Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low capital solar for low temperature space heating?

Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc. The intended result is to raise the Winter temperature of an
otherwise unheated non-commercial workshop to "habitable" (for hairy-
arsed chippies wearing check lumberjack shirts).

Capital costs should be lower than installing other sorts of heating
(i.e. not much), because not much is going to happen otherwise.

Performance should be sufficient to avoid one's brew freezing over.
I'm not aiming for living room comfort, or for hot water supply, here.
A few (?) degrees would count as success.

Areas are about 1,000 sq ft of workshop and a 12' wide roof to sit it
on (the ridge faces South, so the panel would sit above this, against
a South-facing wall). If that's impractical, it might still be useful
to heat a 12' square area of the workshop alone.

Any advice on building a simulation model (probably Excel, nothing
clever) ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc. The intended result is to raise the Winter temperature of an
otherwise unheated non-commercial workshop to "habitable" (for hairy-
arsed chippies wearing check lumberjack shirts).

I wouldn't call you that!

I'm also surprised that you're asking - that's a compliment by the way.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc. The intended result is to raise the Winter temperature of an
otherwise unheated non-commercial workshop to "habitable" (for hairy-
arsed chippies wearing check lumberjack shirts).

Capital costs should be lower than installing other sorts of heating
(i.e. not much), because not much is going to happen otherwise.

Performance should be sufficient to avoid one's brew freezing over.
I'm not aiming for living room comfort, or for hot water supply, here.
A few (?) degrees would count as success.

Probably the best thing is to get scrap radiators and spray them black,
and mount under glass in the roof.

Your most effective method of doing this is first of all to insulate to
the HILT.

otherwise teh paltry few dgerees you get from solar wont actually help.

No 2 is to build plenty of thermal mass into the place: that at least
allows you to operate it like a bloody great storage rad when the sun IS
there.

Areas are about 1,000 sq ft of workshop and a 12' wide roof to sit it
on (the ridge faces South, so the panel would sit above this, against
a South-facing wall). If that's impractical, it might still be useful
to heat a 12' square area of the workshop alone.

Your best bet there is to create an insulated igloo inside that space.

Raised floor and false walls made of celotex covered panels. Or
****loads of rockwool.

That will only take a few hundred watts to heat. You may find that
ultimately its cheaper to have a fan blower in there.

Any advice on building a simulation model (probably Excel, nothing
clever) ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:49:59 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops?

Swimming pool solar panels - which presumably have to generate large
amounts of heat but at a low temperature rise - use black twinwall
polycarb sheet, with water running through the channels in the sheet.
There's an arrangement of a sort of slit pipe enclosing the top and bottom
edges for feeding water in and out. DIYable if you get ornery twinwall and
paint, I guess, or the material might be cheap enough from whoever makes
it for pool heaters.

I presume you're going for underfloor heating to make best use of low
temperature heat and avoid trying to heat the air as well as the H-A-Cs.

--
John Stumbles

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:49:59 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators etc.
The intended result is to raise the Winter temperature of an otherwise
unheated non-commercial workshop to "habitable" (for hairy- arsed
chippies wearing check lumberjack shirts).

Old radiators/hosepipe pancakes/twinwall and pipes on the roof, feeding a
plant-watering system manifold to lots of long nylon tubes, one to each
chippy, through a mesh of pipes sewn into the aforementioned check shirts
then back to the roof.

Should work a treat, if they are careful not to move around too much.

If they're like the chippies I see working on the building site across
the road, shouldn't be an issue.

Also has the advantage of looking like a Thunderbirds rehearsal...

HTH ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:49:59 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

[...]

The Build it Solar site is well worth looking at for this sort of
thing.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...rn_project.htm
looks like a possible option and it doesn't use water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.
A source of a couple of radiators which are continent and free to use is
key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 6:49*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

Think this is what youre looking for:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...ce_Heating.htm

there are ways to trim cost further

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 20:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.

