Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default OT; Full English

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a
Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but who
decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on
proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's
what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

Baked beans are simply too sweet. I do eat them but would be delighted
if someone came out with an unsweetened version (no - not by adding
sweeteners).

Hash browns are about the worst thing anyone ever decided to do to
potatoes. They always seems to be sort-of uncooked - however long they
have been in the oven or pan. Absolutely - leftover mash (or boiled),
bacon fat, and a really runny (just lightly warmed) egg yolk or two.

Love tomatoes. Hate tinned tomatoes (unless a recipe ingredient). Hate
tomatoes with egg - especially raw toms. A really horrible combination
that seems to curdle on the plate or, given the chance, in the mouth.

What did I actually have for breakfast (in the real world, not the
fantasy you invited me into)? Own-brand Shreddie-alikes. Better luck
next week.

(Before anyone mentions cholesterol:

"The body can synthesise up to 1 gram of cholesterol per day, while only
20-40 mg per day is absorbed from food."

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/cardiac/cholstat.html )

--
Rod

onset.