[news]

Default deterring foxes

anyone have any 1st hand experience of fox repellent liquids ?

we've got an urban fox travelling back and forth, diagonally, through
our back garden and over the last few months we've not been using
the lawn it's worn a distinct groove in the grass, so obvious that it
led to us discovering 2 fox holes just on the other side of a boundary
wall. one under an old andersen shelted and the other under a shed.

I don't begrudge a fox the right of access to my garden but I do
draw the line at it laying large "fox eggs" all over my previously
poo free garden. not nice :-(

any suggestions ?

RT

Alan

In message , "[news]"
wrote
anyone have any 1st hand experience of fox repellent liquids ?

we've got an urban fox travelling back and forth, diagonally, through
our back garden and over the last few months we've not been using
the lawn it's worn a distinct groove in the grass, so obvious that it
led to us discovering 2 fox holes just on the other side of a boundary
wall. one under an old andersen shelted and the other under a shed.

I don't begrudge a fox the right of access to my garden but I do
draw the line at it laying large "fox eggs" all over my previously
poo free garden. not nice :-(

any suggestions ?

Maybe an old wives (farmers) tale, but recently on television it was
suggested that marking the territory with human urine may deter foxes
from the marked location.
--
Alan

Mary Fisher

"[news]" wrote in message
anyone have any 1st hand experience of fox repellent liquids ?

we've got an urban fox travelling back and forth, diagonally, through
our back garden and over the last few months we've not been using
the lawn it's worn a distinct groove in the grass, so obvious that it
led to us discovering 2 fox holes just on the other side of a boundary
wall. one under an old andersen shelted and the other under a shed.

I don't begrudge a fox the right of access to my garden but I do
draw the line at it laying large "fox eggs" all over my previously
poo free garden. not nice :-(

Renardine does work and I like the smell but not everyone does. It has to be
replenished frequently and I don't think that the memory of it will work for
future generations. It would be expensive to put round the whole boundary.

Some recommend a man made liquid round your boundary. That didn't work for
us.

Some recommend PET bottles full of water left lying around. We didn't even
try that.

Some recommend human hair round the boundary. I don't think that would work
because it would soon lose whatever human odour it had and would blow away
or be pulled under by worms or be covered over with all sorts of things.
Including fox eggs perhaps.

any suggestions ?

The only thing which worked for us was a 6' high chain link fence all round
the garden - making sure that the conjunctions with neighbours' fences were
blocked in some way. They (fox) can jump and they can walk on very narrow
fence tops. Barbed wired isn't 100% effective, 2' vertical steel poles,
about 3" apart at the fence corner were.

They can also dig under fences so either the fence needs to be 2' deep or
there must be an impenetrable barrier on the ground at either side of the
fence. We already had concrete at our neighbours' sides.

A determined fox is VERY difficult to deter.

If you don't like the fence idea a large dog is probably your only answer
but it must be kept in the garden and be visible.

The fence has worked for us. We have had no chickens killed since we erected
ours - at great expense of money and time and effort.

Mary

RT

[news]

Mary Fisher wrote:
"[news]" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for the replies.

fencing is impractical, as is a dog. man water + renardine + scoot it is then.

I don't want to scare it off from the area, I'd just rather it layed it's darned eggs
in any other garden but ours. quite interested to see if it's a female and if so,
if there's any cubs about.

RT

Mike

"[news]" wrote in message
anyone have any 1st hand experience of fox repellent liquids ?

we've got an urban fox travelling back and forth, diagonally, through
our back garden and over the last few months we've not been using
the lawn it's worn a distinct groove in the grass, so obvious that it
led to us discovering 2 fox holes just on the other side of a boundary
wall. one under an old andersen shelted and the other under a shed.

I don't begrudge a fox the right of access to my garden but I do
draw the line at it laying large "fox eggs" all over my previously
poo free garden. not nice :-(

any suggestions ?

**** in their holes and all along the paths they make regularly until they
give up. Not an overnight solution as the smell has to build up but it does
work.

Alternatively a sign pointing to Prescott's house ?

gordon

[news] wrote:

[...]

Can I just ask - how do you distinguish fox eggs from dog, or cat? I
just ask, cos we get regular deposits and assumed it was a cat, but we
do get urban foxes (in Edinburgh).

[news]

gordon wrote:
[news] wrote:

[...]

no dogs in the area, far too big for a cat, laid along a track leading to
two fox nests within twenty feet of each other, fox spotted on CCTV
travelling along the path. odds on, they are fox eggs.

RT

Lobster

[news] wrote:
anyone have any 1st hand experience of fox repellent liquids ?

Not first hand, but I'm told that stuff called Renardine is the foxes'
******** as a repellent: you get it from argricultural suppliers etc

David
Mike

"gordon" wrote in message
.uk...

Can I just ask - how do you distinguish fox eggs from dog, or cat? I
just ask, cos we get regular deposits and assumed it was a cat, but we
do get urban foxes (in Edinburgh).

They are drier than dog's ones and smell more.

But if you've had badgers then you'll think a fox a great improvement -
their 'slurry' smells the whole garden out.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
[news] wrote:
quite interested to see if it's a female and if so,
if there's any cubs about.

