Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Master/Slave mains sockets

I have noticed that a number of the better vacuum cleaners have a mains
outlet that somehow cause the vacuum cleaner to operate when the load is
switched on.

Looking for a standalone unit which does this I found the following at
Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...MASTERPLUG.htm

which is a bit overkill and also a bit too shiny for use in the shed.

Does anyone know of a two socket master/slave version?

I was pondering trying to incorporate a foot operated NVR switch into a
twin socket version.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:43:46 +0100, Richard wrote:

I have noticed that a number of the better vacuum cleaners have a mains
outlet that somehow cause the vacuum cleaner to operate when the load is
switched on.

Vacuum cleaners with a mains outlet ...? Can you explain that please
?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I have noticed that a number of the better vacuum cleaners have a mains
outlet that somehow cause the vacuum cleaner to operate when the load is
switched on.

Looking for a standalone unit which does this I found the following at
Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...MASTERPLUG.htm

which is a bit overkill and also a bit too shiny for use in the shed.

Does anyone know of a two socket master/slave version?

I've seen trailing sockets where one is the sensor and the rest switched.
Maplin - or probably Ebay. Not expensive. Think I've seen them in Lidl too.

I was pondering trying to incorporate a foot operated NVR switch into a
twin socket version.

If you're building something you might be able to take the guts out of one
of those and fit to a metal clad twin socket along with the connections to
your foot switch.

TIA

Richard

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
wrote

Looking for a standalone unit which does this I found the following at
Argos

search google for intelliplug

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/469962.xml

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:43:46 +0100, Richard wrote:

Does anyone know of a two socket master/slave version?

Just plug an adapter into it. So long as the current flows through the
sensor current, and so long as you watch the total load (which can
exceed the total permitted, so long as you don't switch both on
together) then it's easy.

Alternatively use a remote control switch, such as a cheap radio switch.
Remote control is nearly as much use as automatic.

If you build your own, start with a current transformer. The rest is
easy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

If you build your own, start with a current transformer. The rest is
easy.

That was as far as my thoughts had reached!

And thanks to all other respondents. So much in life seems to be about
accurately describing what you are searching for.

I might 'enhance' the cheapest off-the-shelf item - perhaps the Intelliplug.

Cheers

Richard