Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - notebook PC purchasing advice

Apologies for the OT post but I know there are a lot of folk here who
are highly knowledgable on matters IT, and whose advice I trust...

SWMBO's been dropping birthday hints, and I'm looking for a subnotebook
computer, or whatever you call them. This is for use outside the home;
I suppose the main use will be internet/email (mainly wifi, maybe very
occasionally GSM via a mobile phone) and the odd DVD and storing digital
photos. Major criteria are bulk and weight; she's not interested in the
techie stuff (but of course she will be when it doesn't work as fast or
efficiently as she thinks it should!). Definitely needs wifi,
preferably DVD drive (even if as an add-on).

To give you the idea - we currently have an elderly Dell whose
performance is probably acceptable, other than it weighs in at 3.4kg and
has a 34cm x 27cm footprint. I know she's seen dinky 1.2 kg one like
this "which looks like the sort of thing":
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_LifeBook_P7120_GPJ:GBR-202200-002/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&gclid=COalvbaa5ZMC FQLBsgodWHobZA

That particular model's about 800 quid. I suppose that would be OK if
need be; but just been doing a bit of googling, and find a massive range
in price and presumably specs for similar kit, and realise that I don't
really know what I should be looking for.

For example - dabs.com have a little HP machine at only 328 quid, which
seems way cheaper than everything else:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=53DD Only has 1Gb RAM
and costs another 100 quid for an add-on DVD drive, which takes it to,
what, 450? but other than that it am I missing anything?

Any advice on this from you experts much appreciated.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote in

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujit..._GPJ:GBR-20220
0-002/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&gclid=COalvbaa5ZMC FQLBsgodWHobZA

That particular model's about 800 quid. I suppose that would be OK if
need be; but just been doing a bit of googling, and find a massive
range in price and presumably specs for similar kit, and realise that
I don't really know what I should be looking for.

For example - dabs.com have a little HP machine at only 328 quid,
which seems way cheaper than everything else:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=53DD Only has 1Gb
RAM and costs another 100 quid for an add-on DVD drive, which takes
it to, what, 450? but other than that it am I missing anything?

Any advice on this from you experts much appreciated.

An expert will be along soon but, in the meantime...

Acer Extensa 4220-101G08Mi
Celeron M 540 / 1.86 GHz
RAM 1 GB
HDD 80 GB
DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM
Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11b/g
Win XP Pro
14.1" Widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

£281.99 inc VAT
http://tinyurl.com/5tbpcz

Acer seem to have a good rep at the budget end and we've had no problems
with one that was bought a year ago. Alternatively, and probably a step up
in quality and features, we've got several Toshibas that have been very
satisfactory. Worth a look round the Insight site.
http://tinyurl.com/yvqdge

I won't pretend that the above are the laptops that you've dreamt about but,
for the money, I have no complaints. We use half a dozen Toshibas for
working away from the office and have never been let down.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Given that your wife is an adult would it not be a good idea to discuss what
she wants in the computer line and get her that along with a surpise item?

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterMcC wrote:
Lobster wrote in

[...]

Thanks for that: think these are somewhat heavier and bulkier than the
target 1.2kg-ish. Interestingly, if you filter the search criteria on
the Insight site by weight, and select 1.2kg as the maximum, then apart
from a few solid-state Linux internet-surfing devices etc, the cheapest
'proper' PC which comes up is actually the Fujitsu I mentioned in my OP,
at ~800 quid.

Which makes me all the more curious about the far cheaper HP model I
mentioned - I note that it's provided with "SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop 10" - does that mean it won't run Windows XP (whose cost would
need to be factored in if so)?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

MacBook Air (before AH suggests it)? OK, so it's 1.36 Kg...

