Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default pizza oven

"Mike....." ha scritto nel messaggio
Following up to TMC

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able
to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

No, she does not, but has restored a single one.

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

No one builds them here anymore excpet commercial ones, but even those have
a prefab center. There is a lively trade in prefab ones for outside, some
have some cement to make them look a bit more authentic, most are black
metal. They cost about ?1000 and up depending on bells and whistles.

The wholly hand built ones. like my old one, are tons of masonry. That's
why it takes 12 hours to heat up. The heatproof cement is just an inner
finish.

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

Why? I've never seen one so small. The wood one uses is a metre long! I
think you are paying too much attention to how it looks and not enough to
how it works. You build the fire, hear it and it stays hot for hours and
hours, the temp going down all the time so that you cook things at high
temps, then sort of high, then moderate... you get it. In pizza parlors
they feed the fire for the 2 hours they are using it, so there has to be
room for the wood as well as the pizza. What you describe would hold only
one pizza or one loaf of bread, so where will the wood go?