Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pikey Express!

On 15/07/2008 09:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me of the saga with car batteries. For years, those who sold
them would take the old ones and pass them back up the chain to the
manufacturers. They used to get something like 70% of the old batteries
back which they recycled. There was no payment through the chain for
this AFAIK. Then came regulation on disposal (of lead, I think).
Government decided that it had to have a paper trail for each returned
battery to ensure they weren't being dumped. At the stroke of a pen,
the recycling rate plumitted, as there were now forms to obtain, fill
in, and offences committed if you didn't. So the chain just stopped
taking them back and they mostly went into landfill.

Recently I've replaced a couple of UPS batteries, I took the old ones in
to a local supplier to get the correct replacement, they were quite keen
to take the old ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

For rodinary household batteries we are asked to recycle them (by the
council as well as urged by many 'green' organisations). But the only
place is the local tip - several miles, uphill, from here.

Ok - so store them. But honestly, I do not want a pile of festering,
possibly leaky, batteries anywhere. And I do not go to the dump often
enough to avoid the festering pile of piles.

The ideal would be for things like these to be recyclable at any shop
that sells batteries. Just drop them in when I go shopping or for a walk
round the block.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jul, 08:48, Rod wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Getting customers to get a small skip is not a bad idea because often
people have extra stuff that they would like to dump but which hasn't
justified a skip.

Skips are fine if you have your own space (we do). But there is all
sorts to consider and pay if that is not possible, especially if it
needs to be retained overnight or longer or you live on a narrow road...

--
Rod

onset.

Our council just charges 25 quid per month to have it on the road. It
is always arranged by the skip companies.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for commercial
users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is the way. Then
you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher is not
trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I already pay
piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody jobsworths
at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother turning up on a
Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the ones a few
use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip charges.

You could stand as a candidate with a manifesto for increasing the taxes and
see if your view is supported by others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:45:06 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Owain
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I'm not quite sure why Medway trading standards require criminal records
checks through Disclosure Scotland, though, and not the English equivalent.

From my limited reading of the workings of the CRB: There are three
standards of checks; enhanced, standard & basic. Enhanced is for
people working closely with children & vulnerable adults (teachers,
care home staff, etc), and requires disclosure of not just any
offences, but rumour & innuendo known to the police; Standard is for
those whose job brings them into contact with children & vulnerable
adults as part of their job as well as certain legal and financial
professions, and requires all convictions to be disclosed, unspent as
well as spent. Basic disclosure is unspent convictions only.

The CRB in England can just about cope with the numbers for Enhanced &
Standard disclosures, but can't cope with any for Basic checks. It
sounds like they're contracting it out to the Scottish CRB.

The sooner England declares itself independent of the UK and joins
Scotland, the better.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:

For rodinary household batteries we are asked to recycle them (by the
council as well as urged by many 'green' organisations). But the only
place is the local tip - several miles, uphill, from here.

Ok - so store them. But honestly, I do not want a pile of festering,
possibly leaky, batteries anywhere. And I do not go to the dump often
enough to avoid the festering pile of piles.

The ideal would be for things like these to be recyclable at any shop
that sells batteries. Just drop them in when I go shopping or for a walk
round the block.

Councils are legally obliged to stop batteries going into landfill
in the near future (can't recall the date), and I think that's already
the case for NiCds. Ours were talking about providing prepay envelopes
to post them off somewhere, but I haven't heard what the current plans
are.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 15 Jul, 08:48, Rod wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Getting customers to get a small skip is not a bad idea because often
people have extra stuff that they would like to dump but which hasn't
justified a skip.

Skips are fine if you have your own space (we do). But there is all
sorts to consider and pay if that is not possible, especially if it
needs to be retained overnight or longer or you live on a narrow road...

Our council just charges 25 quid per month to have it on the road. It
is always arranged by the skip companies.
Simon.

