EricP

Default Scale Inhibitors

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Grunff

EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Nooooooooo!!! Please God, not again..Anything but this. How about we
talk about low cost power tools instead? Or maybe the pros and cons of
combis? Please??

--
Grunff
S Viemeister

Grunff wrote:

EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Nooooooooo!!! Please God, not again..Anything but this. How about we
talk about low cost power tools instead? Or maybe the pros and cons of
combis? Please??

Or Dysons. We could discuss Dysons.

Sheila

Andy Hall

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:24:37 GMT, EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke. Why do you think they come with money-back
guarantees? There is some evidence of them working on a large
industrial scale with closed loop recirculated water, but other than
that, it is very unreliable.

If you want to inhibit scale, there are only two ways to do it that
will definitely work:

a) Phosphor dosing unit like a Combimate. Costs about £100 to buy
and around £20 a year to run. It will stop scaling, but does not
soften the water.

b) Ion Exchange Water Softener. These cost from about £300-1000 in
domestic sizes and work by exchanging calcium and magnesium ions for
sodium ions. This is done using a special resin which is regenerated
with brine produced from salt placed in the machine. The water is
also softened as well as being non-scale-forming.and will thus save
around 30% of soap and detergent costs - in effect paying for the
salt. Softened water will also gradually redissolve scale.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 00:31:30 UTC, S Viemeister
wrote:

Nooooooooo!!! Please God, not again..Anything but this. How about we
talk about low cost power tools instead? Or maybe the pros and cons of
combis? Please??

Or Dysons. We could discuss Dysons.

Combi boilers?

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and

Andy Hall

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:30:22 +0000, Grunff wrote:

EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Nooooooooo!!! Please God, not again..Anything but this. How about we
talk about low cost power tools instead? Or maybe the pros and cons of
combis? Please??

You could buy one of each.... a win-win situation.

Buy two and they come with a free water divining rod...... :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Wade

S Viemeister wrote:

EricP wrote:
but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever
that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish
than sensible." - Bertrand Russell

--
Andy
EricP

EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Nooooooooo!!! Please God, not again..Anything but this. How about we
talk about low cost power tools instead? Or maybe the pros and cons of
combis? Please??

I looked and can't see anything. If the place is plastered with this
query, a pointer in the direction of them would have been a bit more
helpful.

As I am faced with shelling out a packet for one of these things, the
subject is serious to me.

I have always thought them a joke, I am told they are not. So I come
here to find helpful people that will probably know the answer.

EricP

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:41:45 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke.

Yet again, thanks for a sensible answer. )

Andy Hall

wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke.

Yet again, thanks for a sensible answer. )

If you look in Google Groups, use the advanced search and try keywords
like "descalers" and "water softeners" in this group only, you will be
able to form your own conclusions based on experiences of those who
have tried them and one notable individual who claims that they work
for him.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

EricP

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:08:25 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

If you look in Google Groups, use the advanced search and try keywords
like "descalers" and "water softeners" in this group only, you will be
able to form your own conclusions based on experiences of those who
have tried them and one notable individual who claims that they work
for him.

Will do.

I wonder who that's going to be?
Oooh the excitement!!
IMM

"EricP" wrote in message
The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

I have an Aqua Dial electronic one. It works. Best get one with a no
quibble return if it doesn't work. Give it 6 months.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:24:37 GMT, EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke.

What personal experience do you have of these units?

IMM

wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke.

Yet again, thanks for a sensible answer. )

He has no experience of these and is making things up.

IMM

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

It doesn't matter which sort you buy, they will all work well at
inhibiting scales from growing on your skin.

Have you any experience of this?

John Stumbles

Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:24:37 GMT, EricP wrote:

If you want to inhibit scale, there are only two ways to do it that
will definitely work:

a) Phosphor dosing unit like a Combimate. Costs about £100 to buy
and around £20 a year to run. It will stop scaling, but does not
soften the water.

Permutit version of phosphor dosing type is about £40 at B&Q. Even
combimates were more like £60 (IIRC) at
Glovers^H^H^H^H^HJayhards^H^H^H^H^HCity Plumbing
IMM

wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Yes they are a joke.

