Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plug puzzle

Hi

Been drilling lots of 3" deep holes in masonry, then fitting 2
wallplugs into each to screw into. Sometimes 2 will go in, but often
not, and I'm not seeing why. I dont see how it could be remaining
debris in the hole, as the drill bit fitted ok. The plugs are lipless
and not tight in the hole. Any ideas?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi

Been drilling lots of 3" deep holes in masonry, then fitting 2
wallplugs into each to screw into. Sometimes 2 will go in, but often
not, and I'm not seeing why. I dont see how it could be remaining
debris in the hole, as the drill bit fitted ok. The plugs are lipless
and not tight in the hole. Any ideas?

NT

I don't understand why you are not using a suitable (single ) plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun, 23:02, wrote:
Hi

Been drilling lots of 3" deep holes in masonry, then fitting 2
wallplugs into each to screw into. Sometimes 2 will go in, but often
not, and I'm not seeing why. I dont see how it could be remaining
debris in the hole, as the drill bit fitted ok. The plugs are lipless
and not tight in the hole. Any ideas?

NT

Usually the hole is not cleaned out properly, and brick dust is at the
back of the hole blocking it. The masonry drill design allow this to
happen, since the shaft is thin and the tip is kind of flattened.
Also, the hole can be a bit jagged, or a loose bit of brick / mortar
can drop down into the hole. Often you can pull out the drill bit and
when you push it straight back in it does not go all the way back in.
Hoover out, blow it out (close your eyes), or otherwise extract the
debris. You can use a twist drill to do this, indicating why a masonry
bit allows it in the first place. Its been this every time I've had
the problem.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 20, 10:14*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 19 Jun, 23:02, wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I suspect my clearing technique is inadequate. I've used hoover
or blown in, but I dont see that working at the bottom of a blind 3"
hole, so I guess it needs a blower with a tube on.

Why am I uing 2 plugs? weak masonry, one plug is too insecure.

cheers, NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

I guess it needs a blower with a tube on.
cheers, NT

I use a bendy straw. Bend it 90 degress; put short end in the hole;
blow in the long end - saves a black / dusty face. A few of them live
in my tool box.

M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 02:14:36 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Usually the hole is not cleaned out properly, and brick dust is at the
back of the hole blocking it. The masonry drill design allow this to
happen, since the shaft is thin and the tip is kind of flattened.
Also, the hole can be a bit jagged, or a loose bit of brick / mortar
can drop down into the hole. Often you can pull out the drill bit and
when you push it straight back in it does not go all the way back in.
Hoover out, blow it out (close your eyes), or otherwise extract the
debris. You can use a twist drill to do this, indicating why a masonry
bit allows it in the first place. Its been this every time I've had
the problem.

Hilti used to (they may still) sell a rubber bulb fitted to a bit of
rigid plastic pipe, to blow debris out of drilled holes.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Usually the hole is not cleaned out properly, and brick dust is at the
back of the hole blocking it. The masonry drill design allow this to
happen, since the shaft is thin and the tip is kind of flattened.
Also, the hole can be a bit jagged, or a loose bit of brick / mortar
can drop down into the hole. Often you can pull out the drill bit and
when you push it straight back in it does not go all the way back in.
Hoover out, blow it out (close your eyes), or otherwise extract the
debris. You can use a twist drill to do this, indicating why a masonry
bit allows it in the first place. Its been this every time I've had
the problem.

Hilti used to (they may still) sell a rubber bulb fitted to a bit of
rigid plastic pipe, to blow debris out of drilled holes.

Or just drill a deeper hole than you need to accommodate the debris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 19 Jun, 23:02, wrote:
[...]

Use the fan on the drill to blow the **** out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 20, 10:18*pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
On 19 Jun, 23:02, wrote:

[...]

clever, will try that

NT

swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug pstock Home Repair 14 October 8th 10 05:54 PM
Toy Truck / Puzzle (1/1) ray Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 11th 07 09:40 PM
Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 02:51 PM
OT - Map Puzzle Cliff Metalworking 3 March 25th 05 08:16 AM
Puzzle Robatoy Woodworking 4 January 13th 05 02:20 PM