Just had a look at a local skip hire place. Extracts below. Works out a
lot of money for a pretty small amount of waste. With the additional
hazarding of £100 for the lights/comes you could need to pay £265.75 up
front. Against just £105.75 if on own property. Makes it a real
incentive to do the 'right thing'. Not.

"2 Yard (Mini Skip) 1.9m x 1.3m x 0.9m £90 + VAT (£105.75)
4 Yard (Midi Skip) 2.59m x 1.67m x 1.14m £120 + VAT (£141.00)

If you must have your skip put on a public road then we are afraid there
are some additional costs.

* £30 administration fee if you want us to arrange the permit
* £???? Whatever your local highways charge us for the permit
(usually between £0 & £30)

Arranging the permit can take upto 10 working days so please ensure you
book in advance.

All skips on the roads need to have a light positioned on each corner
and be surrounded by traffic cones. We can supply these free of charge
however there will be a £100 returnable deposit with the order and a £35
charge per item for any that are missing on collection of the skip."

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
On 15 Jul,
Rod wrote:

For rodinary household batteries we are asked to recycle them (by the
council as well as urged by many 'green' organisations). But the only
place is the local tip - several miles, uphill, from here.

Our council recycles them.

Ok - so store them.

We do, for up to a fortnight (or longer if not leaking, and the bag
(fastened to the nitice board in the kitchen by two drawing pins) is not too
heavy, in a small bag provided by the council.

But honestly, I do not want a pile of festering, possibly leaky, batteries
anywhere. And I do not go to the dump often enough to avoid the festering
pile of piles.

The ideal would be for things like these to be recyclable at any shop that
sells batteries. Just drop them in when I go shopping or for a walk round
the block.

We find the system here as good as any, they go out with the other
recyclables in the fortnightly collection. We don't have to remember to take
them back to the shop. If the small bag gets too heavy to stay put on the
notice board it goes in the recycle box, and is substituted by a new one.

Sounds OK. I thought take them back to *any* shop that sells batteries
might be workable. And, if needed, some sort of behind the scenes
mechanism so the local shop that sells 100 but gets 10,000 doesn't
subsidise B&Q selling 100,000 but only getting back 100.

And, while on the subject, bloomin' old/used white spirit. Really don't
know where to take that.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 10:09*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"somebody" wrote in message

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for commercial
users? * Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is the way. *Then
you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. *Getting rid of my old dishwasher is not
trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? *I already pay
piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody jobsworths
at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother turning up on a
Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the ones a few
use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip charges.

You could stand as a candidate with a manifesto for increasing the taxes and
see if your view is supported by others.

So did taxes go down when they introduced the charges? No - so why
should they go up if the charges (and all the associated pen pushers)
are scrapped.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 9:39*am, Rod wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

The ideal would be to use rechargeables. Since investing in a good
charger and NiMH cells, the only primary cells used in our household
are for watches, cycle computers and BIOS backup in the PCs (but I've
never had one of those fail before the PC was replaced).

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

(smoking seems to be a normal trait by EVERYBODY in the pseudo
building trade) as well as electricians).

Gas fitters?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:09:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee,
"dennis@home" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the ones a few
use
or
collect tax for everything.

Or the Government's (of all hues) preferred strategy: Collect tax up
to the capping limit (which is held artificially low to avoid
headlines & pensioners protesting), and hike up charges and fines to
almost everyone.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:47:30 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Howard Neil wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I told her not to bother, the pikeys would get it before the
council did. Sure enough, 8:15 this morning a large tattooed bloke
rang the doorbell "alright if we take the dishwasher guv?". By
8:20 it was gone. Pikey Express have obviously opened a branch in
this area :-)

Can't beat that for service!

He knocked and asked if he could take it? That doesn't sound much
like pikeys. Or have they got a new code of conduct? ;-)

I think we are getting a better class of pikey here in Kent...