I was up there last week. No bloody use whatsoever. I went there with
three questions and didn't get an answer to one of them! I didn't even
buy anything in the bookshop (which is almost unheard of).

* What's the SotA in greywater toilet flush?
You don't. We don't, therefore you don't.

* Can I do a thin-layer sedum green roof on corrugated cement?
No idea. Try it. If it doesn't either collapse or the soil slips
into the gulleys, let us know.

* Solar - got any numbers?
Numbers? Real quantitative stuff? Devilry!

Eco-disney there these days. Cute funicular, but it's more about showing
urban kids how We Plant the Seed..., Nature Grows the Seed... than it
is about beardies with pipe wrenches any more.

I shall enquire Wookiewards...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.

I was up there last week. No bloody use whatsoever. I went there with
three questions and didn't get an answer to one of them! I didn't even
buy anything in the bookshop (which is almost unheard of).

* What's the SotA in greywater toilet flush?
You don't. We don't, therefore you don't.

* Can I do a thin-layer sedum green roof on corrugated cement?
No idea. Try it. If it doesn't either collapse or the soil slips
into the gulleys, let us know.

* Solar - got any numbers?
Numbers? Real quantitative stuff? Devilry!

Eco-disney there these days. Cute funicular, but it's more about showing
urban kids how We Plant the Seed..., Nature Grows the Seed... than it
is about beardies with pipe wrenches any more.

I shall enquire Wookiewards...

You should thank your lucky stars they let you go. You could have been
detained until you passed Ecobabble (Advanced) and How to play
cu-by-yar on a whistle made from a recycled straw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc. The intended result is to raise the Winter temperature of an
otherwise unheated non-commercial workshop to "habitable" (for hairy-
arsed chippies wearing check lumberjack shirts).

I have been thinking of working in my garage during the winter, but it
is very, very cold. The main reason for the heat loss is the very
"leaky" garage door. This is a four-year-old, well-built property, but
garage doors are not designed to be airtight. The main door to the
house (from the garage) is well insulated, so the cold air does not
permeate from garage to dwelling.

So, in order to keep any heat generated within the garage, e.g. from a
fan heater or oil-filled electric radiator, I am considering the
construction of a removable wall 6" in from the garage door. This
sectional wall will be removed in the spring. The sections will be
light enough and narrow enough to store in the loft during the summer.
I envisage a 2" x 1" pine frame covered with hardboard both sides and
filled with loft insulation. The important thing will be to ensure a
snug fit around the outside of the wall (between wall, floor and
ceiling).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be easier to do some rudimentary draught proofing on the garage
door and cover the inside of the opening with a piece of old carpet fixed at
the top and sides? You'll get 70-80% of the insulating effect at almost zero
cost and effort

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.

I was up there last week. No bloody use whatsoever. I went there with
three questions and didn't get an answer to one of them! I didn't even
buy anything in the bookshop (which is almost unheard of).

* What's the SotA in greywater toilet flush?
You don't. We don't, therefore you don't.

* Can I do a thin-layer sedum green roof on corrugated cement?
No idea. Try it. If it doesn't either collapse or the soil slips
into the gulleys, let us know.

* Solar - got any numbers?
Numbers? Real quantitative stuff? Devilry!

Eco-disney there these days. Cute funicular, but it's more about showing
urban kids how We Plant the Seed..., Nature Grows the Seed... than it
is about beardies with pipe wrenches any more.

They were interviewed on the Today program a month or two back.
I was amazed how clueless they were when asked things like what
the payback period was on a house wind turbine. The guy said they
didn't know and were starting to look into it. It's been known
for ages how useless the things are and that they are never
likely to come close to paying back in their lifetime.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.

I was up there last week. No bloody use whatsoever. I went there with
three questions and didn't get an answer to one of them! I didn't even
buy anything in the bookshop (which is almost unheard of).

* What's the SotA in greywater toilet flush?
You don't. We don't, therefore you don't.

