Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scale inhibitors

Have just purchased a shower thermostatic mixer from Screwfix.
Instructions mention the need for a scale inhibitor if temporary
hardness more than 200 ppm. Local water has hardness of nore than 400
ppm!

Triton scale inhibitor costs £50 + £25 for replacement cartridges. I
already have a magnetic device fitted (? Ecoflow). Ebay has two on
offer - a Calmag scale inhibitor that requires regular cartridge
replacement, and a Salamander Sesi electrolytic scale inhibitor.

My question is - do these things work? Are they worth fitting? Are
they a con?

All comments gratefully received.

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31 09:32:15 +0100, Keefiedee said:

Have just purchased a shower thermostatic mixer from Screwfix.
Instructions mention the need for a scale inhibitor if temporary
hardness more than 200 ppm. Local water has hardness of nore than 400
ppm!

Triton scale inhibitor costs £50 + £25 for replacement cartridges. I
already have a magnetic device fitted (? Ecoflow). Ebay has two on
offer - a Calmag scale inhibitor that requires regular cartridge
replacement, and a Salamander Sesi electrolytic scale inhibitor.

My question is - do these things work?

No.

Are they worth fitting?

Yes.

Are
they a con?

Yes.

All comments gratefully received.

Keith

The only two types of device that are worth fitting are a phosphate
dosing system such as a Combimate or a proper ion exchange water
softener that uses salt.

A phosphate doser will prevent deposition of limescale but does not
soften the water.

A proper water softener will do both. The overall cost is a few
hundred pounds (less than £500 normally) for the machine and you can
reckon on a 20 year lifetime. The running cost in salt is fairly
effectively balanced by a reduction in the amount of washing detergents
and shampoos that are used since they become more effective.
Therefore the avoidance of scale is a bonus on top of that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 10:41*am, Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-07-31 09:32:15 +0100, Keefiedee said:

[...]

As far as I can see from the description of the Calmag on eBay it is
actually a CalPhos phosphate doser - so presumably similar to the
Combimate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31 11:07:47 +0100, Keefiedee said:

As far as I can see from the description of the Calmag on eBay it is
actually a CalPhos phosphate doser - so presumably similar to the
Combimate.

Sounds like it. If they talk about putting in a charge of pellets
about once a year then it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31 09:32:15 +0100, Keefiedee said:

[...]

The cleaning saved by using a water softener is amazing. No more scale
except for the one untreated water tap in the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

The cleaning saved by using a water softener is amazing. No more scale
except for the one untreated water tap in the kitchen.

Damn, I really _must_ get my finger out and get one...

I put the plumbing/pipes in and everything when I re-plumbed about 3 or
4 years ago, even down to having a filtered hard water tap in the kitchen.

I have taken to cleaning the shower glass with a stanley knife blade as
a scraper! Absolutely no excuste... except job order priority.

Unbelievably I even bought a bag of salt about 18 months ago... at this
rate I may get one installed by 2020!
:¬(

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:489188d3@qaanaaq...
On 2008-07-31 09:32:15 +0100, Keefiedee said:

[...]

An additional cost is the water charge if you are on metered water.. My 13
year old automatic water softener regenerates every 4 or 5 days at 2.00am.
The cycle uses mains water to backflush and then flush saline solution at
various rates.. Fortunately we are not on metered water but I wonder if
softener manufacturers have reduced the amount of water used for this
process on newer models.. I would find it hard to live without a water
softener in a hard water area.
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Shergold wrote:

An additional cost is the water charge if you are on metered water.. My 13
year old automatic water softener regenerates every 4 or 5 days at 2.00am.
The cycle uses mains water to backflush and then flush saline solution at
various rates.. Fortunately we are not on metered water but I wonder if
softener manufacturers have reduced the amount of water used for this
process on newer models.. I would find it hard to live without a water
softener in a hard water area.

I pondered over this but recently went to a water meter.
Reason being Water was costing around £70 a month un-metered for 2
adults and one infant. (4 bed. house) No baths and no washing machine.

At around what.... £1.50 for 1000 litres and a quick look at water usage
per regeneration of 26 litres for this one..
http://eastmidlandswater.com/Details.asp?ProductID=87

that's a mere 4p per regeneration for 500 litres water (excluding salt)
so I should be £'s in.

All this talk has re-ignited my drive to get it sorted...
I'd already decided on the EMWC one above so I think I'd better do the
"less talk more action" bit.
:¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
http://www.trade-price-supplements.co.uk
http://www.water-rower.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31 15:04:51 +0100, "Michael Shergold"
said:

An additional cost is the water charge if you are on metered water.. My 13
year old automatic water softener regenerates every 4 or 5 days at 2.00am.
The cycle uses mains water to backflush and then flush saline solution at
various rates.. Fortunately we are not on metered water but I wonder if
softener manufacturers have reduced the amount of water used for this
process on newer models.. I would find it hard to live without a water
softener in a hard water area.
Michael

You could probably work out how much is used, but it would be
surprising if it's a big factor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:41:39 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

The only two types of device that are worth fitting are a phosphate
dosing system such as a Combimate

Screwfix do a 'whole house' one (blue plastic canister that unscrews) for
about £35. Don't go for the type with a metal canister that plugs into a
chromed brass fitting on the pipework as the small waterways on those are
prone to blocking up.

--
John Stumbles

The astronomer married a star

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:41:39 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

The only two types of device that are worth fitting are a phosphate
dosing system such as a Combimate

Screwfix do a 'whole house' one (blue plastic canister that unscrews) for
about £35. Don't go for the type with a metal canister that plugs into a
chromed brass fitting on the pipework as the small waterways on those are
prone to blocking up.

.... with scale/fur no doubt! :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:35:25 +0000, tinnews wrote:

... with scale/fur no doubt! :-)

No, I assume it's redeposition of the scale inhibitor salt. Ironically.
It makes such a compacted blockage I find I have to drill it out with a
2.5mm twist drill in my cordless.

--
John Stumbles

Press any key to continue or any other key to exit

Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful or carp? Robert Irwin UK diy 26 January 3rd 19 03:44 AM
Scale Metalworking 14 March 31st 06 01:12 AM
scaleD inhibitors John Stumbles UK diy 1 December 3rd 05 12:38 PM
The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Kind of Blue 45114 Metalworking 0 February 8th 05 08:12 PM
Scale Inhibitors EricP UK diy 46 November 8th 04 10:57 PM