I had my kitchen refitted a few months ago by a local kitchen firm who
subcontracted to a decent outfit (apart from them smoking as they
worked (smoking seems to be a normal trait by EVERYBODY in the pseudo
building trade) as well as electricians).

I would never smoke in a clients house unless invited to. I will smoke in a
clients garden, fag ends are deposited in a tin to avoid litter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-15 00:20:20 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-07-15 00:03:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next
to the height barrier...

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for
commercial users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is
the way. Then you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher
is not trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I
already pay piggin council tak.

OK, but that aside, what are you meant to do with trade waste?

Dunno actually, I have no intention of shelling out £300 + a year
for a waste transfer license.

I think there is a tip about 10 miles away for trade waste, never
been there.

So you need a license for that and pay charges on top? Stuff that,
as you say.

I suppose it does mean that your punters are left having to dump the
waste which is a shame.

It certainly is. I'm service orientated, customer friendly, so it is a
shame. I don't do many jobs big enough to generate much waste, but when I
do I make it clear that I can't take the waste away & suggest various
options.

Hippo Bags have their place, clients like them, don't mind the poor £ per
kilo ratio. Easy to keep in the front garden, easy for the lorry to lift
over the garden wall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next to the
height barrier...

Get some paper. Stick "Hertz" over your name.

My local tip let me dump a dead fridge FOC from a rental van - even
though I had to go down to the commercial bit to do it, as there's a
height limit.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for commercial
users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is the way. Then you
pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher
is not trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I
already pay piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody
jobsworths at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother
turning up on a Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the
ones a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip
charges.

Trust you to miss the point.

I'm already paying council tax for use of the tip. I can't take my domestic
waste there simply because I drive a van. I'm not asking to tip trade waste
free.

I couldn't use my people carrier either because the height barrier is too
low.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:09:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee,
"dennis@home" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the
ones a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

Or the Government's (of all hues) preferred strategy: Collect tax up
to the capping limit (which is held artificially low to avoid
headlines & pensioners protesting), and hike up charges and fines to
almost everyone.

Like, for example Medway Council making £4 million from parking charges &
fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and
stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking
charge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:53:04 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next to the
height barrier...

Get some paper. Stick "Hertz" over your name.

My local tip let me dump a dead fridge FOC from a rental van - even
though I had to go down to the commercial bit to do it, as there's a
height limit.

Won't they collect items?
My LA will collect bulky items (even scrap cars!) FOC, up to a limit
of, ISTR, four or five a year.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next to
the height barrier...

Get some paper. Stick "Hertz" over your name.

My local tip let me dump a dead fridge FOC from a rental van - even
though I had to go down to the commercial bit to do it, as there's a
height limit.

Won't they collect items?
My LA will collect bulky items (even scrap cars!) FOC, up to a limit
of, ISTR, four or five a year.

They will - eventualy. Last time I tried it was a three piece suite, they
said it would take 10 -14 days. Didn't feel like leaving it on the drive
for that long, so I paid a guy in a van.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:
"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for commercial
users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is the way. Then
you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher
is not trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I
already pay piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody
jobsworths at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother
turning up on a Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the
ones a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip
charges.

Trust you to miss the point.

I'm already paying council tax for use of the tip. I can't take my
domestic waste there simply because I drive a van. I'm not asking to tip
trade waste free.

I couldn't use my people carrier either because the height barrier is too
low.

Ask them to open it!

How do you think people with 4x4s get in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for commercial
users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is the way. Then
you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher is not
trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I already pay
piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody
jobsworths at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother
turning up on a Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the ones
a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip charges.

You could stand as a candidate with a manifesto for increasing the
taxes and see if your view is supported by others.

No, not at all, but I do understand your point.

I think you may have mis-understood my case. I can tip for free at the
council site but they make it so bloody difficult that I can't be arsed.
Instead I go to commercial landfill and pay for a service for which I
have actually already paid the council.