Yet again, thanks for a sensible answer. )

If you look in Google Groups, use the advanced search and try keywords
like "descalers" and "water softeners" in this group only, you will be
able to form your own conclusions based on experiences of those who
have tried them and one notable individual who claims that they work
for him.

Google will reveal many people who have success with these. Google will also
reveal lots of people who makes thing up.

IMM

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
EricP wrote:

I looked and can't see anything. If the place is plastered with this
query, a pointer in the direction of them would have been a bit more
helpful.

Google.

As I am faced with shelling out a packet for one of these things, the
subject is serious to me.

Would you like to buy some snake oil while you are at it.

I have always thought them a joke, I am told they are not. So I come
here to find helpful people that will probably know the answer.

Most will not know the answer, they make things up. Many rural retards.

EricP

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:13:03 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Getting on your high horse will see you getting the **** ripped out of
you rather than just taken.

It wasn't a high horse, just a statement of apparent fact, as any
reader can see by looking.

I can take the **** as well as anyone else, and have a fiendish
delight in doing so, I just don't really see the point in doing it in
a group like this. Seems a pointless exercise for the terminally bored
and impatient. (Although I have also been quilty of that many times )

Remember, any group lives on the flow of posts in it. If you kill
everybody, then you will soon get bored with your own company. Anyway,
I have got the answer I wanted and have saved some dosh, so I am
happy. )

See you tomorrow I expect, with another daft question. (Probably on a
plumbing topic, although I may switch to re-wiring for a change of
scene. I will try to make it a good one for your entertainment. )

Bob Eager

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:31:33 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

If you look in Google Groups, use the advanced search and try keywords
like "descalers" and "water softeners" in this group only, you will be
able to form your own conclusions based on experiences of those who
have tried them and one notable individual who claims that they work
for him.

Google will reveal many people who have success with these. Google will also
reveal lots of people who makes thing up.

And it will reveal that these are the same people.

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:30:23 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:24:37 GMT, EricP wrote:

If you want to inhibit scale, there are only two ways to do it that
will definitely work:

a) Phosphor dosing unit like a Combimate. Costs about £100 to buy
and around £20 a year to run. It will stop scaling, but does not
soften the water.

Permutit version of phosphor dosing type is about £40 at B&Q. Even
combimates were more like £60 (IIRC) at
Glovers^H^H^H^H^HJayhards^H^H^H^H^HCity Plumbing

Oh, so they've come down then.

This makes the notion of using a electronic/magnetic device costing
the same or more something of a nonsense.

I must go and feed my pet rock.........

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Pete C

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:24:37 GMT, EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

Hi,

Why do you need a descaler? There may be other ways round some of the
problems caused by scale, and any magnetic/electronic scaler even if
it works will only solve one or two of them.

Also what kind of scale do you get in your kettle, is it soft white
scale or cement like brittle scale. IMO the dangers of the latter are
often overstated.

If worried about scale formation on heating elements, try a
magnetic/electronic descaler on the CW pipe under the sink to see if
it stops scale formation on the kettle element. That would be better
than installing one and trusting it to work.

cheers,
Pete.
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I must go and feed my pet rock.........

What name have you given this rock?

IMM

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

IMM wrote:

I have an Aqua Dial electronic one. It works.

Bwhahahahahahahahahaaha.

snip tripe from a bumpkin

IMM

IMM wrote:

It doesn't matter which sort you buy, they will all work well at
inhibiting scales from growing on your skin.

Have you any experience of this?

Yes, based on your recommendation
I bought one of these devices. I
installed it in accordance with the
instructions and ... it did **** all
for the inhibition of scale.

Stop making things up.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
snip tripe from a bumpkin

You really do beleive that snipping text and inserting the comment above
achieves something other than making you look like moron don't you?

I'd say he likes to Google for his own posts. Looks good on there...

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

EricP wrote:

The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
For the 15mm mains water inlet

Do they really work and which is best, magnet or plugged in one?
They all seem to cost a bomb but I have heard some good stories from
users both domestic and semi industrial. I thought they were a joke.

