Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [borderline OT] - Deterring foxes

We've kept chickens for many years, and as such are very aware of the
constant attentions of the local fox population.

We also have a couple of cats which we feed outside on a balcony at the back
of our house (something we have also done for a long time).

Earlier this year I noticed that any uneaten catfood would completely
disappear overnight - every night.

We recently started to take the food inside, which solved that problem. Now
every morning we are regularly treated to a stinking fox poo at the precise
location where the cat food would be. Not pleasant.

Does anybody out there have opinions on the relative merits of the various
deterrent products that seem to be commercially available?

I am predisposed to using a chemical product like SCOOT
(http://tinyurl.com/56m8tc) but I see there are PIR based ultrasonic
"scarers". I suspect the deter cats just as much as foxes though.

Any other ideas? (I personally favour euthenasia via a polonium spiked lump
of meat) but Screwfix don't sell polonium).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:21:25 +0100, Vortex3 wrote:

[...]

Are the cats out at night?

Could you use a scarer but have it on a timeswitch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex3 wrote:

We've kept chickens for many years, and as such are very aware of the
constant attentions of the local fox population.

Does anybody out there have opinions on the relative merits of the various
deterrent products that seem to be commercially available?

I am predisposed to using a chemical product like SCOOT
(http://tinyurl.com/56m8tc) but I see there are PIR based ultrasonic
"scarers". I suspect the deter cats just as much as foxes though.

The only sure way of getting rid of foxes is to shoot them.
Find someone with a shotgun, and ask them if the could do it, so long as
there is a safe area to shoot toward.
Otherwise, use a trap, then shoot them in the trap. I know a few people
who do that, as they just dont have time to wait for the fox to come
along through the 'safe shot' area in their garden.
Scaring them with ultrasonics is pretty comical - the fox is clever, so
not easily fooled by strange sounds it suddenly hears.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex3" wrote in message
[...]

The only solution which worked for us was to build a 2m chain link fence all
round the vulnerable parts of the garden.

It sounds like Stalag 17 but isn't, it lets light and air in and is good for
climbing plants.

After fox had killed (not taken or eaten) several of our chickens and we'd
tried everything available we're now very happy - and so are our present
hens.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default - Deterring foxes

Various options discussed here recently:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...45b0758c b1fa

If the link doesn't work, just Google the archive for "fox diesel".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
Various options discussed here recently:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...45b0758c b1fa

If the link doesn't work, just Google the archive for "fox diesel".

Thanks for that Mike.

What worked for you in the end?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only solution which worked for us was to build a 2m chain link fence
all round the vulnerable parts of the garden.

It sounds like Stalag 17 but isn't, it lets light and air in and is good
for climbing plants.

After fox had killed (not taken or eaten) several of our chickens and
we'd tried everything available we're now very happy - and so are our
present hens.

Mary

Problem is we have 200m of boundary! It's simply not practical.

Our hens often range during the day. The only losses we have ever had are
related to humans letting them out too early or not securing them properly
at night.

Fox comes to investigate every day just before dawn....

FYI I recently built "the mother of all chickenhouses"
http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/chickenplex.jpg with portcullis style
popholes. So far... so good. the next step is actually a ultra secure run
about 10m x 5m in size.

Not going to fox deffiing on the balcony though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:27:07 +0100, Vortex3 wrote:

[...]

Got an electric fence you could string round the balcony on a night-time
timeswitch?

Or even lay some chickenwire on the deck connected to it...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I only said what our solution was :-)

Our hens often range during the day. The only losses we have ever had are
related to humans letting them out too early or not securing them properly
at night.

Ours were all killed during the day, usually in the afternoon. Urban fox
don't bother about daylight, buildings or humans.

FYI I recently built "the mother of all chickenhouses"
http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/chickenplex.jpg with portcullis style
popholes. So far... so good. the next step is actually a ultra secure
run about 10m x 5m in size.

That makes sense. Unless it's at least 2m high though it will need a roof. A
solid roof over part of it is a good idea anyway, to afford shelter from sun
and rain. They won't necessarily go into the henhouse.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex3" wrote in message
[...]

Diesel rag around the perimeter on a 3 day cycle for around 3 weeks to keep
the smell going. After that if the bugger is still persistent get a VERY
large dog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil Barker wrote:

In article , alan@darkroom.
+.com says...