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

SWMBO's been dropping birthday hints, and I'm looking for a subnotebook
computer, or whatever you call them. This is for use outside the home;
I suppose the main use will be internet/email (mainly wifi, maybe very
occasionally GSM via a mobile phone) and the odd DVD and storing digital
photos. Major criteria are bulk and weight; she's not interested in the
techie stuff (but of course she will be when it doesn't work as fast or
efficiently as she thinks it should!). Definitely needs wifi,
preferably DVD drive (even if as an add-on).

An Asus Eee PC would seem to fit that spec spot on.

The newer bigger one looks like:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04..._asus_eee_900/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 23:38:48 +0100, Rod said:

MacBook Air (before AH suggests it)? OK, so it's 1.36 Kg...

They are nice, as long as one isn't a power user.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Lobster wrote:

SWMBO's been dropping birthday hints, and I'm looking for a subnotebook
computer, or whatever you call them. This is for use outside the home;
I suppose the main use will be internet/email (mainly wifi, maybe very
occasionally GSM via a mobile phone) and the odd DVD and storing
digital photos. Major criteria are bulk and weight; she's not
interested in the techie stuff (but of course she will be when it
doesn't work as fast or efficiently as she thinks it should!).
Definitely needs wifi, preferably DVD drive (even if as an add-on).

An Asus Eee PC would seem to fit that spec spot on.

The newer bigger one looks like:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04..._asus_eee_900/

Thanks for this; never having heard of these I'm definitely very
interested and have been clueing myself up on them.

One concern is the Linux o/s which neither SWMBO or me have ever used;
if it were me I'm sure I'd be fine with it but knowing er indoors as I
do I strongly suspect that would be an issue, so I'd only buy it on the
proviso that I could swap to XP. I'm presuming that would mean buying a
USB CD/DVD drive (which I suppose we'd probably want anyway) to be able
to access an XP installation disk? or could it be done over my home network?

Also - despite already owning 3 copies of XP for the families' existing
PCs, I assume I'd need to buy another one? Having just checked dabs,
that costs an eye-watering and deal-breaking £191 though. I'd happily
buy a cheap legit 2nd hand version off eg ebay but haven't MS tied XP
license numbers tied to individual PCs now - ie, would an ebay version
work? Or is there a more reasonable way forward?!

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

An Asus Eee PC would seem to fit that spec spot on.

The newer bigger one looks like:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04..._asus_eee_900/

Thanks for this; never having heard of these I'm definitely very
interested and have been clueing myself up on them.

One concern is the Linux o/s which neither SWMBO or me have ever used;
if it were me I'm sure I'd be fine with it but knowing er indoors as I
do I strongly suspect that would be an issue, so I'd only buy it on the
proviso that I could swap to XP. I'm presuming that would mean buying a
USB CD/DVD drive (which I suppose we'd probably want anyway) to be able
to access an XP installation disk? or could it be done over my home
network?

They do a version with XP preloaded as well. IIRC that has a hard drive
as well though so battery life is not quite as good. There are also
plenty of sites explaining how to add XP yourself.

Also - despite already owning 3 copies of XP for the families' existing
PCs, I assume I'd need to buy another one? Having just checked dabs,
that costs an eye-watering and deal-breaking £191 though. I'd happily

You can legitimately move an install of XP only if it was bought as a
retail version and not an OEM preloaded one.

buy a cheap legit 2nd hand version off eg ebay but haven't MS tied XP
license numbers tied to individual PCs now - ie, would an ebay version
work? Or is there a more reasonable way forward?!

Well if you want XP then get the Eee with XP, although it loses a little
of its "turnkey" charm. (the Linux on it is setup such that it does
everything you need from the outset - email, browsing, media playback,
digital images etc. So you never need to get any closer to it than that).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

AFAICS you can buy a 12Gb or 20Gb version with Linux, but if you want XP
you must get the 20Gb. Haven't come across any mention of a non-solid
state hard drive though; and in fact haven't found anywhere flogging
them preloaded with XP yet (haven't searched exhaustively yet though).