* Can I do a thin-layer sedum green roof on corrugated cement?
No idea. Try it. If it doesn't either collapse or the soil slips
into the gulleys, let us know.

* Solar - got any numbers?
Numbers? Real quantitative stuff? Devilry!

Eco-disney there these days. Cute funicular, but it's more about showing
urban kids how We Plant the Seed..., Nature Grows the Seed... than it
is about beardies with pipe wrenches any more.

I agree. We were very disappointed in several ways.

I wrote to them, offering advice and a source of local human help with their
dreadful observation hive amd had no reply. The local beekeeper didn't hear
anything either.

The worst thing was the polytunnel and other plots full of over-ripe
vegetables, beans hadn't been picked at all etc. Yet in the restaurant there
were packs and tins of imported foods.

Some displays weren't working. Staff were few and far between - except in
the tat shop.

Sorry to drift but it certainly wasn't a good advert for anything :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That statement applies to most dumbed down greenwash, sadly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:31:59 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

No, because the gaps aren't regular. They appear as part of the garage
door fixing and roller mechanism. This is not this particular garage
door since garage doors aren't designed to be air tight. Sticking on
old bits of carpet to plug the gaps would look very untidy.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc.

In reality most of the DIY solar stuff don't work that well in the depths of
winter when ther is little sun and its freezing outside, just when you need
the heat in the workshop.

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Anyone got useful experience or recommendations for links / books
reading on _very_ low capital cost solar heating for space-heating of
workshops? I'm looking at the real "Scrapyard Challenge" end of the
problem, with almost everything being built from recycled radiators
etc.

In reality most of the DIY solar stuff don't work that well in the depths of
winter when ther is little sun and its freezing outside, just when you need
the heat in the workshop.

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

-

yeah..like my sister enthuisng that she doesn't neeed to run an
immersion heater at all in summer. She lives in the pelopennese, with
regular daytime temps in the 40's ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

C.A.T. in Wales (Machynlleth SP?) has just that info.

I was up there last week. No bloody use whatsoever. I went there with
three questions and didn't get an answer to one of them! I didn't even
buy anything in the bookshop (which is almost unheard of).

* What's the SotA in greywater toilet flush?
You don't. We don't, therefore you don't.

* Can I do a thin-layer sedum green roof on corrugated cement?
No idea. Try it. If it doesn't either collapse or the soil slips
into the gulleys, let us know.

* Solar - got any numbers?
Numbers? Real quantitative stuff? Devilry!

Eco-disney there these days. Cute funicular, but it's more about showing
urban kids how We Plant the Seed..., Nature Grows the Seed... than it
is about beardies with pipe wrenches any more.

I shall enquire Wookiewards...

Somewhere I've got a book from the olden days. It is all about diy
including making the comparator unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jul, 19:37, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I'm also surprised that you're asking - that's a compliment by the way.

Thanks, but I need figures for what real-world losses are from the
front surface of this sort of collector. You really can't predict that
with any confidence. Rearward losses (courtesy of 6" of rockwool) are
effectively zero in comparison.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying
something like:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

They're full of **** and take the credit for others' work. The MEN
heater was a dreadful design and has been improved radically in recent
years by many people, some collaborating via yahoo groups and some just
putting their improvements up on the net - then JtF come along and say
it was something to do with them.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul, 15:40, "Mark" wrote:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Haven't got any oil, have got a large quantity of scrap wood.

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account
of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 8 Jul, 15:40, "Mark" wrote:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Haven't got any oil, have got a large quantity of scrap wood.

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account
of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.

If you have scrap wood, get a wood burning stove and a double skinned
chimbley.

no chance of any sparks leaping out except when you load.

REALLY efficient. spit out a ****load of heat.

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul, 15:40, "Mark" wrote:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Haven't got any oil, have got a large quantity of scrap wood.

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account
of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.

Understandable, ive got a separate semi-fireproof structure that holds my
workshop heating generator.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying
something like:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

They're full of **** and take the credit for others' work.

