall, and tile *virtually* down to it - leaving a slight
gap (3mm?) for a bead of sealant. [Do not use grout between the bath and
tiles].

I install the bath, fill the gap between the bath and the wall with
decent sealant.

Then, tile down to 3mm (Or whatever) above the bath and fill the gap
with more silicone.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Fix the bath to the wall, and tile *virtually* down to it - leaving a slight
gap (3mm?) for a bead of sealant. [Do not use grout between the bath and
tiles].

I install the bath, fill the gap between the bath and the wall with
decent sealant.

Then, tile down to 3mm (Or whatever) above the bath and fill the gap
with more silicone.

I do something slightly different.

I really fix that bath to the wall HARD first of all. Any flex means more
strutting and support needed.

Then when bath and wall are irrevocably coupled, I run a bead of silicone
down to give a flush surface at the bath llip. That means water won't get
behind, and will run into the bath

Then I tile UP from the bath using spacers to achieve a normal grout line
which I fill with GROUT.

This just looks plan BETTER than sealer visible round the bath...

The secret is welding the bath to the wall in the first place...no movement
= no cracked grout.

sponix

Bathroom tiling - tile first or tile last? Eric The Viking UK diy 3 June 17th 05 03:18 PM
Bath Panel - Tiling and removal. [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 05 10:39 PM
Tile Under Bath Tub Vince Home Repair 11 May 10th 05 12:49 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM