Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Full English

Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but who
decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on
proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's
what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but
who decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on
proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's
what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but you can
have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie
breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper) or tea
/ coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the door for
them.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but you can
have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie
breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper) or tea
/ coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the
door for
them.

But where is the black pudding?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 10:29:23 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but you can
have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie
breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper) or tea
/ coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the
door for
them.

But where is the black pudding?

... and the kedgeree...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 8, 10:29*am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

And the best addition to a Full English is white pudding imported from
a Full Irish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:29 am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

Vital.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

mike wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:29 am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

Vital.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Fried bread is what your fried half tomato is for - I always squish mine on
top of the fried bread - that's the best bit!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

I couldn't believe that when I was 'treated' to breakfast in USA ...
bleurch!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

No thanks, I'm not a colonial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, mike
writes
On Jun 8, 10:29*am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

Political food correctness has not reached parts of Ludlow as I had
fried bread with a full English last weekend:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast -
a Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

All those foreign cafe owners?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but
who decided they were a breakfast item?

They're not part of a traditional breakfast - even if such a thing ever
existed as it would have varied by region and time of year. Using just
local produce. Which could have included bacon, eggs and mushrooms but
probably nothing else we get now.

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch
on proper fried left over potatoes.

But much easier to cook for those foreign owners...;-)

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns
that's what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

I do rather like fried tomatoes. Which were a bit of a delicacy when I
were a lad instead of commonplace now - like so much else.

A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge,
herrings or kippers, and boiled eggs.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 12:08:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge,

salt, no sugar, no milk?

herrings or kippers,

Arbroath Smokies?

and boiled eggs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but

who
decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on
proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's
what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Depends where you're,a full English here in my locality is....
Bacon,Egg,Tomato,Beans,Sausage and Oninons with three slices of toast and a
Mug O tea.

Beans has always been part of the FEB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but you
can
have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie
breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper) or
tea
/ coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the
door for
them.

But where is the black pudding?

--
Roger Chapman

Surprisingly little demand for it down here

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:29 am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

Vital.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I agree with that if I'm having it at home, but it's a 'logistics' issue
when you are trying to produce them commercially. When the whole breakfast
is made fresh, which is what gets people queueing up for them, it just takes
too long to produce a 'proper' piece of fried bread.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

I couldn't believe that when I was 'treated' to breakfast in USA ...
bleurch!

Mary

How rude of you! I expect they would probably feel the same if they had a
plate of pigs blood fried in lard put in front of them ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Tomatoes need to be over-ripe before being used to fry, and they need to be
done slowly until they just start to 'catch'. It's those slightly blackened
edges that put all the real flavour into them ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 12:24:27 +0100, "George" said:

[...]

In Little Chef, possibly.

Beans has always been part of the FEB.

Even before there were beans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 12:08:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge,

salt, no sugar, no milk?

herrings or kippers,

Arbroath Smokies?

and boiled eggs.

A restaurant that I used to frequent with my wife before we were married (we
thought we were soooo sophisticated going to a 'real' restaurant !) used to
do Arbroath Smokies with a beautiful cream and tomato sauce, as a starter. I
used to love 'em, but I don't think I have had them - or even seen them
here, since. Sadly, the retaurant is long since gone ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but who
decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on
proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's
what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

Baked beans are simply too sweet. I do eat them but would be delighted
if someone came out with an unsweetened version (no - not by adding
sweeteners).

Hash browns are about the worst thing anyone ever decided to do to
potatoes. They always seems to be sort-of uncooked - however long they
have been in the oven or pan. Absolutely - leftover mash (or boiled),
bacon fat, and a really runny (just lightly warmed) egg yolk or two.

Love tomatoes. Hate tinned tomatoes (unless a recipe ingredient). Hate
tomatoes with egg - especially raw toms. A really horrible combination
that seems to curdle on the plate or, given the chance, in the mouth.

What did I actually have for breakfast (in the real world, not the
fantasy you invited me into)? Own-brand Shreddie-alikes. Better luck
next week.

(Before anyone mentions cholesterol:

"The body can synthesise up to 1 gram of cholesterol per day, while only
20-40 mg per day is absorbed from food."

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/cardiac/cholstat.html )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

I couldn't believe that when I was 'treated' to breakfast in USA ...
bleurch!

Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup, yummy! Guaranteed to keep you
farting all day!

I bow to your greater experience :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 02:53:53 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

Not south of Manchester...

And the fried bread?

I was wondering that. My full English:

Smoked back bacon (cooked to *just* starting to crisp), pork sausage,
fried slice, fried egg (two), black pudding, fried mushrooms. Large mug of
tea and two buttered slices (not toast).

Trouble is I've been veggie for 15+ years... So that now becomes no bacon
or black pudding and veggie sauasage (Caludron foods lincolnshire or
"cumberland", not quorn or McCartney crap).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

What did I actually have for breakfast (in the real world, not the fantasy
you invited me into)? Own-brand Shreddie-alikes. Better luck next week.

On Sundays we have cooked breakfast - grapefruit then toast. It's special
because it's excellent bread and honey, lemon curd, rose petal preserve,
marmalade all made by me using my bees' and hens' produce. Can't do better.