Quite possibly, it was just a pointer to something that would produce heat
at 9am on a freezing winter's morning, rather then DIY solar, which would
not.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:28:01 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Quite possibly, it was just a pointer to something that would produce heat
at 9am on a freezing winter's morning, rather then DIY solar, which would
not.

S'ok. I don't do Winter mornings anyway... 8-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 8 Jul, 15:40, "Mark" wrote:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Haven't got any oil, have got a large quantity of scrap wood.

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account
of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.

If you have scrap wood, get a wood burning stove and a double skinned
chimbley.

no chance of any sparks leaping out except when you load.

REALLY efficient. spit out a ****load of heat.

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

What kind of woodworker wastes that much? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 8 Jul, 15:40, "Mark" wrote:

Build a waste oil heater instead
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Haven't got any oil, have got a large quantity of scrap wood.

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account
of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.

If you have scrap wood, get a wood burning stove and a double skinned
chimbley.

no chance of any sparks leaping out except when you load.

REALLY efficient. spit out a ****load of heat.

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

What kind of woodworker wastes that much? :-)

someone making up say 50 doors a day?

I could not believe how much sawdust the firm that made mine produces,
as well as short unusable lenghts of plank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul, 08:32, stuart noble wrote:

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

What kind of woodworker wastes that much? :-)

Green woodworkers and turners. If you're working from logs directly
(i.e. no-one else has generated the initial waste streams from it)
then the amount of waste you can produce, relative to merely everyday
production levels, is surprisingly large.

Unfortunately it's also as green (i.e. damp) thick shavings and unless
it's ash, you have to wait for a week before they'll burn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 10 Jul, 08:32, stuart noble wrote:

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

What kind of woodworker wastes that much? :-)

Green woodworkers and turners. If you're working from logs directly
(i.e. no-one else has generated the initial waste streams from it)
then the amount of waste you can produce, relative to merely everyday
production levels, is surprisingly large.

Unfortunately it's also as green (i.e. damp) thick shavings and unless
it's ash, you have to wait for a week before they'll burn.

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul, 11:54, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

Not enough of it though 8-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 10 Jul, 11:54, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

Not enough of it though 8-(

LOL! Some folk are never happy.

Especially with something a woman does :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
Mary Fisher wrote:
Unfortunately it's also as green (i.e. damp) thick shavings and unless
it's ash, you have to wait for a week before they'll burn.

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

She didn't always make the storage space required to keep a week's worth
of shavings though.

You'll have to rent another field :-)

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Unfortunately it's also as green (i.e. damp) thick shavings and unless
it's ash, you have to wait for a week before they'll burn.

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

She didn't always make the storage space required to keep a week's worth
of shavings though.

I can keep a months shavings in my electric shaver ;-)

Dave

I've got me coat on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying
something like:

They're full of **** and take the credit for others' work.

Quite possibly, it was just a pointer to something that would produce heat
at 9am on a freezing winter's morning, rather then DIY solar, which would
not.

Fwiw, I'd recommend a bit of digging around and start off with a couple
of yahoo groups; vegoilburners and wastewatts to name but two. There's a
pile of info on this sort of stuff; here's a starter...
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...m/f/8541078231 ... I
recommend the Military Heater on ebay thread (heavy going, but worth it)
and also look for stuff from Tim C Cook there too.
Google for Steve Spence's site - he's got a lot of stuff going.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants [email protected] UK diy 112 April 6th 10 11:41 AM
Sign of damage seen in space station solar panel gear (Metal content) Camilo Ramos Metalworking 9 October 31st 07 10:32 PM
Cannibalism On Capital Hill! Introducing The Dourties, Chelsea, Bill, Hillary, Barrack Obama, George Bush, Jr., And Capital Hill! Leonard Shapiro Woodworking 0 October 10th 07 10:05 PM
Solar Heating Matt Home Ownership 11 February 8th 05 11:55 PM
Solar space heating idea BigWallop UK diy 43 July 15th 03 03:26 PM