Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default pizza oven

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and build
like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with 2 inch
of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message
I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and
build like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with
2 inch of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

Tony

We - that is Spouse - built an outdoor bread oven for me. I have a series of
pictures, if you'd like to see them mail me.

But there isn't a British - or any other - Standard for a bread of pizza
oven, the range is enormous. We started with a book: The Bread Builders:
Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens by Alan Scott and Daniel Wing, you can get
it from Amazon. It's excellent, very good reading and gives full principles
and instructions for lots of different kinds of ovens.

There's another book by Tiko Denzer, from shich the following has been
devised:

http://handyprojects.blogspot.com/20...cal-notes.html

We had Denzer's book but decided that while it would be fun to build a mud
oven it might not stand the Yorkshire weather.

You could Google for building pizza ovens and probably get lots of good -
and some questionable - information. I recommend Scott and Wing.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"TMC" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for this Mary

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able
to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Chris" wrote in message
. 254...
"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Jamie Oliver has one and I think it was installed by these people
http://www.orchardovens.co.uk/
so that might give some clues.
Kathleen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Kathleen Roberts" wrote in
message news

"Chris" wrote in message
. 254...
"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of
links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Jamie Oliver has one and I think it was installed by these people
http://www.orchardovens.co.uk/
so that might give some clues.
Kathleen

Not the same as making one, which is far more satisfying.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Chris" wrote in message
. 254...
"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Also found this...
http://www.alforno.com.au/wood-oven-...tion-steps.php
Kathleen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On 2008-07-23 10:54:07 +0100, "Kathleen Roberts"
said:

"Chris" wrote in message
. 254...
"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Jamie Oliver has one and I think it was installed by these people
http://www.orchardovens.co.uk/
so that might give some clues.
Kathleen

The Pot Kiln, quite close to me, has one that they built themselves.
It works well and the owner, Mike Robinson, is quite an approachable
fellow and might be willing to explain.

http://www.potkiln.org/images/pizzaevening/oven.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Kathleen Roberts" wrote in
message news

"Chris" wrote in message
. 254...
"Mike....." wrote in
:

Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of
links.

Google is your friend
Chris

Jamie Oliver has one and I think it was installed by these people
http://www.orchardovens.co.uk/
so that might give some clues.
Kathleen

Not the same as making one, which is far more satisfying.

Mary

Hi Mary. I hope you are well. Long time no see in ukfd. IIRC, your
husband built you a brick oven but I am happy to stand corrected.
--
June Hughes

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to June Hughes

Hi Mary. I hope you are well. Long time no see in ukfd.

Hello June, long time no see in d-i-y :-)
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Hi Mary. I hope you are well. Long time no see in ukfd. IIRC, your
husband built you a brick oven but I am happy to stand corrected.

Hello June,

I've already mentioned that :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mike....." ha scritto nel messaggio
Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able
to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

No, she does not, but has restored a single one.

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

No one builds them here anymore excpet commercial ones, but even those have
a prefab center. There is a lively trade in prefab ones for outside, some
have some cement to make them look a bit more authentic, most are black
metal. They cost about ?1000 and up depending on bells and whistles.

The wholly hand built ones. like my old one, are tons of masonry. That's
why it takes 12 hours to heat up. The heatproof cement is just an inner
finish.

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

Why? I've never seen one so small. The wood one uses is a metre long! I
think you are paying too much attention to how it looks and not enough to
how it works. You build the fire, hear it and it stays hot for hours and
hours, the temp going down all the time so that you cook things at high
temps, then sort of high, then moderate... you get it. In pizza parlors
they feed the fire for the 2 hours they are using it, so there has to be
room for the wood as well as the pizza. What you describe would hold only
one pizza or one loaf of bread, so where will the wood go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Kathleen Roberts" ha
scritto nel messaggio ...

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of
links.

Also found this...
http://www.alforno.com.au/wood-oven-...tion-steps.php
Kathleen

All of those look like the cement versions of the prefab ones you can buy.
Seems like that would be cheaper, but I wouldn't have a clue how to use one
so small. Teensy wood?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Giusi" wrote in message

The wholly hand built ones. like my old one, are tons of masonry.

Ours isn't.