The only sure way of getting rid of foxes is to shoot them.

Very true.

They don't run faster than a .223 52gr VMax at 3200fps....

Christ, I though you had disappeared from Usenet altogether Neil.
I was ordered to go and kill a fox on Friday evening, though it turned
into a waste of time, as the fox was spotted for a second at 100 metres,
then we never saw it again.
Cant use a rifle on it as the land is not safe to shoot over, so only
close range shotgun or traps for this one. It looks like I'll be sitting
in wait sometime this week when it gets dark.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Neil Barker wrote:

In article , alan@darkroom.
+.com says...

The only sure way of getting rid of foxes is to shoot them.

Very true.

They don't run faster than a .223 52gr VMax at 3200fps....

Christ, I though you had disappeared from Usenet altogether Neil.
I was ordered to go and kill a fox on Friday evening, though it turned
into a waste of time, as the fox was spotted for a second at 100 metres,
then we never saw it again.
Cant use a rifle on it as the land is not safe to shoot over, so only
close range shotgun or traps for this one. It looks like I'll be sitting
in wait sometime this week when it gets dark.
Alan.

OK.

Getting closer to topicality, I fancy having a stab at making a trap.

I have a mate with a shotgun who can subsequently "do the deed".

If I derive pleasure from this (as is likely), will Nu Labour be on my case?

How the hell do you dispose of a fox carcass in a residential area?
Straight in the wheely bin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex3 wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Christ, I though you had disappeared from Usenet altogether Neil.
I was ordered to go and kill a fox on Friday evening, though it turned
into a waste of time, as the fox was spotted for a second at 100 metres,
then we never saw it again.

Getting closer to topicality, I fancy having a stab at making a trap.
I have a mate with a shotgun who can subsequently "do the deed".
If I derive pleasure from this (as is likely), will Nu Labour be on my case?
How the hell do you dispose of a fox carcass in a residential area?
Straight in the wheely bin?

Not sure about the trap specs, but a wire cage, approx 3 feet square
would be ideal, you need a sprung loaded door, so when, either the fox
enters the cage, or when it pulls at the meat bait, the door slams shut.
Farmers suppliers sell them at £70ish.

Foxes are vermin, so can be killed by landowners or their agents under
the 'General Licence'. I'm not up to the full regulations, but AFAIAA,
you need to show that the fox has caused a problem for you by taking
your animals, or crops etc. This proof will only be required if someone
objects to your killing of the fox.
If it is a pest, it can be legally killed, so long as you dont use 2 or
more dogs to catch it.
In real life, the Police/authorities will do nothing when presented with
a complaint about someone trapping and killing a fox. It took your
chicken the previous week hadnt it?

Disposing of bodies is difficult if you havent any land to bury it.
Compost heaps on farms are a good dump. Unscrupulous people dump them at
the side of the road at night, to make them look like road kill.
A vets practice would take them for a small fee.
Oh, and dont use a big shotgun load with a trapped fox. A .410 shotgun
to the head is enough for an instant kill, with little mess.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 1:56*pm, "Vortex3" wrote:
Thanks for that Mike.

What worked for you in the end?

Amazingly, once I'd asked on UK-DIY, the buggers disappeared.

Although now that I've said that, they'll probably come back with
diarrhoea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

On Jul 13, 1:56*pm, "Vortex3" wrote:
Thanks for that Mike.

What worked for you in the end?

Amazingly, once I'd asked on UK-DIY, the buggers disappeared.

Although now that I've said that, they'll probably come back with
diarrhoea ...

.... cunningly bottled as "Human Repellent".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex3 wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Neil Barker wrote:

In article , alan@darkroom.
+.com says...

[...]

Leave it in the road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RW
writes
Diesel rag around the perimeter on a 3 day cycle for around 3 weeks to keep
the smell going. After that if the bugger is still persistent get a VERY
large dog.

Start a sanctuary for disowned fox hounds

--
Clint Sharp

deterring dogs from my garden jives11 UK diy 12 March 10th 08 04:43 PM
Bloody foxes Weatherlawyer UK diy 25 September 9th 06 09:50 PM
Detering Foxes Andrew Mawson UK diy 23 October 25th 05 11:52 AM
deterring foxes [news] UK diy 93 March 25th 05 09:30 PM