You definitely don't want that. Last year the vixen deposited her cubs in
my garden at night while she went off foraging. The noise they made was
unbelievable.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sue

In message , Mike
writes

But if you've had badgers then you'll think a fox a great improvement -
their 'slurry' smells the whole garden out.

Badgers dig up wasps' nests and eat them.
I don't know of anything useful that foxes do.

Foxes eat a varied diet, you often find beetles' wing cases, cherry
stones and the like in rural fox droppings. Urban foxes, you'd find
small debris from takeaway food, like those little ketchup sachets. It
must be the junk food that makes urban droppings small so bad.

--
Sue ]
Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
[news] wrote:
quite interested to see if it's a female and if so,
if there's any cubs about.

You definitely don't want that. Last year the vixen deposited her cubs in
my garden at night while she went off foraging. The noise they made was
unbelievable.

You should feed them - either with something or to something :-)

Alan

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote
In article ,
[news] wrote:
quite interested to see if it's a female and if so,
if there's any cubs about.

You definitely don't want that. Last year the vixen deposited her cubs in
my garden at night while she went off foraging. The noise they made was
unbelievable.

But they are cute

--
Alan

jd

What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

Mary Fisher

RT

Can I just ask - how do you distinguish fox eggs from dog, or cat? I
just ask, cos we get regular deposits and assumed it was a cat, but we
do get urban foxes (in Edinburgh).

Fox eggs are a different colour, odour, size and shape from any dog or cat
egg I've ever seen or smelled

Mary

Mary Fisher

[news] wrote:
quite interested to see if it's a female and if so,
if there's any cubs about.

You definitely don't want that. Last year the vixen deposited her cubs in
my garden at night while she went off foraging. The noise they made was
unbelievable.

You should feed them - either with something or to something :-)

The noise of a vixen on heat is bloodcurdling.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"[news]" wrote in message
[...]

He might deserve it but i think they'd go in any other direction possible if
they could read.

Mary Fisher

"jd" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

They don't have to be posh or on horseback. The majority of fox hunters
aren't either.

Mary

Alan

In message .com, jd
wrote
What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

How would replacing a few piles of fox s**t with 340 piles of horse,
human and beagle s**t help?

I'm sure a hunt would do a lot more damage to the garden than a few
foxes.

If zero tolerance policing is okay for people living in towns why isn't
it applicable to criminals living in the countryside. One law for rich
Tories voters and another for the rest of us!

--
Alan

Mary Fisher

"Sue" wrote in message
In message , Mike
writes

But if you've had badgers then you'll think a fox a great improvement -
their 'slurry' smells the whole garden out.

Badgers dig up wasps' nests and eat them.

What's useful about that?

Mary

Alan

In message , Mary
Fisher wrote

"jd" wrote in message
roups.com...
What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

They don't have to be posh or on horseback. The majority of fox hunters
aren't either.

When fox hunting is the only issue that the organisation that represents
_everyone_ in the countryside wants to promote the rest of us can only
assume that they are posh and rich enough not to be affected by the lack
of rural public transport, the reduction of post offices, local shops
and local pubs etc.

--
Alan

Andy Hall

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:53:09 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher wrote

"jd" wrote in message
groups.com...
What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

They don't have to be posh or on horseback. The majority of fox hunters
aren't either.

When fox hunting is the only issue that the organisation that represents
_everyone_ in the countryside wants to promote the rest of us can only
assume that they are posh and rich enough not to be affected by the lack
of rural public transport, the reduction of post offices, local shops
and local pubs etc.

I expect that they are following the example and methodology of the
elected organisation which purports to represent all of us.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:27:05 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Badgers dig up wasps' nests and eat them.

What's useful about that?

If the wasps nest is close to inhabited places then wasps nests can be
a real pain. We had one about 15 feet from our front door last summer
and it could have been dangerous if they had swarmed.

Andrew

Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:28:47 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Alternatively a sign pointing to Prescott's house ?

He might deserve it but i think they'd go in any other direction possible if
they could read.

We only have to wait another month or so and he's history. He isn't
standing in the next election, thank goodness.

Andrew

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Badgers dig up wasps' nests and eat them.

What's useful about that?

If the wasps nest is close to inhabited places then wasps nests can be
a real pain.

If badgers are close to inhabited places theyn they are a real pain.

We had one about 15 feet from our front door last summer
and it could have been dangerous if they had swarmed.

Wasps don't swarm.

Mary

Andrew

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Alternatively a sign pointing to Prescott's house ?

He might deserve it but i think they'd go in any other direction possible
if
they could read.

We only have to wait another month or so and he's history. He isn't
standing in the next election, thank goodness.

Isn't he???

Good Heavens, I didn't know that! If it's true you've really cheered up my
day :-)

But has he said so? And how did you understand what he meant?

Mary

Andrew

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:53:09 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher wrote

"jd" wrote in message
egroups.com...
What about 150 posh people on horses with 40 barking, hungry Beagles in
tow? That might do the tick (but don't let the Old Bill know about
it.....)

They don't have to be posh or on horseback. The majority of fox hunters
aren't either.