That's why it takes 12 hours to heat up.

Ours takes three or four hours, depending on ambient temperature, wind and
moisture, to get to enough heat to bake a month's worth of very good bread.
Pizzas take far less time, in fact you bake pizzas while there is still fire
in the oven.

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

Why? I've never seen one so small.

That doesn't mean anything except that you've never seen one so small.

The wood one uses is a metre long!

Not necessarily.
think you are paying too much attention to how it looks and not enough to
how it works. You build the fire, hear it

Does it sing???

and it stays hot for hours and hours, the temp going down all the time so
that you cook things at high temps, then sort of high, then moderate...
you get it.

Not everyone needs that range.

In pizza parlors they feed the fire for the 2 hours they are using it, so
there has to be room for the wood as well as the pizza. What you describe
would hold only one pizza or one loaf of bread, so where will the wood go?

I think you're the one who's being unnecessarily precise. An oven which
would only be used for home pizza making doesn't need to be big. Even one
used for bread doesn't need to be much bigger than what Mike's talking
about. 'Pizza parlours' are commercial and can't be compared with someone
making a pizza oven for personal use.

In fact most pizzas for take-aways and restaurants in UK are made in huge
factories and shipped, probably frozen, to the outlets. I doubt that they
ever see the inside of a stone pizza oven.

There is no standard mud/stone/earth/bread/pizza oven. There might well be
optimum ones for commercial or even home use but it all depends on what you
want.

1m lengths of timber wouldn't fit into our oven and it works extremely well.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" ha scritto nel messaggio
t...

"Giusi" wrote in message
[...]

Here is my experience. My name was even mentioned in terms of pizza ovens.
I was obliging.
http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...-burning-oven/

I can make pizza in a combo microwave and grill oven. I think he's going
for something more here. I think it is lovely that people like your husband
and the OP are building ovens, but asked about pizza ovens, my response is
the above, which you don't like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Giusi wrote:
Here is my experience. My name was even mentioned in terms of pizza
ovens. I was obliging.
http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...-burning-oven/

I can make pizza in a combo microwave and grill oven. I think he's
going for something more here. I think it is lovely that people like
your husband and the OP are building ovens, but asked about pizza
ovens, my response is the above, which you don't like.

Oh I am sure we will take *your* knowledge and experience on this, Guisi
I have experience of others' pretending to have it

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mike....." wrote in message
Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able
to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and
build
like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with 2
inch
of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

This book might help:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-O...6842604&sr=8-1

Also:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ilders&x=0&y=0

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Mary Fisher

That doesn't mean anything except that you've never seen one so small.

Mary, I asked Guisi to comment on italian authentic pizza ovens in Italy,
where she lives, that many Brits do make do with less is fairly irrelevant
to her descriptions.
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Graham" wrote in message

"Mike....." wrote in message
Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able
to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and
build
like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with 2
inch
of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

This book might help:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-O...6842604&sr=8-1

Yes, that's the Kiko Denzer one I suggested but earth ovens aren't really
suitable for the British weather - unless they're regarded as temporary.
Since they're easy and fun to build that might fit the bill though, although
fireclay wouldn't be required. The first, fierce, firing vitrifies the
lining.

Also:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ilders&x=0&y=0

That's the other I recommended and it's our favourite, it's very
comprehensive and we used its principles to build ours.

As I said to the op, I have a long series of pictures of the building of
ours which shows details of every stage.

Mary

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message
I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and
build like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with
2 inch of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

Tony

If you're anywhere near you might enjoy http://www.brockwell-bake.org.uk/

I'd make the journey from Leeds if we weren't sailing round Svalberd at the
time!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:

I'd make the journey from Leeds if we weren't sailing round Svalberd at the
time!

Can we look forward to a post from .sj ?

(In case this is taken seriously, Wiki says "(not in use; no
registrations)".

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I'd make the journey from Leeds if we weren't sailing round Svalberd at
the time!

Can we look forward to a post from .sj ?

It would come from my address.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I'd make the journey from Leeds if we weren't sailing round Svalberd at
the time!

Can we look forward to a post from .sj ?

It would come from my address.

Mary

this might be of interest:

http://www.traditionaloven.com/