Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default pizza oven

"TMC" wrote in message
I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and
build like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with
2 inch of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are
other unknowns

Any help appreciated

Tony

We - that is Spouse - built an outdoor bread oven for me. I have a series of
pictures, if you'd like to see them mail me.

But there isn't a British - or any other - Standard for a bread of pizza
oven, the range is enormous. We started with a book: The Bread Builders:
Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens by Alan Scott and Daniel Wing, you can get
it from Amazon. It's excellent, very good reading and gives full principles
and instructions for lots of different kinds of ovens.

There's another book by Tiko Denzer, from shich the following has been
devised:

http://handyprojects.blogspot.com/20...cal-notes.html

We had Denzer's book but decided that while it would be fun to build a mud
oven it might not stand the Yorkshire weather.

You could Google for building pizza ovens and probably get lots of good -
and some questionable - information. I recommend Scott and Wing.

Mary