Bear in mind, this is all non commercial, domestic waste - even if from
my own DIYings.

Kind Regards
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
dennis@home wrote:
"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Andy Hall wrote:

So don't they have a separate area with weighbridges for
commercial users? Weigh on the way in, weigh on the way out is
the way. Then you pay

Not in any of my local tips no. Getting rid of my old dishwasher
is not trade waste anyway, why should I pay to get rid of it? I
already pay piggin
council tak.

Absolutely right Dave, why pay twice? Round this way the bloody
jobsworths at the tip do their job so well that I won't even bother
turning up on a Sunday when the height barriers are removed.

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the
ones a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

From your words I assume you want to pay more tax and have free tip
charges.

Trust you to miss the point.

I'm already paying council tax for use of the tip. I can't take my
domestic waste there simply because I drive a van. I'm not asking
to tip trade waste free.

I couldn't use my people carrier either because the height barrier
is too low.

Ask them to open it!

How do you think people with 4x4s get in?

In our local tip they don't. The height barrier is only ever opened for the
trucks collecting the waste containers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:01:23 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Like, for example Medway Council making £4 million from parking charges &
fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and
stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking
charge.

You're right - I appealed against a parking charge earlier this year
(alledgedly failure to display in Boley Hill car park, in reality failure
to see the obvious ticket). I had evidence that the ticket had been
purchased and displayed, but more importantly that the PCN did not comply
with section 66 of the Road Traffic Act 1991.

I appealed to the council, giving what were solid legal grounds, and they
rejected my appeal by return of post. I then appealed to the independent
adjudicator at the traffic penalty tribunal, who upheld the appeal and
cancelled the charge.

It was the printed PCN that did not comply with the act, so every one of
their tickets must have been unenforcable. Perhaps this is still the case,
I wouldn't know. Perhaps no one had bothered to check before, or maybe the
council just don't care.

So yes, medway council will just reject appeals, even with a cast-iron
defence, but the independent adjudicator does judge the cases fairly. And
it's always worth checking that the PCN complies with the relevent sections
of the RT act.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next to
the height barrier...

Get some paper. Stick "Hertz" over your name.

My local tip let me dump a dead fridge FOC from a rental van - even
though I had to go down to the commercial bit to do it, as there's a
height limit.

Won't they collect items?
My LA will collect bulky items (even scrap cars!) FOC, up to a limit
of, ISTR, four or five a year.

They will - eventualy. Last time I tried it was a three piece suite, they
said it would take 10 -14 days. Didn't feel like leaving it on the drive
for that long, so I paid a guy in a van.

I hope you got a waste transfer note to try to ensure it wasn't just
dumped somewhere :-)

Round here special collections are a few days after the regular one.
My normal refuse collection is on a Friday; the 'special' collection
is normally the following Wednesday (or it might be Tuesday)...

The next few days might be all to cock, since I think a lot of Unison
workers are taking two days unpaid 'holiday'...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that. Next time the *******s ticket me I'll know more about it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Caecilius
writes
wrote:
[...]

Take it to the local paper - let them do an article as to why it isn't
legal, shaft the buggers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-16 00:15:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

dennis@home wrote:
"
How do you think people with 4x4s get in?

In our local tip they don't. The height barrier is only ever opened for the
trucks collecting the waste containers.

I'd have them over the coals for that one. There is a similar
arrangement at a tip in Bracknell where I sometimes go. If I just
have the Discovery it will go under the barrier. If I have anything
on the roof, it won't
Fortunately they have a separate liftable barrier that a pikesworth has
to come and open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 132327 20080715 200123 "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:09:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee,
"dennis@home" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

There are two ways to run a council..
collect tax for services most people use and charge extra for the
ones a few use
or
collect tax for everything.

Or the Government's (of all hues) preferred strategy: Collect tax up
to the capping limit (which is held artificially low to avoid
headlines & pensioners protesting), and hike up charges and fines to
almost everyone.

