Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scale

Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:55:02 GMT, "fred bruce"
wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Well..if you have a shaper..you can do what I did yesterday...

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Well..if you have a shaper..you can do what I did yesterday...

And, would you consider your method to be successful? Because, from
here, it seems not to be so much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
its me

"fred bruce" wrote in message ...
Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

I don't know if it is easy but a soak in muratic acid or vinegar will do it. That acid is nasty stuff to breath or get in your eyes though.
Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

"its me" wrote in message

"fred bruce" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Please try not to post in html.

Ken.

I don't know if it is easy but a soak in muratic acid or vinegar will do it.
That acid is nasty stuff to breath or get in your eyes though.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Well..if you have a shaper..you can do what I did yesterday...

And, would you consider your method to be successful? Because, from
here, it seems not to be so much.

actually...once I made a new part, to replace the one I broke out of
stupidity and a brain fart..the descaling went right along just hunky
dory. I planed the hot rolled scale off the pieces, flattening them
and squaring them up. I only now have to cut the 45" angle on the ends
of the fingers.

Want a picture of the new crank assembly I made? I took one for my
records. How often can you say you manufactured something out of
hydroflorinated silly putty?

Gunner, who will be pulling his transmission tomorrow to install a new
throwout bearing and slave cylinder..****ing Ford engineers.....

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
S R

If it is not too heavy, just pick up the scale and move it to another
location.

Stephen R.

"fred bruce" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:24:14 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 27 Mar 2006 22:32:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

And, would you consider your method to be successful? Because, from
here, it seems not to be so much.

actually...once I made a new part, to replace the one I broke out of
stupidity and a brain fart..the descaling went right along just hunky
dory. I planed the hot rolled scale off the pieces, flattening them
and squaring them up. I only now have to cut the 45" angle on the ends
of the fingers.

Excellent. Now you've got me wanting a shaper and/or a brake. Hm.
Anyone got plans for a home-made brake that doesn't suck?

Want a picture of the new crank assembly I made? I took one for my
records. How often can you say you manufactured something out of
hydroflorinated silly putty?

I'd love to see that. If you don't have webspace I can put 'em up for
you (standing offer to the group). My email is real.

Gunner, who will be pulling his transmission tomorrow to install a new
throwout bearing and slave cylinder..****ing Ford engineers.....

I like my old Saabs where the slave cyl, at least, is external.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:07:09 GMT, S R no wrote:
If it is not too heavy, just pick up the scale and move it to another
location.

OK, I've got to stop drinking coffee while I read this group. That's
twice this week now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On 28 Mar 2006 16:17:59 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:24:14 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 27 Mar 2006 22:32:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

And, would you consider your method to be successful? Because, from
here, it seems not to be so much.

actually...once I made a new part, to replace the one I broke out of
stupidity and a brain fart..the descaling went right along just hunky
dory. I planed the hot rolled scale off the pieces, flattening them
and squaring them up. I only now have to cut the 45" angle on the ends
of the fingers.

Excellent. Now you've got me wanting a shaper and/or a brake. Hm.
Anyone got plans for a home-made brake that doesn't suck?

The one I made isn't to bad but it's not a finger brake. You can see
the pics I made of it in the dropbox. Easiest is to access via my site
at the following.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ok/dropbox.htm

Scroll down to 2001 and then down to brake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:55:46 -0600, Wayne Cook wrote:
On 28 Mar 2006 16:17:59 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Excellent. Now you've got me wanting a shaper and/or a brake. Hm.
Anyone got plans for a home-made brake that doesn't suck?

The one I made isn't to bad but it's not a finger brake. You can see
the pics I made of it in the dropbox. Easiest is to access via my site
at the following.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ok/dropbox.htm

Ah, that looks like it's within my capabilities now. Thank you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On 28 Mar 2006 19:04:46 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:55:46 -0600, Wayne Cook wrote:
On 28 Mar 2006 16:17:59 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Excellent. Now you've got me wanting a shaper and/or a brake. Hm.
Anyone got plans for a home-made brake that doesn't suck?

The one I made isn't to bad but it's not a finger brake. You can see
the pics I made of it in the dropbox. Easiest is to access via my site
at the following.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ok/dropbox.htm

Ah, that looks like it's within my capabilities now. Thank you!

You're welcome. Just be aware that there's a lot of grinding to get
everything straight after welding. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.

"fred bruce" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to remove scale from hot rolled steel?

Uh oh! Are there two of us with the same name?

Steve (Stephen) R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default Scale (bending brake "plans")

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

Excellent. Now you've got me wanting a shaper and/or a brake. Hm.
Anyone got plans for a home-made brake that doesn't suck?

The one I made isn't to bad but it's not a finger brake. You can see
the pics I made of it in the dropbox. Easiest is to access via my site
at the following.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ok/dropbox.htm

Scroll down to 2001 and then down to brake.

i followed the links from a post about the HVLP sprayer, posted by Grant
Erwin.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...etalbrake.html
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...dropindex.html
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...phomepage.html