Robert Irwin

Default Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful or carp?

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Robert

Grunff

Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Google this group for an answer - this comes up very frequently.

--
Grunff
Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:50:54 -0000, "Robert Irwin"
catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Robert

No and yes.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Michael McNeil

Default Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful for carp?

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with
magnets. Maggots though...

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:54:49 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Google this group for an answer - this comes up very frequently.

Is there anything fishy about this thread?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

The Natural Philosopher

Robert Irwin wrote:

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Tell him to take it away and throw it down the bin.

Robert

IMM

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do

these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I have one on a combi and it works.

---

IMM

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:d1b5f841ab2e5b9149809bb507dda204.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do

these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with
magnets. Maggots though...

Mine is an electronic one and it works.

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one. If
they did not
work these companies would not risk their reputation.

Works a treat. Highly recommended.

http://www.fernox.com/whatsnew/main_ewc.htm

Which says:

"Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner Fernox has recently launched the
solution to limescale in the home. The Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner,
an electronic scale-reducing device protects your system against the
damaging effects of limescale that can result in boiler or hot water
cylinder failure.

Using the latest micro-processor technology the unit produces a complex
modulating frequency waveform which causes the calcium carbonate to form
clusters. This way it remains in suspension and does not accumulate inside
the hot water cylinder or boiler, ensuring the system runs at peak
efficiency and saving on heating costs.

Not only does the Electronic Water Conditioner prevent the build-up of
further hard scale, it also dissolves existing scale, which will be flushed
from your system.

Guaranteed for 5 years the Fernox Water Conditioner offers long term
protection for the home."

Also:
One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept. at
Bath University,
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html

Also:

DPS at:
http://www.heatweb.com
Recommend the Water King electronic de-scaling box

Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the RR
class, Andy hall will tell you all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this ng,
who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec was
their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."

Top makers of heat banks/cylinder and boilers recommend electronic. They
recommend them as "in the field" they are known to work.

And my Aqua-Dial electronic descaler, who make phosphor descalers and full
salt softeners, still works.

---

Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:43 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:d1b5f841ab2e5b9149809bb507dda204.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do

these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with
magnets. Maggots though...

Mine is an electronic one and it works.

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one.

I rather doubt if they are in the electronics business, Almost
certainly they resell something designed and made by someone else.

Also:
One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept. at
Bath University,
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html

That is stretching it.

The company also repeatedly says that water is "capricious". WHat
kind of science is that?

There is inconsistency.

"Our units are not softeners. They are conditioners"

"In a very short time, approximately four weeks, you will notice the
water begins to feel softer. Taps, shower roses and other outlets
gradually lose their coating of scale. Lather will increase and the
use of detergents will be reduced."

These last two claims are chemically impossible.

Also:

DPS at:
http://www.heatweb.com
Recommend the Water King electronic de-scaling box

Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the RR
class, Andy hall will tell you all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this ng,
who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec was
their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."

Not when I spoke to them. The recommendation was phosphor dosing or
ion exchange softening.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:43 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:d1b5f841ab2e5b9149809bb507dda204.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.

Do
these
work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with
magnets. Maggots though...

Mine is an electronic one and it works.

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one.

I rather doubt if they are in the electronics business, Almost
certainly they resell something designed and made by someone else.

If it didn't work, hey would not sell one. They have a reputation to look
after.

[...]

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do

these

work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I have one on a combi and it works.

It helps him hear the voices in his head you know. Its that good. Really.

---

IMM

IMM wrote:

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do

these

work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

I have one on a combi and it works.

It helps him hear the voices in his head you know. Its that good. Really.

Have you ever wound the wires of one of these around your head?

---

BillR

Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical
one?

Robert

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"BillR" wrote in message
Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical
one?

Robert

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

Mine works.

...........well it is an electronic box, not a magnet.

---

IMM

"BillR" wrote in message
Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical
one?

Robert

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

Mine works.

Point made then.

LOL, boiled beef and carrots, boiled beef and carrots...

---

IMM

IMM wrote:

"BillR" wrote in message

Robert Irwin wrote:

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical
one?

Robert

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

Mine works.

QED.

LOL, so funny and all that.

---

R W

Robert Irwin wrote:
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler.
Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical
one?

First of 2004? Here we go!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 14:33, wrote:

They MIGHT work in low hardwater areas, but where we are, these
electronic devices achieved no water softening effect at all.
Useless!On Sunday, 18 January 2004 19:01:08 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:43 -0000, "IMM"
wrote:

only 9 years late ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I understood that they do not reduce the content, I mean how can they, they
tend to make the particlles clump and one supposes that this will only be
effective if there are not too many of them!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exactly like the technology.

One particular unit claims bit things for an alternating hf current in a
coil. It is so annoying that it screws up radio reception for several
hhouses near it, and of course it don't work neither.

If there was any validity in this, then in the intervening years they would
have been developed surely?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/04/2013 14:33, wrote:

They MIGHT work in low hardwater areas, but where we are, these
electronic devices achieved no water softening effect at all.
Useless!On Sunday, 18 January 2004 19:01:08 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:43 -0000, "IMM"
wrote:

only 9 years late ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to IMM, Scott wrote:
Vulcan anti-limescale systems have been servicing industry for over 40 years
and have systems capable of treating up to 1 meter diameter pipes with