Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default deterring dogs from my garden

Greetings,

My neighbour has a dog which sometimes strays into my garden. We share
a boundary but it cuts across thick rhododendron bushes and has some
gaps. Technically the boundary is his but I conceded it's hard to
secure and we get on very well.

His dog , a spaniel , has started straying into my garden . This
causes 2 problems :

1) My front garden has no gate , so the dog could escape onto the road
via my garden

2) It is using my garden as a toilet.

My neighbour is wonderful, and I'd hate to upset him as he graciously
put up with all kinds of building work on my side.

I wondered if there are any humane dog deterrents that work i.e.
ultrasonic IR type devices. I do have electricity at that end of the
garden.

many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jives11 wrote:

His dog , a spaniel , has started straying into my garden . This
causes 2 problems :

1) My front garden has no gate , so the dog could escape onto the road
via my garden

2) It is using my garden as a toilet.

Why can't you shift the problem back to your neighbour by focussing just
on Problem 1? Point out your concern that the dog will get run over
if it gets through into your garden - no need to mention the dog poo
which is presumably your major issue - then it's down to the neighbour
either to dog-proof his garden or keep the animal on a long lead or
something.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
jives11 wrote:

His dog , a spaniel , has started straying into my garden . This
causes 2 problems :

1) My front garden has no gate , so the dog could escape onto the road
via my garden

2) It is using my garden as a toilet.

Why can't you shift the problem back to your neighbour by focussing just
on Problem 1? Point out your concern that the dog will get run over if
it gets through into your garden - no need to mention the dog poo which
is presumably your major issue - then it's down to the neighbour either
to dog-proof his garden or keep the animal on a long lead or something.

David

AIUI there is no requirement or obligation on the owner to secure a
boundary.

A bit of netting or chestnut stake fencing in the gaps will probably be
cheaper than any hi-tech solution, this combined with the excellent
advice on focusing on the road issue seems a good way to proceed.

It makes a change to have an OP valuing the importance of good
neighbourly relations !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote in message
Greetings,

My neighbour has a dog which sometimes strays into my garden. We share
a boundary but it cuts across thick rhododendron bushes and has some
gaps. Technically the boundary is his but I conceded it's hard to
secure and we get on very well.

Buy an German shepard. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:41:33 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

jives11 wrote:

His dog , a spaniel , has started straying into my garden . This
causes 2 problems :

1) My front garden has no gate , so the dog could escape onto the road
via my garden

2) It is using my garden as a toilet.

Why can't you shift the problem back to your neighbour by focussing just
on Problem 1? Point out your concern that the dog will get run over
if it gets through into your garden - no need to mention the dog poo
which is presumably your major issue - then it's down to the neighbour
either to dog-proof his garden or keep the animal on a long lead or
something.

David

Got to be careful for the neighbour not to offer to put a gate on.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Buy an German shepard. :-)

The Poo would incraese in size!
:¬(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
George wrote:

Buy an German shepard. :-)

The Poo would incraese in size!
:¬(

Eh! you train it to go in the neighbours garden. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Eh! you train it to go in the neighbours garden. ;-)

LOL !!
Good call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:07:56 -0700 (PDT), jives11
wrote:

Greetings,

My neighbour has a dog which sometimes strays into my garden. We share
a boundary but it cuts across thick rhododendron bushes and has some
gaps. Technically the boundary is his but I conceded it's hard to
secure and we get on very well.

His dog , a spaniel , has started straying into my garden . This
causes 2 problems :

1) My front garden has no gate , so the dog could escape onto the road
via my garden

2) It is using my garden as a toilet.

My neighbour is wonderful, and I'd hate to upset him as he graciously
put up with all kinds of building work on my side.

I wondered if there are any humane dog deterrents that work i.e.
ultrasonic IR type devices. I do have electricity at that end of the
garden.

Best bet, as others have mentioned, is to have a word with your
neighbour and point out your 'worries' that the dog might get out into
the road. Might help if you returned the dog, having 'found him in the
road'.
Another 'incentive' is to mention that you have rat poison down, and
that you'd be mortified ( as would the pooch ) if the dog scoffed any.

You could try training the dog...but you'd have to catch it in the act
of coming through the bushes. A stern 'NO - BAD - OUT' will let it
know it's encroaching on your territory...but you do have to do it as
it crosses the boundary rather than once it's in the garden. I doubt
it would learn instantly though.

You could try an ultrasound device - I'd recommend you wait with it by
the hedge, and as the dog comes through shout 'NO - BAD - OUT'...and
then chuck the ultrasound doo-dah at it, box and all.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

You could try an ultrasound device - I'd recommend you wait with it by
the hedge, and as the dog comes through shout 'NO - BAD - OUT'...and
then chuck the ultrasound doo-dah at it, box and all.

Surely you are not suggesting these ultrasonic devices do not work and are a
waste of money!! My In Laws have two to deter cats from their garden. I
have actually seen cats use them as posts to rub their necks on, but my
Father In Law insists they work and it was £50 well spent as the cats are
very rarely in their garden (when the in laws are outside).

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robert" wrote in message
snip

AIUI there is no requirement or obligation on the owner to secure a
boundary.

But; AIUI there _is_ a absolute requirement for a landholder to prevent
their animal(s) from straying off their property AND an obligation to secure
their property against people suffering injury from hazardous items on their
property.

A bit of netting or chestnut stake fencing in the gaps will probably be
cheaper than any hi-tech solution, this combined with the excellent advice
on focusing on the road issue seems a good way to proceed.

It makes a change to have an OP valuing the importance of good neighbourly
relations !

But: AIUI; it's the _neighbour's_ animal that is straying off the
neighbour's land.

It doesn't need a secure _boundary_ just a _restrained_ animal.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "John"
saying something like:

Surely you are not suggesting these ultrasonic devices do not work and are a
waste of money!! My In Laws have two to deter cats from their garden. I
have actually seen cats use them as posts to rub their necks on, but my
Father In Law insists they work and it was £50 well spent as the cats are
very rarely in their garden (when the in laws are outside).

Depends. Have they noticed any hoofprints in the margarine recently? If
not, the deterrent must be working.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

You could try an ultrasound device - I'd recommend you wait with it
by the hedge, and as the dog comes through shout 'NO - BAD - OUT'...and
then chuck the ultrasound doo-dah at it, box and all.

Surely you are not suggesting these ultrasonic devices do not work
and are a waste of money!! My In Laws have two to deter cats from
their garden. I have actually seen cats use them as posts to rub
their necks on, but my Father In Law insists they work and it was £50
well spent as the cats are very rarely in their garden (when the in
laws are outside).

Probably bought the ones without magnets inside. ;-)

Tim