Like, for example Medway Council making �4 million from parking charges &
fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and
stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking
charge.

Many local governments are turning into dictatorships.
Mine certainly is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

&
fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and
stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking
charge.

Many local governments are turning into dictatorships.

/pedant on

I doubt it - few local governments are run by one person. ITYM an oligarchy,
as I don't think the term "incompetantarchy" has been coined yet.

/pedant off

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

I would never smoke in a clients house unless invited to. I will smoke in
a clients garden, fag ends are deposited in a tin to avoid litter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Possibly silly question - does the workplace smoking law apply when you're
in a client's house? It might be somebody's private home, but it's your
temporary workplace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-16 10:42:15 +0100, "Robert Campbell"
said:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

I would never smoke in a clients house unless invited to. I will smoke in
a clients garden, fag ends are deposited in a tin to avoid litter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Possibly silly question - does the workplace smoking law apply when you're
in a client's house? It might be somebody's private home, but it's your
temporary workplace.

If it doesn't it should, and

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
om...
wrote:
Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

Theocracy springs to mind, when its based on socshlissed rather than
religious precepts, but still entirely unsupported by objective evidence.;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:55:00 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2008-07-16 10:42:15 +0100, "Robert Campbell"
said:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

I would never smoke in a clients house unless invited to. I will smoke in
a clients garden, fag ends are deposited in a tin to avoid litter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Possibly silly question - does the workplace smoking law apply when you're
in a client's house? It might be somebody's private home, but it's your
temporary workplace.

If it doesn't it should, and

There are loads of builders' ("white") vans around here not displaying
the statutory non-smoking stickers.

Perhaps builders are exempt from all this legislation 'n' stuff.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:01:23 GMT The Medway Handyman wrote :
Like, for example Medway Council making £4 million from parking charges &
fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and
stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking
charge.

Yes, when I get to run things, councils will have to send all parking
revenue to Whitehall, save for a small set deduction for expenses. At that
point, particularly when the local council and HMG are not of the same
persuasion, they'll be falling over themselves to decide how little parking
control is necessary .... No more issuing tickets at Tesco Teddington at
1825 on Saturdays.

... meanwhile unlike now they'll be allowed to keep business rates so will
have a vested interest in encouraging the well-being of town centres and
commercial investment, instead of using parking and planning restrictions
to try and stop it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

There are loads of builders' ("white") vans around here not displaying
the statutory non-smoking stickers.

Perhaps builders are exempt from all this legislation 'n' stuff.

There's no sticker on the front door of that well known workplace No 10
Downing Street either.

Perhaps politicians are exempt from all this legislation 'n' stuff.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Campbell wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...

I would never smoke in a clients house unless invited to. I will
smoke in a clients garden, fag ends are deposited in a tin to avoid
litter. --
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Possibly silly question - does the workplace smoking law apply when
you're in a client's house? It might be somebody's private home, but
it's your temporary workplace.

I believe it does, such is the stupidity of the legislation.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:51:43 +0100 Owain wrote :
AIUI it does, and a worker can ask the householder to cease smoking or
refuse to work - at least that's the guidance issued to staff by my
local authority, I think.

Would be hard on Princess Margaret if still around then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-14, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Sure enough, 8:15 this morning a large tattooed bloke rang the
doorbell "alright if we take the dishwasher guv?". By 8:20 it was
gone.

Blimey. He asked?

He did. Not only that, he appologised for calling so early (I was still in
my dressing gown at the time).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Business Cards Express [email protected] Woodworking 6 January 29th 07 01:39 AM
Business Cards Express [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 26th 07 01:30 AM
Business Cards Express [email protected] UK diy 2 January 25th 07 09:48 AM
Shed Express Colin Bird UK diy 8 June 25th 06 11:47 AM
OT Another way to express a political opinion. Usual Suspect Metalworking 4 January 2nd 06 08:22 PM