Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT; Full English

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast -
a Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English
breakfast?

All those foreign cafe owners?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but
who decided they were a breakfast item?

They're not part of a traditional breakfast - even if such a thing ever
existed as it would have varied by region and time of year. Using just
local produce. Which could have included bacon, eggs and mushrooms but
probably nothing else we get now.

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch
on proper fried left over potatoes.

But much easier to cook for those foreign owners...;-)

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns
that's what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

I do rather like fried tomatoes. Which were a bit of a delicacy when I
were a lad instead of commonplace now - like so much else.

A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge,
herrings or kippers, and boiled eggs.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Tomatoes need to be over-ripe before being used to fry, and they need to be
done slowly until they just start to 'catch'. It's those slightly blackened
edges that put all the real flavour into them ...

Arfa