Also - despite already owning 3 copies of XP for the families'
existing PCs, I assume I'd need to buy another one? Having just
checked dabs, that costs an eye-watering and deal-breaking £191
though. I'd happily

You can legitimately move an install of XP only if it was bought as a
retail version and not an OEM preloaded one.

Ah - just been looking at ebay where in fact there are lots of
shrunkwrapped copies of XP for around 60 quid, with the rider "this will
be shipped with a non-peripheral component to meet Microsoft's OEM
guidelines" which now makes more sense to me. Does that mean these
copies are OK, and will work, and are kosher (if bending the rules?)

Well if you want XP then get the Eee with XP, although it loses a little
of its "turnkey" charm. (the Linux on it is setup such that it does
everything you need from the outset - email, browsing, media playback,
digital images etc. So you never need to get any closer to it than that).

Not having found the two versions to compare for specs/price yet, I was
thinking maybe get the Linux version to try out, and if SWMBO deems it
unfit for purpose, then add in XP later: however I'd need to be sure
that was definitely feasible from a practical and economic viewpoint.

Thanks again for your feedback.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/EEEPC...BK/version.asp
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_...-W/version.asp

(solid state version)

Also - despite already owning 3 copies of XP for the families'
existing PCs, I assume I'd need to buy another one? Having just
checked dabs, that costs an eye-watering and deal-breaking £191
though. I'd happily

You can legitimately move an install of XP only if it was bought as a
retail version and not an OEM preloaded one.

Ah - just been looking at ebay where in fact there are lots of
shrunkwrapped copies of XP for around 60 quid, with the rider "this will
be shipped with a non-peripheral component to meet Microsoft's OEM
guidelines" which now makes more sense to me. Does that mean these
copies are OK, and will work, and are kosher (if bending the rules?)

If you buy a OEM one with a storage device then you are technically
within the rules. In fact if you ordered one at the same time as the PC
you would also be fine. Also have a look at the educational discount
versions of XP - they can be equally cheap and it is hard *not* to meet
the qualification criteria!

Well if you want XP then get the Eee with XP, although it loses a
little of its "turnkey" charm. (the Linux on it is setup such that it
does everything you need from the outset - email, browsing, media
playback, digital images etc. So you never need to get any closer to
it than that).

Not having found the two versions to compare for specs/price yet, I was
thinking maybe get the Linux version to try out, and if SWMBO deems it
unfit for purpose, then add in XP later: however I'd need to be sure
that was definitely feasible from a practical and economic viewpoint.

Sounds like a workable plan...

Lots of versions he

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/s...discontinued=0

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thinkpad T series are very good - but expensive.

Dell outlet as mentioned.
Check warranty with them, they will offer 3yr at cost.

Also www.mcscom.co.uk who can have good prices.
Refurbished 1yr, 3yr & Dell refurbished & new available.

What you have not mentioned is warranty.
A laptop is pretty much a single point of failure with the
mainboard cost nearly equal to the laptop. Realise Sony
can be very difficult over parts, whereas Dell & Thinkpad
service manuals are downloadable, parts sourceable.

Well worth considering a 3yr warranty on a laptop,
unless the economics indicate self-insurace is better.

Extended warranty are rarely worth it, except for laptop,
plasma especially and even LCD. In that vein take a look
at John Lewis - I think their laptops have free 2yr warranty.
That on balance might be a good economic balance.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Lobster wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Well - have gone for it and ordered the bigger version, ie with Linux
you'll be pleased to hear! Will see how that goes first, and whether we
can get away without XP.

Many thanks again for all the advice.
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Well - have gone for it and ordered the bigger version, ie with Linux
you'll be pleased to hear! Will see how that goes first, and whether we
can get away without XP.

Let us know how it goes...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-12 23:47:07 +0100, Lobster said:

Well - have gone for it and ordered the bigger version, ie with Linux
you'll be pleased to hear! Will see how that goes first, and whether
we can get away without XP.

Of course you can. Just recite the mantra....

"My name's David and I'm an XP user"

"Hello David"

and so on......

The addiction will soon pass....