Oh, and coffee, with whole real milk. Bottoms to cholesterol!

Rest of the week I have Grape Nuts, Spouse and grand daughter have boring
old muesli from a Dorset packet.

What others have talked about as a full English breakfast would be too much
in a morning, I occasionally make eggs, bacon and tomatoes for a main meal.
No fried bread, it makes the house smell. Plain fresh bread is good for
mopping juices.

My dad used to make eggs, bacon and tomatoes on Sunday mornings, I remember
most the bit of charred wood he used to keep the pan tilted to baste the
eggs. Bit of firewood originally I expect but it was sacred to the kitchen.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

But where is the black pudding?

Oh, I see someone has already asked... Hi Roger!

Hi Anne

Being beaten to the draw is always a problem on Usenet. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s),
mushrooms
Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same
plate? shudder
Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

I couldn't believe that when I was 'treated' to breakfast in USA ...
bleurch!

Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup, yummy! Guaranteed to keep you
farting all day!

No baked beans in it, so precious little farting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Roger contains these words:

The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but
you can
have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie
breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato,
egg(s),
mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper)
or tea
/ coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the
door for
them.

But where is the black pudding?

Oh, I see someone has already asked... Hi Roger!

--
AnneJ

Has eveyone forgotten the HP sauce? No matter what is on the breakfast
(black pudding hopefully) it needs HP.

Now made in Belgium I believe.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

[...]

Can't be bothered to check (yet again) what is and what is not
interfered with, medication-wise, by grapefruit. So we never have that.

Coffee. Yes. Lavazza. Strong.

But I least I got out of the habit of needing a cigarette before
anything else. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 484bbffb@qaanaaq,
Andy Hall wrote:
A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge,

salt, no sugar, no milk?

Salt and milk. Still like 'them' like that.

herrings or kippers,

Arbroath Smokies?

Not coming from Aberdeen, no? ;-)

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I agree with that if I'm having it at home, but it's a 'logistics'
issue when you are trying to produce them commercially. When the
whole breakfast is made fresh, which is what gets people queueing up
for them, it just takes too long to produce a 'proper' piece of fried
bread.

Really? Surely you just dip a slice of stale bread in the deep fat frier
to soak it in fat and chuck it on the griddle that you're frying the
egg, bacon and soss on?

Not many caffs use fat these days. Clogs the injectors. ;-)

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 15:22:23 +0100, Rod said:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

[...]

Very many things. Grapefruit is definitely of limits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 12:59:12 +0100, Rod said:

(Before anyone mentions cholesterol:

"The body can synthesise up to 1 gram of cholesterol per day, while
only 20-40 mg per day is absorbed from food."

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/cardiac/cholstat.html )

Yes, and of course the liver can synthesise many things from many things.

Which reminds me. If that f*cking doctor uses the phrases "good
cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" rather than HDL and LDL again, he's
in for a fat lip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:29 am, Roger wrote:

But where is the black pudding?

And the fried bread?

Vital.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Fried bread is what your fried half tomato is for - I always squish
mine on top of the fried bread - that's the best bit!

Nah! The egg has to go on the fried bread.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
[...]

Daddies sauce is much betterer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-08 12:59:12 +0100, Rod said:

(Before anyone mentions cholesterol:

"The body can synthesise up to 1 gram of cholesterol per day, while
only 20-40 mg per day is absorbed from food."

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/cardiac/cholstat.html )

Yes, and of course the liver can synthesise many things from many
things.
Which reminds me. If that f*cking doctor uses the phrases "good
cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" rather than HDL and LDL again, he's
in for a fat lip.

He only ever reads what the pharmacutical companies have to say on the
subject, so he doesn't understand himself.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:37:04 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Tomatoes need to be over-ripe before being used to fry, and they need to be
done slowly until they just start to 'catch'. It's those slightly blackened
edges that put all the real flavour into them ...

I think they do quite well on our george foreman grill thing - you can
do virtually all a breakfast on that - although I've not been brave
enough to try doing an egg on one yet...
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Icky Thwacket wrote:
Fried bread is what your fried half tomato is for - I always squish
mine on top of the fried bread - that's the best bit!

Nah! The egg has to go on the fried bread.

These folks may have something to contribute:

Usenet
alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.c heerslove

Web site
http://cheerslove.org.uk/

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Full English Curry!

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Nah, Scrap that...

Nothing gets the metabolism going faster than a good curry... and the
ideal time of day to be tucking away carbs.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Which reminds me. If that f*cking doctor uses the phrases "good
cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" rather than HDL and LDL again, he's
in for a fat lip.

He only ever reads what the pharmacutical companies have to say on the
subject, so he doesn't understand himself.

Well, Drivel does style himself 'Dr'.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Full Size Mattress - Find SALES on Full Size Mattresses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 7th 08 04:41 AM
English - english.jpeg John Fields Electronic Schematics 14 June 5th 07 02:29 AM
english solder Peter Lener Electronics Repair 0 December 29th 05 03:18 PM
English Walnut robo hippy Woodturning 10 August 27th 05 08:25 AM
Amitor 1.0 now in English User defined Electronics 0 November 2nd 03 03:37 PM