When fox hunting is the only issue that the organisation that represents
_everyone_ in the countryside wants to promote

But it isn't ...

the rest of us can only
assume that they are posh and rich enough not to be affected by the lack
of rural public transport, the reduction of post offices, local shops
and local pubs etc.

Such services need customers. If the customers aren't there they'll lose
money and have to close. It's lack of support which causes failure of
businesses.

I expect that they are following the example and methodology of the
elected organisation which purports to represent all of us.....

Yes, my first reaction on reading the above (beginning "When fox hunting ...
") was that no one organisation represents any one community. Heck, I don't
even represent my family.

Mary

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:46:27 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

If badgers are close to inhabited places theyn they are a real pain.

Maybe. No personal experience.

Wasps don't swarm.

Well the quivalent thereof. If their residence appears to be under
attack then a whole damn army of them will be making their presence
known.

Andrew

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:47:42 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

But has he said so? And how did you understand what he meant?

Hmm, I'm sure I read it somewhere - but I'm blowed if I can find a
reference to it now! Nearest I have come is:

http://www.sourceuk.net/indexf.html?02261

Andrew

Mary Fisher

wrote:

If badgers are close to inhabited places theyn they are a real pain.

Maybe. No personal experience.

Wasps don't swarm.

Well the quivalent thereof.

There is no equivalent.

If their residence appears to be under
attack then a whole damn army of them will be making their presence
known.

That's not a swarm.

If your residence appeared to be under attack I reckon you'd make your
presence felt - and get as much help as you could.

A swarm is a very special phenomenon, it's when some of the population of a
colony of social insects leaves to found another colony. Wasps never do
that.

Mary

Andrew

[news]

wrote:

If badgers are close to inhabited places theyn they are a real pain.

Maybe. No personal experience.

Wasps don't swarm.

Well the quivalent thereof.

There is no equivalent.

If their residence appears to be under
attack then a whole damn army of them will be making their presence
known.

That's not a swarm.

If your residence appeared to be under attack I reckon you'd make your
presence felt - and get as much help as you could.

A swarm is a very special phenomenon, it's when some of the population of a
colony of social insects leaves to found another colony. Wasps never do
that.

but you know what he means and knew what he meant when he said it.

pointless usenettery personified (if you know what I mean)

RT

Mike

"Alan" wrote in message

When fox hunting is the only issue that the organisation that represents
_everyone_ in the countryside wants to promote the rest of us can only
assume that they are posh and rich enough not to be affected by the lack
of

rural public transport

Use the Land Rover. If you don't have one then you're obviously not a
farmer so why are you in the countryside ?

the reduction of post offices & local shops

Agree this is a problem but see next comment

and local pubs

Locally a farming co-operative got together and bought the pub. It may
expand to selling food soon.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

If badgers are close to inhabited places theyn they are a real pain.

Maybe. No personal experience.

Wasps don't swarm.

Well the quivalent thereof.

There is no equivalent.

If their residence appears to be under
attack then a whole damn army of them will be making their presence
known.

That's not a swarm.

If your residence appeared to be under attack I reckon you'd make your
presence felt - and get as much help as you could.

A swarm is a very special phenomenon, it's when some of the population of
colony of social insects leaves to found another colony. Wasps never do
that.

but you know what he means and knew what he meant when he said it.

er - you know more about what's in my mind than I do?

pointless usenettery personified (if you know what I mean)

I don't think I do but perhaps you know better.

RT

Mary Fisher

wrote:

But has he said so? And how did you understand what he meant?

Hmm, I'm sure I read it somewhere - but I'm blowed if I can find a
reference to it now! Nearest I have come is:

http://www.sourceuk.net/indexf.html?02261

That's a fascinating site but there was nothing definite. I did like:

" the suggestion is that Prescott will step down from the Cabinet, stay on
the backbenches but then find a position to suit his many talents. Old hands
remember that he was once an EU Commissioner. One wag suggests a role in
international conflict resolution. "

Many talents. A role in ... conflict resolution.

Hmm.

Something to look out for, thanks for an amusing diversion :-)

Mary

Andrew

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:34:48 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

but you know what he means and knew what he meant when he said it.

Thank you. I was beginning to feel hen-pecked

Andrew

Mary Fisher

wrote:

But has he said so? And how did you understand what he meant?

Hmm, I'm sure I read it somewhere - but I'm blowed if I can find a
reference to it now! Nearest I have come is:

http://www.sourceuk.net/indexf.html?02261

Just looked again - it'sdated 08/02/2002!

Authoritative or what?

Now tell me about badgers and wasps.

Mary

Andrew

nick smith

When fox hunting is the only issue that the organisation that represents
_everyone_ in the countryside wants to promote the rest of us can only
assume that they are posh and rich enough not to be affected by the lack
of

rural public transport

Use the Land Rover. If you don't have one then you're obviously not a
farmer so why are you in the countryside ?

Obviously took a wrong turn when taking the kids to school............

Nick

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:48:05 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Now tell me about badgers and wasps.

Why should I? You just argue incessantly.....

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Now tell me about badgers and wasps.