Cheers

here we go again....
IMM

IMM wrote:

Yes, based on your recommendation
I bought one of these devices. I
installed it in accordance with the
instructions and ... it did **** all
for the inhibition of scale.

Stop making things up.

AH yes,

snip tripe

Stop making things up.

IMM

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
IMM wrote:

snip tripe from a bumpkin

You really

snip tripe from a moron

Owain

"Steve Firth" wrote
| The permanent magnet or the electronic ones.
| For the 15mm mains water inlet
| It doesn't matter which sort you buy, they will all work
| well at inhibiting scales from growing on your skin.

But doesn't drinking lots of magnetic water cause its own problems ...
sticking to fridge doors and the like.

Owain

Peter Parry

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:55:13 GMT, EricP
wrote:

As I am faced with shelling out a packet for one of these things, the
subject is serious to me.

I have always thought them a joke, I am told they are not.

Your first opinion was right. Some permanent magnet ones used in
recirculating industrial applications (where the majority of the
water is pumped through the device many times) do appear to have some
ability to stop scale adhesion to pipes. There is no objective
evidence that the electronic ones do anything at all to water.

This matter (as you will probably discover!) has been done over many
times. I once set up a small test rig to try a variety of devices
and found the electronic gizmos had no effect at all, the magnetic
ones had no observable effect if the water went through them once
but a barely noticeable effect if you pumped the same water through
them time and time again.

There is simply no comparison between these things and an
ion-exchange softener.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
EricP

wrote:

[...]

The positive results I was told about were from a semi industrial
application and fit the circumstances you outline. I must therefore
conclude the things a waste of time for my needs.

Thanks for your time in this reply, and thanks to the others that
contributed. )

IMM

wrote:

As I am faced with shelling out a packet for one of these things, the
subject is serious to me.

I have always thought them a joke, I am told they are not.

Your first opinion was right. Some permanent magnet ones used in
recirculating industrial applications (where the majority of the
water is pumped through the device many times) do appear to have some
ability to stop scale adhesion to pipes. There is no objective
evidence that the electronic ones do anything at all to water.

Mine works. And those large Dutch commercial units I saw 20 odd years ago
certainly worked.

This matter (as you will probably discover!) has been done over many
times. I once set up a small test rig to try a variety of devices
and found the electronic gizmos had no effect at all, the magnetic
ones had no observable effect if the water went through them once
but a barely noticeable effect if you pumped the same water through
them time and time again.

There is simply no comparison between these things and an
ion-exchange softener.

But many of them work.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:19:11 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I must go and feed my pet rock.........

What name have you given this rock?

IMM of course :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

wrote:

[...]

This man is a rank amateur, no research expert. My, oh, my. Mine works.

IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:31:33 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

If you look in Google Groups, use the advanced search and try keywords
like "descalers" and "water softeners" in this group only, you will be
able to form your own conclusions based on experiences of those who
have tried them and one notable individual who claims that they work
for him.

Google will reveal many people who have success with these. Google will

also
reveal lots of people who makes thing up.

And it will reveal that these are the same people.

Did you think them being on Google for all this time they would have turned
into other people?

IMM

wrote:

Getting on your high horse will see you getting the **** ripped out of
you rather than just taken.

It wasn't a high horse, just a statement of apparent fact, as any
reader can see by looking.

I can take the **** as well as anyone else, and have a fiendish
delight in doing so,

Some of these people are so naive they can't tell if you are **** taking.
Sad but true.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:19:11 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I must go and feed my pet rock.........

What name have you given this rock?

IMM of course :-)

I am flattered. Was this rock previously called Mount Everest?

raden

In message , IMM writes

.. .
wrote:

Getting on your high horse will see you getting the **** ripped out of
you rather than just taken.

It wasn't a high horse, just a statement of apparent fact, as any
reader can see by looking.

I can take the **** as well as anyone else, and have a fiendish
delight in doing so,

Some of these people are so naive they can't tell if you are **** taking.